Tennant has changed electricity supplier in rented property

I have a flat that I rented, out and some how the previous tenant has changed the account from British Gas to N Power.

Problem is previous tenant has done a bunk,

I contacted N Power and told them to get there stuff out of my property and give me back my meters.

They will not talk to me as I am not the account holder.

They are hiding behind the data protection act.

I told them that they didn’t hide behind it in the rush to get meter in so don’t hide behind it now.

What to do?

Tell them that they have 7 days to remove it, or you're going to start charging them rent.

Actually, thinking about it, don't bother, just phone British Gas, tell them what's happened and I'm sure they'll be happy to organise it all if you're going back to them as supplier.

you know they dont change the meter when you change company.

Did the tenant have your permission to have the meters changed? I think not? If this is the case I'd get the law involved.

Did the tenant have your permission to have the meters changed? I think not? If this is the case I'd get the law involved.

They dont change the meter. And unless the tennent had bills included I cant see what the issue is.

To the landlord, go on quidco have a look at gas an eleccy and there will be lots of deals usually offering upto £100 cashback to swap.

Unless Npower installed pre-pay meters because of the arrears?

you know they dont change the meter when you change company.

My eyes decieve me then. Before, it a was billed account. Now I have a meter that i have to put a key in.

Edited by adamd

So what exactly is the problem?

I did not ask them to put it in.

Unless Npower installed pre-pay meters because of the arrears?

I was never with N Power so it can't be that.

I am going to.

I have told them that I want my old meter back.

I know it was never mine to start with, but the bit of paint stuck to it was mine and thats what i want back!!

If the tenant is responsible for the gas bills then I believe they are allowed to change gas suppliers.