View Full Version : Whos is right here

destroyer
09-03-2011, 15:11
Firstly before anyone say,s anything this is totaly road legal motorcycle.
Hower ever it is a old track racer so no lights no baffles in silencers.
Was pulled up with traffic cops was not given a ticket but told to make it road legal.
???? I said it is road legal and gave them test sheet and insurance after a couple of minutes silence said get it fixed or we will find other problems to fine you on.
What the fxxx sounds to me they dont like being proved wrong.

HeadingNorth
09-03-2011, 15:12
Can a motorbike be legal with no lights? :huh:

Tatman
09-03-2011, 15:14
Was pulled up with traffic cops was not given a ticket but told to make it road legal.
???? I said it is road legal and gave them test sheet and insurance after a couple of minutes silence said get it fixed or we will find other problems to fine you on.

Now before the Sheffield Forum Piglets start spouting how your lying, trolling or both.
Id just like to say i totaly believe you as my experience of the police is NO, the most definatly dont like to be proved wrong.
Which in my opinion makes it all the more funny when it happens.
Stick to your guns, make a formal complaint and get the bent rozzers the sack for being bullies and liars.

Waldo
09-03-2011, 15:23
On the other hand, you could take the perspective, that the officers are trying to do a public service.

If the it's kicking out a lot of noise; even though it's got tax, mot, insurance; there may well be other offences relating to noise pollution etc. Sounds like the officers were being fairly reasonable, and giving you the opportunity to resolve the issues, that you admit the bike has.

deadheadfred
09-03-2011, 15:41
No lights is legal - providing you are using it only in hours of daylight.

No baffles is a definite no-no, if i recall correctly. Something to do with the use and construction regs?

destroyer
09-03-2011, 16:00
Yes sorry forgot to point out it was tested with no lights and is restricted to day time useage only.Also was tested with straight through pipes because of its age there is no legal restriction.All this is documented with the MOT doc.
So to me because they got it wrong and will not admit to it they dont like it.There attitude was like saying it is legal but we dont like so we will pull you up if you scratch your arse while riding lol

steelhead4
09-03-2011, 16:03
There attitude was like saying it is legal but we dont like so will pull you up if you scratch your arse while riding

Only if that is where you keep your mobile phone :hihi:

HeadingNorth
09-03-2011, 16:09
Yes sorry forgot to point out it was tested with no lights and is restricted to day time useage only.Also was tested with straight through pipes because of its age there is no legal restriction.All this is documented with the MOT doc.

If the absence of baffles means it is breaking noise regulations, they could fine you anyway whether it's road-legal or not.

I don't know if it would be, mind.

vwkittie
09-03-2011, 16:43
As far as I'm aware no baffles isn't the problem but it does have to meet noise regs. Similar to how it's not illegal to de-cat but you have to still meet emissions regs.

I don't see how they could say it broke noise regs without some sort of test :confused:

Ghostrider
09-03-2011, 16:49
So to me because they got it wrong and will not admit to it they dont like it.There attitude was like saying it is legal but we dont like so we will pull you up if you scratch your arse while riding lol

My bold, and thats correct.

As for the exhaust :

The EU (and therefore UK) exhaust noise regulations specify the following limits for motorcycles first used on or after 01/04/91 :

Up to & including 80cc - 77dB
Between 80 & 175cc - 79 dB
Over 175cc - 81 dB

DiDoDoDatDoe
09-03-2011, 17:11

As for the exhaust :

The EU (and therefore UK) exhaust noise regulations specify the following limits for motorcycles first used on or after 01/04/91 :

Over 175cc - 81 dB

So your saying its the testing station who is at fault as they do not have equipment to measure noise levels to conform to EU law ?

It would not be surprising because a lot has come to light of recent on how short we are on keeping up with EU rules and regs here.

Ghostrider
09-03-2011, 17:16
So your saying its the testing station who is at fault as they do not have equipment to measure noise levels to conform to EU law ?

It would not be surprising because a lot has come to light of recent on how short we are on keeping up with EU rules and regs here.

It probably is the MOT station thats at fault - cant remember if any of my bikes have ever been tested on the noise from the exhaust...

RootsBooster
09-03-2011, 17:39
I didn't think noise levels were a part of the MOT test, I may be wrong

sccsux
09-03-2011, 17:44

As for the exhaust :

The EU (and therefore UK) exhaust noise regulations specify the following limits for motorcycles first used on or after 01/04/91

And if the bike is pre 91 the regs are not applicable.

Harleyman
09-03-2011, 17:50

Would you feel hard done by if you were hit by a vehicle at night because the driver didnt see your tail or headlights ?

sccsux
09-03-2011, 17:55
Would you feel hard done by if you were hit by a vehicle at night because the driver didnt see your tail or headlights ?

Do try to read the whole thread, before jumping in:

Harleyman
09-03-2011, 19:18
Do try to read the whole thread, before jumping in:

I missed his second post. Anyway if he thinks he's got a case against the police then take the issue before a judge. Cant get much from the SF other than a few posts of sympathy. I disputed a traffic citation and the judge ruled in my favour

sccsux
09-03-2011, 19:30
I disputed a traffic citation and the judge ruled in my favour

You're in the US though (where justice is a little easier to achieve sometimes).

terminator
09-03-2011, 20:10
You're in the US though (where justice is a little easier to achieve sometimes).I like it :hihi:

terminator
09-03-2011, 20:23

As for the exhaust :

Over 175cc - 81 dB
350 84db upto 500 86db above that is 87db but these are after 1st april 83 all changers after 91 but not much anyway.
I know were your going with this Destroyer you must be on a machine pre 1st april 83 no requirements mines origenaly 1958 no baffles.And can confirm any motorcycle can have all its lights removed and still be road legal but not used at the time street lights are in operation.I would,nt worry about it mate got pulled for same reason no lights and just cut off exhaust no silencer.Told him exactly same thing more or less.