Under 16 pass for bus fares in Sheffield

Right has anyone who got kids that are under 16 and not got a bus pass for them to pay child fare ever get asked " how old is your child".

I got a 10 year old and on the bus this evening and it has happend befor as well, we got asked this question.One bus would not let us on unless we had a pass for her even tho she still had on her primary school uniform on and does not look over 13 never mind 16.We had a few passengers that stuck up for us and tryed to tell the driver she did not look over 16 but it did not work.so say thanks if you was one of them on the 97 bus today.

So i went down to the interchange to get her a pass wile we was in town to ask how we get one,and was told she does not need one till she starts secondary school.When i told them that ive had problem befor all i got was "well to me she does not look the age to pay full fare".I agree with this one but that does not solve my problem of ingnorant bus drivers that think she is over 16. How stupid are they these bus drivers,do they get more wages or something of how many full fares they get in a day/week.All they was botherd about was incase i get charged £35 for haveing a wrong ticket for her :loopy:.

I got asked the same thing by a bus driver a year ago when my daughter was 10 as well, luckily he still let us on the bus but now my daughter is in secondary school she has to have a bus pass.

i have had the same problem.

but they get a bus pass at 11 when they go to secondary school. so he probably thought she was 11 not 16.

11 to 16 they are entitled to a discounted fare or post 16 if they can prove they are in full time education.

however asking how old your child is when you have asked for a kids fare is tant amount to calling you a liar. there are some great drivers but some real jobsworths

This point has been raised before and I hope this will clarify the issue.

The 40p fare pass has nothing to do with First,It is a rule set down by SYPTE as it is one of their concession fares,they have stipulated to first NO PASS FULL FARE same goes for OAPs and Mobility as well as Blind Passes.

Drivers are not being ignorant when asking for the pass,they are simply carrying out the instructions that have been laid down in relation to the passes.

Any child between 11 and 16 MUST have a valid pass to qualify for the reduced fare,if not then the full adult fare must be paid.

The SYPTE will always pass the problem on to First when in fact its not even a First pass and not First Rules.

Originally posted by tango2

This point has been raised before and I hope this will clarify the issue.

The 40p fare pass has nothing to do with First,It is a rule set down by SYPTE as it is one of their concession fares,they have stipulated to first NO PASS FULL FARE same goes for OAPs and Mobility as well as Blind Passes.

Drivers are not being ignorant when asking for the pass,they are simply carrying out the instructions that have been laid down in relation to the passes.

Any child between 11 and 16 MUST have a valid pass to qualify for the reduced fare,if not then the full adult fare must be paid.

The SYPTE will always pass the problem on to First when in fact its not even a First pass and not First Rules.

I do understand this as i too have a disabled pass.But my point was why ask for prof of her age when one she does not look the age.two he wont even let her on even with her primary school uniform with a school bag that both states the school logo and name of the school that we showed the driver. i understand if she did not have a pass and was wearing a secondry school uniform on with the name stated.it just get me mad that i seen much older looking kids with no uniform on and no pass and get on the bus with no problems.

Would it hep if your child carried a passport or other form of ID to prove her age?

Originally posted by Joanna

Would it hep if your child carried a passport or other form of ID to prove her age?

My partner ask me this.But to be honest i wont take any passport out with me just for this and all the time to go out it is to risky,same with birth certificate if she lost it or my self wile out and got picked up anything can happen.I was told if it happend again to pay full fare then prove to transport place with birth details and can have a refund.be ok if they is something eles that they can bring out for kids to prove age insted of waiting till secondry school time.

Originally posted by dieselbabe

I do understand this as i too have a disabled pass.But my point was why ask for prof of her age when one she does not look the age.two he wont even let her on even with her primary school uniform with a school bag that both states the school logo and name of the school that we showed the driver. i understand if she did not have a pass and was wearing a secondry school uniform on with the name stated.it just get me mad that i seen much older looking kids with no uniform on and no pass and get on the bus with no problems.

I see your point,however the way the current system works it fails to allow for driver discression.

I myself am a little too liberal with the driver discression and no doubt one day it will be my downfall.

However I would never refuse a child entry to the bus (tango2 see his bus driving days slipping away before him) the problem with older kids is that it depends on what degree of grief you want as to how you react.

You will find that some routes are worse than others in the way of rule enforcment,the way I see it is,its only a job (P45 in post) and I doi it to the best of my ablity if I think I can help a few people on the way then I will do.

Sadly there are (speaking as a driver) some right knobheads out there.

Also I would be very warey of what the Customer services at the interchange tell you,,these are the same ones that told passengers on the night of the gridlock "it was caused by First having staff problems" needless to say I got the verbals big style.

I can undertsand that; you don't really want to lose a passport - it's a rather difficult situation, I know some bus companies issue their own pases, those who catch 'school' busses as oppose to public transport. I hope you find a solution, maybe ask the school is they can intervene in anyway?

Cannot understand why the SYPTE cannot issue a pass though, it would solve the whole problem.

Originally posted by Andy C

Cannot understand why the SYPTE cannot issue a pass though, it would solve the whole problem.

Exactly,but that would be way too simple.

Originally posted by joffandanmum

however asking how old your child is when you have asked for a kids fare is tant amount to calling you a liar. there are some great drivers but some real jobsworths

Unfortunately, there are people out there who have been known to tell a lie or two n order to get something for nothing or cheaper. And a driver can't tell who's telling the truth and who isn't.