View Full Version : Tennant has changed electricity supplier in rented property

adamd
05-03-2011, 02:00
I have a flat that I rented, out and some how the previous tenant has changed the account from British Gas to N Power.

Problem is previous tenant has done a bunk,

I contacted N Power and told them to get there stuff out of my property and give me back my meters.

They will not talk to me as I am not the account holder.

They are hiding behind the data protection act.

I told them that they didnít hide behind it in the rush to get meter in so donít hide behind it now.

What to do?

Darth Vader
05-03-2011, 02:07
Tell them that they have 7 days to remove it, or you're going to start charging them rent.

Actually, thinking about it, don't bother, just phone British Gas, tell them what's happened and I'm sure they'll be happy to organise it all if you're going back to them as supplier.

Bonjon
05-03-2011, 08:00
you know they dont change the meter when you change company.

puddinburner
05-03-2011, 08:21
Did the tenant have your permission to have the meters changed? I think not? If this is the case I'd get the law involved.

Bonjon
05-03-2011, 08:34
Did the tenant have your permission to have the meters changed? I think not? If this is the case I'd get the law involved.

They dont change the meter. And unless the tennent had bills included I cant see what the issue is.

To the landlord, go on quidco have a look at gas an eleccy and there will be lots of deals usually offering upto £100 cashback to swap.

Andy
05-03-2011, 09:21
Unless Npower installed pre-pay meters because of the arrears?

neeeeeeeeeek
05-03-2011, 09:34
So what exactly is the problem?

adamd
06-03-2011, 03:53
you know they dont change the meter when you change company.

My eyes decieve me then. Before, it a was billed account. Now I have a meter that i have to put a key in.

adamd
06-03-2011, 03:57
So what exactly is the problem?

I did not ask them to put it in.

adamd
06-03-2011, 03:59
Unless Npower installed pre-pay meters because of the arrears?

I was never with N Power so it can't be that.

adamd
06-03-2011, 04:03

I am going to.

I have told them that I want my old meter back.

I know it was never mine to start with, but the bit of paint stuck to it was mine and thats what i want back!!

evildrneil
06-03-2011, 07:32
If the tenant is responsible for the gas bills then I believe they are allowed to change gas suppliers.

Ms Macbeth
06-03-2011, 07:43
If the tenant is responsible for the gas bills then I believe they are allowed to change gas suppliers.

That's certainly the case in social housing - the person paying the utility bills (tenant) makes the arrangements for gas and electricity supplies. Sometimes a prepayment meter is their only option if they don't have a good credit record.

Unless a landlord is paying the utility bills, why would they limit the tenant's choice of supplier? And surely the tenant's debt remains attached to the tenant, and not the landlord.

Or am I missing something? :confused:

adamd
06-03-2011, 08:15
Or am I missing something?

Yes.

I as the landlord am unable to change the supplier without the account holder present. The account holder is the Tennant that is no longer.

adamd
06-03-2011, 08:17

So why am I "the owner" unable to change it back? Do I have to make myself a tennant?

evildrneil
06-03-2011, 08:40
So why am I "the owner" unable to change it back? Do I have to make myself a tennant?

If you're not named on the electricity bill then I'm not sure that you being the owner of the property is either here nor there. Probably your best bet is to contact the supplier, explain the situation and try and get the account closed. If they won't close it down then contact your local citizens information and ask them what you can do. Unfortunately (for you) one of the rights of the bill payer is to be able to change the gas or electricity supplier if they so desire.

adamd
06-03-2011, 09:22
If you're not named on the electricity bill then I'm not sure that you being the owner of the property is either here nor there. .

But I was. This is my point.

lucario1234
06-03-2011, 09:45
You dont have to have the account froze or do anything realy,except phone British gas(or any supplier you wish) and ask them to start supplying to that address.the new supplier will do all the work.
They may not swap the metres straight away but a pre-pay meter and a standard meter should be on the same tarrif anyway.
if the tennant has done a bunk-sounds like you got away lightly if this is thre only issue.

lucario1234
06-03-2011, 09:49
But I was. This is my point.

Sorry didnt see last post.
If you are the named account holder-you should have been paying the bills,therfore its your responsiblity.
How has the tennant changed suppliers without your permission and details,they must have got your account details from somewhere.
I'd start worrying what other details of yours they have if youv'e been silly enough to leave lying around.

kaymarie
07-03-2011, 18:51
A pre payment meter and a normal tarriff may not be the same, especially if theres a debt. Check the tenancy agreement you have issued to check for the provision on requesting permission to change supplier. Realistically, to change supplier is not a big issue, and at the end of the day if a sitting tenant does this, what are you going to enforce? The issue is if it is a pre payment meter with no credit and i dont think this forum has established that. If it is, the utility company will clear down the meter upon a new tenants request, assuming the tenant pays for all utilities in your agreement. If they send in their tenancy agreement with you ive know this arranged within 24hours. I would recommend you take utility readings without delay as if there is a debt it will be the responsibilty of your (former) tenants. Its not a big issue really. Your new tenant can then change to what ever supplier they want and have the meters removed if they want. hope that helps.

discoshaun
07-03-2011, 19:04
It depends on the contract you had with the Tennant, when i rented a property in brewery wharf, it specifically mentioned in the contract i was not allowed to change any utility providers without permission in writing from the landlord.

Im not saying the tenant was in the right to change this without landlords permission, but if not in tenancy agreement might be hard to enforce.

As mentioned previously i would speak to your chosen provider explain to them and see what they can sort out for you.

nexusdee
07-03-2011, 19:31
Not sure if you have already but I suggest you also take the meter readings & give them to N Power - you don't want to be liable for any money owed to them by your tenant. I would also consider contacting them again & speak to someone else who may know a little bit more. Npower shouldn't need a previous occupiers permission to remove meters etc. I agree with the other posts, just contact your new supplier & they should deal with the hassle for you