Sign in to follow this  

Football pitches/running fields

Does anyone know of any large areas of grass around the devonshire green area? Something like a football pitch would be perfect..I need somewhere to run but pavements are out cos of my knees :( . I dont wanna run on devonshire green itself as its a bit small and its always full of people.

The nearest places I can think of are weston park/crookes valley park and the ponderosa. The entrance to western park is just off western bank by the university - if you go through this you come out on crookes valley road opposite the entrance of crookes valley park, and the ponderosa is the other side of crookes valley road. I think weston park is probably only a 5/10 minute walk from devonshire green.

As Jayne says the ponderosa is probably your best bet. Another place you might investigate is the Cemetary of Ecclesall Road.

Nomme

There's a running track round the Uni playing field at Goodwin, access off Northumberland Road. It's cinder and wood chip, from memory, with some optional wooden steps and hurdles for variety.

I think that might be the track that is covered in an all weather sports pitch now, including a rather garish blue one. I think it might be possible to run round the edge now, though some of the path is now tarmac, so not really sure.

Originally posted by max

There's a running track round the Uni playing field at Goodwin, access off Northumberland Road. It's cinder and wood chip, from memory, with some optional wooden steps and hurdles for variety.

There used to be. Some of it is indeed tarmaced and fences have been erected across protions of it so you cannot do a circuit.

Nomme