View Full Version : Where do I take lots of 1p's and 2p's to change them into real money?

absynthfairy
25-11-2005, 09:13
I have about 20 quid in copper that I want to change into notes - BUT i haven't got any money bags, so I'm guessing I can't take it to the bank. Where can I take them to get them changed? Or alternatively where do I get money bags from? I know weighing machines exist but not sure where!

scottf
25-11-2005, 09:15
ASDA on the parkway has a change machine- it charges you 7p out of every pound though :D

AYBABTU
25-11-2005, 09:18
Sainsburys on Archer Road has one of those money conversion machines. They take a small cut but is pretty quick and efficient.

rmc123
25-11-2005, 09:19
The bank.

Though they have to be in bags of 1, and not mixed ie a bag of 1p's and a seperate bag of 2p's. You can get coin bags from any bank, just ask.

The bank shouldn't charge you anything.

absynthfairy
25-11-2005, 09:28
ok - i've separated them into envelopes of a 1 per envelope so i figure I can just transfer into money bags - ta for the info!

FairyNormal
25-11-2005, 09:36
Check with your bank first though. I know Halifax will only take a set amount and then it has to be paid into an account. Better to check than lug it all to the bank for them to say no.

LisaO
25-11-2005, 09:46
I think you can take them to pretty much any bank, but as has been said your best bet will be the one you actually bank with because I think they prefer to pay it straight into an account.

I did this a few months back, I didn't have any money bags but had already separated it so it was just a matter of getting some little bags from the teller, transferring them into the bags and then going back to pay it all into my account. And you don't get charged doing it this way. Easy peasy!

It's amazing how much money you can build up in coppers :)

Andy
25-11-2005, 09:46
Originally posted by rmc123
The bank.
The bank shouldn't charge you anything.

It has to be a bank where you hold an account, and not a building society ;)

Floe
25-11-2005, 09:49
A naughty thought, perhaps, but bus drivers always seem to complain that their passengers, sorry, customers, never have the right money and offer a five pound note for their fare.
How about giving them the right fare in coins?
They will be pleased, I am sure....

Andy
25-11-2005, 09:51
Originally posted by Floe
A naughty thought, perhaps, but bus drivers always seem to complain that their passengers, sorry, customers, never have the right money and offer a five pound note for their fare.
How about giving them the right fare in coins?
They will be pleased, I am sure....

Unless they refuse to take it, which they are entitled to do!

You know shops have to pay for change from the bank, so if you are friendly with a local news agent or small store they may be happy to take it off your hands.

Floe
25-11-2005, 09:55
Why are they entitiled to refuse "coin of the realm"?

Andy
25-11-2005, 09:58
Because they reserve the right to refuse to carry any passanger.

But anyone can refuse coin of the realm if they wish.

RazorSHarp
25-11-2005, 10:06
Halifax will only take 5 bags at a time, unless it's a kids account then they'll pay in whatever you have, we paid 280 in coppers and silver a coupke of years ago into my sons account, the girl behind the counter was well miffed. I now take my round the local shop, she's always happy for a couple of quid in brown soap.

The post office are usually quite willing if you have an account to pay lots of bags in (provided it's not a pension day!!!)

Cyclone
25-11-2005, 10:19
Originally posted by Floe
Why are they entitiled to refuse "coin of the realm"?

any business is entitled to refuse more than 50p I think in coppers and 1 in silver (or some values around that area).

medusa
25-11-2005, 10:25
Originally posted by Cyclone
any business is entitled to refuse more than 50p I think in coppers and 1 in silver (or some values around that area).

There was a really quite complex discussion recently on the ins and outs of 'legal tender' i.e. what people are legally obliged to take as a form of payment- it's quite an eye opener.

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=62778&highlight=legal+tender

evildrneil
25-11-2005, 10:39
Alternatively you could donate it all to the charity of your choice (I have a 'copper box' that gets filled through the year and tidied out to a charity at the end of the year) the chances are you won't miss the money but it will make a big difference to someone who really needs it :)

matt1889
25-11-2005, 10:40
Originally posted by evildrneil
Alternatively you could donate it all to the charity of your choice (I have a 'copper box' that gets filled through the year and tidied out to a charity at the end of the year) the chances are you won't miss the money but it will make a big difference to someone who really needs it :)

Can't fault it!

Best idea so far without a doubt!

absynthfairy
25-11-2005, 11:10
Well I have 14 quids worth - presently in a pound an envelope... And now feel very confused - I can see my bank being un co-operative. They are about most things! Are the change machines at asda quite straightforward?

Andy
25-11-2005, 11:12
Originally posted by absynthfairy
Well I have 14 quids worth - presently in a pound an envelope... And now feel very confused - I can see my bank being un co-operative. They are about most things! Are the change machines at asda quite straightforward?

They shouldn't be, if you've sorted the coins (not got 1ps and 2ps mixed). Just ask for some coin bags, transfer your coins across and pay them into your account. The bank can weigh the bags so it's no hardship to them.

The coin machine at ASDA is dead easy to use - you just chuck your coins in, press a few buttons and get a voucher out. But it does charge a fee.

:nod:

absynthfairy
25-11-2005, 11:13
Originally posted by evildrneil

Yes, I know - thank you for making me feel very mercenary:thumbsup:

However, tis the end of the month, I find myself a bit skint - and i do a lot of charity work at school, as well as donating a decent sum to cancer research every month.

absynthfairy
25-11-2005, 11:16
Originally posted by Andy

The coin machine at ASDA is dead easy to use - you just chuck your coins in, press a few buttons and get a voucher out. But it does charge a fee.

:nod:

A voucher for asda? ooh that won't pay for my drinks at the theatre tonight....

Andy
25-11-2005, 11:18
Originally posted by absynthfairy
A voucher for asda? ooh that won't pay for my drinks at the theatre tonight....

You can exchange the voucher for cash at the Customer Service Desk if you so desire. Sainsburys have these machines also in some of their stores.

www.coinstar.co.uk is their website.

absynthfairy
25-11-2005, 11:21
Thanks andy - you really are a most helpful individual.