Barbel on the River Don

Has any one had a barbel out of the river don on a regular basis,i have been told many stories of barbel in the river, and have had small barbel my self but i looking for some where on the river that there is a chance of hooking a biggie.All the stories seem to be of the strech near fleachers the weir pool there, but i have sat and watched anglers for ages fishing there and not a barbel to be seen.I have fished the same strech of the don for years now and i have hooked into fish with 7 lb line on that i just could not stop,but this has only happened to me 4 times out of 100's of visits all though small silver fish are one a chuck,and have seen my mate get 78lb in 5 hour,pretty good for a river that once was dead through pollution.I am one of those anglers that has to put a number on all my fish i like big fish small bits dont do it for me.so any advice will be graet thanks mick.

there are some big barbel in the don but not in great numbers. it's a case of perseverance and fishing different swims. anglers who catch a big fish tend to keep the location to themselves as i do. reveal it and the swim will get hammered.

There is an excellent stretch of the River Don at Denaby Main. Near the old Earth Centre. There is a huge pool where the South Yorkshire Navigational Canal and the River Dearne runs into the Don. Always produces a few decent Barbel and some nice Chub. Luncheon Meat fished over Hemp always produces. Day Tickets from Pauls Tackle Shop at Denaby Main. Also try the weir area of the River Dearne at Harlington and the nice shallow gravel swims of the River Dearne at Bolton on Dearne. I live local to these areas if you need help finding them. I have attached a link to a picture of my mate just to show the size of Barbel the River Dearne is producing there.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=130467390315763&set=a.161786563850512.36971.100000575094071&theater

i know of a couple of places on the don for big barbel my don best is 11 lb , but like to keep it to myself because it will get hammerd

try fishing behind stevensons scrap yard dow the cliffe some nice trout and the elusive barbell had some crackers myself there tight lines

since the weir pool above fletchers collapsed theres little evidence of em being there in numbers now