View Full Version : Does anyone use Rapeseed oil for cooking?

taxman
11-03-2011, 17:31
Just wondered as the doctor of a friend recommended it to him. According to the doctor it is healthier than olive oil and can help to lower cholesterol.

Has anybody cooked with it on here? Would anyone recommend it's cooking properties?

sibon
11-03-2011, 17:35
Just wondered as the doctor of a friend recommended it to him. According to the doctor it is healthier than olive oil and can help to lower cholesterol.

Has anybody cooked with it on here? Would anyone recommend it's cooking properties?

I use cheap Rapeseed Oil to fry in. It is labelled as "Vegetable Oil" in the supermarkets. You will find it near the Sunflower Oil.

It tastes fine and your Doc is right. Rapeseed Oil and Olive Oil are both high in Monounsaturated Fat. A litre of Rapeseed Oil is not much more than a pound.

I've never tried posh Rapeseed Oil though, I use Olive Oil for stuff like salad dressings.

taxman
11-03-2011, 17:39
I assumed Rapeseed oil was different to plain old vegetable oil.

Well, what do you know.......just checked my bottle of veg oil and it does indeed confirm what Sibon said.

Learn something new every day.

heavenlyarts
11-03-2011, 17:47
I buy Virgin Rapeseed oil and it's excellent.

http://www.hillfarmoils.com/

sibon
11-03-2011, 17:54
I buy Virgin Rapeseed oil and it's excellent.

http://www.hillfarmoils.com/

That is the sort of thing that I've never tried. It always seems rather expensive to me.

How does it taste?

heavenlyarts
11-03-2011, 17:57
I prefer it to Olive oil for cooking as it does not have a distinct flavour.

sibon
11-03-2011, 18:03
I prefer it to Olive oil for cooking as it does not have a distinct flavour.

That's where I use cheap rapeseed oil. I can't see the point in cooking with olive oil, most of the flavour molecules boil off really easily.

MedocMad
12-03-2011, 14:28
Got converted at a food roadshow last summer.

We buy a local producers rapeseed oil, it does have a different flavour and heats at a higher temp as well.

We paid 2.50 for each bottle so its pretty cheap.
Like anything though you only get what you are willing to pay in the quality dept.

Meaks
12-03-2011, 20:15
Crisp 'n Dry is rapeseed oil.

sibon
12-03-2011, 20:31
I assumed Rapeseed oil was different to plain old vegetable oil.

Well, what do you know.......just checked my bottle of veg oil and it does indeed confirm what Sibon said.

Learn something new every day.

I did a bit of research in Sainsbury's last night. The cheap Vegetable Oil and the expensive Extra Virgin Cold Pressed Rapeseed Oil both had the same proportions of saturated, polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats.

taxman
14-03-2011, 13:44
D'oh!

Just noticed today that the bottles of "vegetable oil" in Sainsburys and my cupboard have a great big picture of Oilseed Rape on them.....:cool: (blind)

Curry Idiot
14-03-2011, 22:26
A good all round oil, cheap, effective and not too unhealthy.

Kristian
19-03-2011, 21:59
I prefer rapeseed oil by far. It has a neutral taste, and is quite a dry oil to fry in.

blue-kat
24-03-2011, 09:17
rapeseed oil has a high smoking point so you can get foods really crispy without scorching. great for roast spuds.
I imagine cold pressed rapeseed oil is quite different to cheaper stuff.