View Full Version : Sphynx cat wanted

ferret face
18-02-2011, 19:48
How much would a spynx cat or kitten cost me?

staffsNlaffs
18-02-2011, 20:03
[QUOTE=ferret face;7302140]How much would a spynx cat or kitten cost me?[/QUOT

arm and a leg and there's a waiting list why do you want one?

gina2007
18-02-2011, 20:56

Because they do? :confused:

@ OP; you'd be looking at 350-500 I *think* from a half decent breeder.

staffsNlaffs
18-02-2011, 21:21
Because they do? :confused:

@ OP; you'd be looking at 350-500 I *think* from a half decent breeder.

It's an innocent question Gina2007 but you're obviously under the impression it contains some malice :|
It's not the best looking cat, call it intrigue

gina2007
18-02-2011, 21:24
It's an innocent question Gina2007 but you're obviously under the impression it contains some malice :|
It's not the best looking cat, call it intrigue

Not at all hence the confused smilie..

staffsNlaffs
18-02-2011, 21:27
Not at all hence the confused smilie..

so have i eased your confusion:)

gina2007
18-02-2011, 21:33
Not really as im half asleep and have read this about 5 times for half of it to sink in :hihi:

SpeedDemon
18-02-2011, 21:36
Have a look on something like pets4homes for a guide price but u can expect to pay anything up to a grand, plus some. If u only want 1 as a pet rather than to show or breed from, obviously they'll be cheaper. Good luck n don't forget to post pics if u get 1. I love sphinx, so totally opposite to my hairballs :)

staffsNlaffs
18-02-2011, 21:37
Pull the plug girl............;)

SpeedDemon
18-02-2011, 21:51
??? What do u mean? It seems I'm out of touch with prices these days, they're priced between 800 n 2,200

AJ sheffield
18-02-2011, 22:05
My mate paid 1300 for his kitten and it is absolutely stunning.

katkin
19-02-2011, 08:48
Other halfs bother just got one before Christmas he cost 600. Came from a recognised breeder, he went to the TICA 2 day cat show at elesecar heritage centre and there were several there so was able to talk to breedere, get an idea about cost and care and find a breeder with kittens pet quality sphynx typically 600-1000

We went last time and saw our first Toyger cute thing, goreous coat again, pet quality around 600 but show cats expect to pay a whole lot more for e. The show is back on this weekend but might be awkward getting there in this weather

fabcakes
19-02-2011, 09:03
i should imagine they are great for people
who are allergic to cats with them having no hair :)

staffsNlaffs
19-02-2011, 12:01

they have hair but its very fine and soft to touch, like suede they say :)

katkin
19-02-2011, 12:40

It's normally pet dander that people are allergic to, that's the dead skin flakes and scurf not the fur, so all this rot about labradoodles, poodles, sphynxes and similar hairless or close haired pets is just that, rot. Sphynx cats have a fine suede like fur was

The breed was created as a result of a Rex litter being born with this strange suede coat instead of the usual kinked coat. I seem to think the litter died but then another fluke was discovered and the breed developed from there

They might not shed as much of the stuff because of the lack of hair. They are a bit too alien looking for me, prefer my cats to look like cats and have a visible coat You've also got to watch sphynx cats for skin problems and they can whiff a bit too (the one C's brother has stinks like sweaty feet).

staffsNlaffs
19-02-2011, 12:48
It's normally pet dander that people are allergic to, that's the dead skin flakes and scurf not the fur, so all this rot about labradoodles, poodles, sphynxes and similar hairless or close haired pets is just that, rot. They might not shed as much of the stuff because of the lack of hair. You've also got to watch sphynx cats for skin problems and they can whiff a bit too (the one C's brother has stinks like sweaty feet).

Does it bring out the allergy in people purely because the hair isn't a barrier for the dander? I only ask as it's common for terrier type dogs to be returned because a child has had an allergic reaction

katkin
19-02-2011, 12:59
I think (but I may be wrong) that hairless/close haired animals shed less of the dander because it doesn't have fur attached to it but they still shed and tend to have skin issues because they don't possess that barrier of protective fur. My Doberman has very short fur but she sheds more than you would think, like dalmations and most short haired terrier breeds I've been in contact with have had that similar close, spiky fur.

Other half is asthmatic and I am allergic to all sorts including pet fur, makes my skin crawl, my throat burn, eyes itch and water and my nose run. To keep it manageable we've got wooden floors and rugs wr can steam clean, leather furniture not fabric and an air puifier on 24/7 in the bedroom. Ionizers also make a big difference as does regular hoovering with a Dyson, Miele or SEBO vac

staffsNlaffs
19-02-2011, 13:11
Other half is asthmatic and I am allergic to all sorts including pet fur, makes my skin crawl, my throat burn, eyes itch and water and my nose run. To keep it manageable we've got wooden floors and rugs wr can steam clean, leather furniture not fabric and an air puifier on 24/7 in the bedroom. Ionizers also make a big difference as does regular hoovering with a Dyson, Miele or SEBO vac

katkin, you have my respect as an animal lover :hihi:

fabcakes
20-02-2011, 01:19
It's normally pet dander that people are allergic to, that's the dead skin flakes and scurf not the fur, so all this rot about labradoodles, poodles, sphynxes and similar hairless or close haired pets is just that, rot. Sphynx cats have a fine suede like fur was

The breed was created as a result of a Rex litter being born with this strange suede coat instead of the usual kinked coat. I seem to think the litter died but then another fluke was discovered and the breed developed from there

They might not shed as much of the stuff because of the lack of hair. They are a bit too alien looking for me, prefer my cats to look like cats and have a visible coat You've also got to watch sphynx cats for skin problems and they can whiff a bit too (the one C's brother has stinks like sweaty feet).

yes i will tend to agree with you there i prefer a cat with hair
i just dont think its normal for them to not have hair :huh: espashiley
when you have a cat with long hair :hihi::hihi:

ferret face
20-02-2011, 18:47
Have a look on something like pets4homes for a guide price but u can expect to pay anything up to a grand, plus some. If u only want 1 as a pet rather than to show or breed from, obviously they'll be cheaper. Good luck n don't forget to post pics if u get 1. I love sphinx, so totally opposite to my hairballs :)

Thanks for the advise

ferret face
20-02-2011, 18:59
[QUOTE=ferret face;7302140]How much would a spynx cat or kitten cost me?[/QUOT

not a very good answer to my question :huh:

staffsNlaffs
20-02-2011, 19:23
[QUOTE=staffsNlaffs;7302194]

not a very good answer to my question :huh:

I grant you its not as indepth or insightful as some of the others but it shares many similarities in as much as it relays that the cat is pricey :)

staffsNlaffs
20-02-2011, 19:26
....and considering how much the price varies it's not an easy one to answer with any authority. Had i quoted you a more definite amount i would have been wrong because of the vast difference between lowest and the seemingly indefinite highest price...:D

ami_j
20-02-2011, 19:38
pmed you with the details of someone i know who is very knowledgeable about them , and will know a breeder or three :)

foxyflugel
22-02-2011, 01:13
There are 2 advertised on www.pets4homes.co.uk both 5 month old unspeyed females 1200 for both - in Doncaster area. :)

ferret face
22-02-2011, 17:17
There are 2 advertised on www.pets4homes.co.uk both 5 month old unspeyed females 1200 for both - in Doncaster area. :)

thanks a lot,,,now sorted!!