Sign in to follow this  

Where do I take lots of 1p's and 2p's to change them into real money?

I have about 20 quid in copper that I want to change into notes - BUT i haven't got any money bags, so I'm guessing I can't take it to the bank. Where can I take them to get them changed? Or alternatively where do I get money bags from? I know weighing machines exist but not sure where!

ASDA on the parkway has a change machine- it charges you 7p out of every pound though :D

Sainsburys on Archer Road has one of those money conversion machines. They take a small cut but is pretty quick and efficient.

The bank.

Though they have to be in bags of £1, and not mixed ie a bag of 1p's and a seperate bag of 2p's. You can get coin bags from any bank, just ask.

The bank shouldn't charge you anything.

ok - i've separated them into envelopes of a £1 per envelope so i figure I can just transfer into money bags - ta for the info!

Check with your bank first though. I know Halifax will only take a set amount and then it has to be paid into an account. Better to check than lug it all to the bank for them to say no.

I think you can take them to pretty much any bank, but as has been said your best bet will be the one you actually bank with because I think they prefer to pay it straight into an account.

I did this a few months back, I didn't have any money bags but had already separated it so it was just a matter of getting some little bags from the teller, transferring them into the bags and then going back to pay it all into my account. And you don't get charged doing it this way. Easy peasy!

It's amazing how much money you can build up in coppers :)

Originally posted by rmc123

The bank.

The bank shouldn't charge you anything.

It has to be a bank where you hold an account, and not a building society ;)

A naughty thought, perhaps, but bus drivers always seem to complain that their passengers, sorry, customers, never have the right money and offer a five pound note for their fare.

How about giving them the right fare in coins?

They will be pleased, I am sure....

Originally posted by Floe

A naughty thought, perhaps, but bus drivers always seem to complain that their passengers, sorry, customers, never have the right money and offer a five pound note for their fare.

How about giving them the right fare in coins?

They will be pleased, I am sure....

Unless they refuse to take it, which they are entitled to do!

You know shops have to pay for change from the bank, so if you are friendly with a local news agent or small store they may be happy to take it off your hands.

Why are they entitiled to refuse "coin of the realm"?

Because they reserve the right to refuse to carry any passanger.

But anyone can refuse coin of the realm if they wish.