Skateboarders. Good or Evil?

As skateboarding becomes an ever increasingly popular past-time, Sheffield appears to be split over the intentions of those who choose it as a Hobby. The skateboarders themselves claim it not to be just a hobby, but more of a lifestyle, and that they are nothing more than just groups of friends with a common interest, hanging out and doing no harm. However, certain sections of the community claim that they are a menace to society. Nothing more than trouble causers who take drugs, graffiti on public property and are a general nuisance.

What's your view?

There is most definately a skateboard community growing in Hillsborough - it may be larger than it appears but I have only noticed a few.

I don't get the impression they are trouble causers. Just seems like people are looking for a scapegoat 'cos most would think the skaters look scruffy.

My personal opinion is the masses look in the wrong direction. Ever seen a scruffy gangster? Me thinks not.

Moon Maiden

So long as skateboarders don't physically get in my way I have nothing against them - it's just a sport / pastime and I've nothing against people enjoying themselves. I think the link between skateboarders and drugs / graffiti etc. is largely coincidental - it's a link that's commonly perceived, though, because the public 'image' of the sport is very urban. I do mind skateboarders damaging public property, though that's no different to me minding football hooligans damaging public property and the link between their actions and football is just coincidental. Likewise, I'd be just as concerned at skateboarders taking drugs as I would be at anyone taking drugs.

nb., if by graffiti you mean the graffiti adorning skateboarding parks / ramps (dunno the correct name for these), I don't have a problem with this, though there should be care taken to make sure these places aren't mixed up with places for young kids - it doesn't send out clear messages about when it's acceptable to 'customise' property and when that customisation becomes vandalism.

annoying near the city hall, but if they want to skate in skate parks i dont mind :wink:

I don't like to see it on the streets. Providing they go to a proper place then I don't have a problem with it.

I love watching skaters and have a lot of respect for what they can do - it's one of the hardest "sports" out there to become any good at, and lots of really nasty injuries can happen.

Accusations of drug use/graffit/etc are no different than accusations levelled at any gatherings of young people who some will always see as a threat or as an easy scapegoat.

I used to be a Sk8terBoi in th 70's, first it was a Beano annual on an old roller skate, then the plastic boards and then a cool skateboard shop opened on Chesterfield Rd, they were selling all the gear from America (kryptonics wheels, and tracker trucks etc)

At first there was no where to go, we used to go to all the usual places parks town etc

Well then the owners of the shop, branched out and took over the Old Heeley Picture Palace (an old cinema on Chesterfield Rd, where the new Ponsford's building is now) They built this huge skate park inside the old cinema. There was a huge bowl with half pipes, smaller bowls and a flat area for tricks all made out of wood. This was some place and it was packed to the rafters, it was officially opened by Tony Alva (I think that was his name), he gave a demo and I have never seen anybody get so high on those ramps.

Well the place stayed open for a while, visitor numbers dropped and guess what, one night it burnt to the ground. Never did get to the bottom of what happened some say it was an insurance job. But it was a sad day for Sheffield Skaters. By this time the craze was dying out and the rest is history. Still had my board up until recently, but like an idiot I chucked it out!!.

I agree with the general feeling that Skateboarders are just as likely as anyone else to take drugs. I think that it is due to a lack of proper facilities that they have found themselves using public places to skateboard. It is annoying that they skate around these public places, seemingly without a care for others, but I feel that if more skate parks were open, then we would see less skaters on the streets.

If they're crashing into people, etc then that's bad, but I don't care if they're out there grinding a bench or two - doesn't hurt anyone, does it?

I did a bit of skating when I started snowboarding but soon realised how hard it was and that I was too old and creaky to take the falls....then someone robbed my board - ah well.

There was also a really good indoor place ("The House" I think) down near the bottom of the ski slopes with loads of ramps, etc - was nice and only £1 entry fee.

The House is still there, no where near as good as the old one at Heeley

i see skateboarding as both a subculture and a mode of transport. i have a lot of time for skateboarders and i wish i had the patience to learn myself.

as for assigning certain areas to skateboarding and banning from others, would bmx'ers get the same treatment? or rollerbladers? in some cases yes but i think there's a huge bias against skateboarders.

Originally posted by "Mike"

...if they're out there grinding a bench or two - doesn't hurt anyone, does it?

Makes a right mess of the bench after a while, though :wink: