How long are criminal records kept for?

say you were a student in scotland, got drunk and got done for breach of the peace, and got a caution, would it show up here?

say you were a student in scotland, got drunk and got done for breach of the peace, and got a caution, would it show up here?

Yes, it would show up (a caution stays with you for life, I believe).

Some criminal records are kept for 10 years I heard. Adomonishments and minor offences I think. Any know for sure?

Some criminal records are kept for 10 years I heard.

What you've actually heard, is that a conviction is classed as "spent" after a certain time (which simply means that you don't have to declare them on any official forms). The record is still maintained and a caution is never expunged (which is why you should not accept a caution).

All criminal records are kept for life they maybe spent but they are still on record,this is why when a nasty case comes up,paedophilia/child murder etc they are able to publish the persons entire life history.

As already said, all criminal records are on file for life and will always show up in a situation where an enhanced CRB check is asked for.

If any sort of official form asks if you have a criminal record, unless the issuer of the form stipulates that they are exempt from the provisions of the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act, then your conviction does not have to be disclosed after 5 years.

then your conviction does not have to be disclosed after 5 years.

Some crimes have a longer period before they are classed as spent (IIRC drunk driving is ten years).

Edited by sccsux

I think some are deleted after 10 years, sure I heard this.

Some crime have a longer period before they are classed as spent (IIRC drunk driving is ten years).

sorry I was trying to keep it concise :)

A caution isn't a criminal conviction.

They still show up on a CRB check though. But yes, if a form simply asked "do you have a criminal conviction", you could quite truthfully say no. However a lot of forms do ask "do you have any criminal convictions, cautions, warnings or reprimands".

I mean actual convictions deleted from police files. Think a solictor told me this. Most are not though.