View Full Version : Pikelet; Is this word still used in Sheffield?

goldenfleece
14-11-2005, 12:04
PIKLET..A Sheffield area word for something like a 'crumpet' or muffin I think.....is this term still in common use as heard it mentioned today by some old lady on the bus and not heard this term ofr many many ears......

Classic Rock
14-11-2005, 12:16
Isn't it a 'pikelet'? With an 'e' in the middle.

JonnH
14-11-2005, 12:20
Yes, it is pikelet
Pikelet also means silly person too

Lea1979
14-11-2005, 12:21
I'd never heard of these till I moved to Sheffield.

Marks and Spencers sell them ! yum-yum! :D

pedro1
14-11-2005, 12:23
This word is still used in sheffield. I don`t think it`s only certain areas that use it. I think it`s just how you`ve been brought up. It`s either a pikelet or a crumpet. Either way they`re lovely toasted with lashings of butter and jam on them, so much in fact that if you`re not careful it runs down your chin mmmmm
:)

goldenfleece
14-11-2005, 12:40
Originally posted by Classic Rock

I think it can be spelt both ways....

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread/t-35999.html

Maddy
14-11-2005, 12:48
Originally posted by pedro1
This word is still used in sheffield. I don`t think it`s only certain areas that use it. I think it`s just how you`ve been brought up. It`s either a pikelet or a crumpet. Either way they`re lovely toasted with lashings of butter and jam on them, so much in fact that if you`re not careful it runs down your chin mmmmm

For gods sake - think before you post!
Heavily pregnant woman here who was just over come by a supernatuarally strong urge for pikeletss, butter and jam I nearly killed myself in my haste to get to the kitchen!
yummmmmmmmmmmm :D

sunshineyday
14-11-2005, 12:50
mmmmmmmm pikelets - yes the word is definately still used and sales have now gone up thanks for reminding me

smile

SKEGGY
14-11-2005, 13:03
Yep there still around TESCO`s sell them

burnttoast
14-11-2005, 13:36
Luverly with cheese on, slice of tomato, Mini pizza:clap: Think i'll have half a dozen for tea:banana:

FairyNormal
14-11-2005, 13:47
we always call them pikelets. Totally yummy smothered in cheese and dripping in real butter.

Droools :wow:

goldenfleece
14-11-2005, 15:06
Is this just a SHEFFIELD word then or more general Yorkshire/Derbyshire?

Evei
14-11-2005, 15:31

I always thought that a pikelet was different from a crumpet, Pikelets look like flat crumpets.........I prefer oat cakes but you don't seem to get them in sheffield that much.

playman
14-11-2005, 15:57
just had some ta.

Grandad.Malky
14-11-2005, 16:29
On a similar subject when I asked for a toasted teacake in a cafe at Barnsley the reply came “with currents or without”

deecee
14-11-2005, 17:00

Pikelets and crumpets are two totally different things. A pikelet is flat and about six inch round and a crumpet is about three inch round. Quite similar in taste.
Oatcakes are nicer and about the same size of a pikelet

deecee

BoroughGal
15-11-2005, 16:09
Originally posted by Classic Rock

Title changed :)

pete_fcs
15-11-2005, 18:21
when i was likkle i was called peter pikelet by my mummy....

:D

*Twinkle*
15-11-2005, 18:23
Yeah... I have Pikelets when I go to Mummys hehe

pete_fcs
15-11-2005, 21:06
wow!

i'm sandwiched between caprice and boroughgal!

:) :hihi:

deecee
15-11-2005, 22:46
Originally posted by pete_fcs
wow!

so you're going to get some crumpet tonight ..... or are you going to feel a right pikelet :D

deecee

*Twinkle*
15-11-2005, 22:47
Originally posted by pete_fcs
wow!

You lucky, lucky fella ;)

melthebell
15-11-2005, 22:54
i still call em pikelets...even up here :)
same as breadcake (god im such a rebel)

timo
16-11-2005, 00:03
As a Sheffield ex-pat exiled in Lancashire, I noticed Pikelets in the Southport branch of Tesco recently. They were round but very thin, as opposed to Crumpets which were smaller and thicker. Thinking back to Sheffield days, we called the smaller, thicker ones 'Pikelets'. Come to think of it, we also called the larger, thinner ones ' Pikelets' too. We really lived on the cliff edge of life in those days.

Tim42
16-11-2005, 08:59
Pikekelet. Sounds like pigglet. No. Think ill stick with the crumpet. Yes. after work I will actively go & seek out some crumpet.

desy
16-11-2005, 17:55
Crumpet is just a southern nancy boys word for pikelet. Same as thry got Fishcakes wrong for those frozen rissoles

Brucie
16-11-2005, 18:28
Originally posted by Lea1979
I'd never heard of these till I moved to Sheffield.

Marks and Spencers sell them ! yum-yum! :D

Try Warburtons even yummier!

melthebell
16-11-2005, 21:04
a workmate leaves on friday to start work in the local warburtons factory :P

Gerry
16-11-2005, 22:08
Thankfully, they are available at the supermarket in Pittsburgh.

Cliffhanger
17-11-2005, 12:23
Still Pikelets as far as I'm concerned (much to wife's amusment). Got 'em in our ASDA, disguised as Crumpets. but they're not foolin' me!:hihi: It's reet parky down here, so I'll be stockin' up later:wink:

coddy
17-11-2005, 12:54
They'll always be pikelets to me no matter how big, fat or thin they are.

Lostrider
18-11-2005, 22:14
Try this
Toast a Sheffield Pikelet (Crumpet).
Spread with real butter
Coat with best strawberry jam
Top off with a blob of Ice Cream. (Molinaries if possible) not that crap they sell in supermarkets.

Thats my favourite way of eating one or three.

Cliffhanger
18-11-2005, 22:29
Can't beat filling the holes with butter and lashings of Hendo's mmmm .... mmmmm!

Lostrider
18-11-2005, 23:25
Originally posted by Cliffhanger
Can't beat filling the holes with butter and lashings of Hendo's mmmm .... mmmmm!

I think I'm going to be sick :gag:

pedro1
20-11-2005, 13:59
Originally posted by Cliffhanger
Hendersons on pikelets/ crumpets? Not heard that before IMO hendersons is for meat and potato pie only

Lostrider
20-11-2005, 15:31
Hendersons on pikelets/ crumpets? Not heard that before IMO hendersons is for meat and potato pie only

Nice sprinkled on your bag of crisps though.

Gerry
20-11-2005, 17:49
Try 'em with butter and Marmite. Delicious.

simonj
20-11-2005, 23:12
As a kid I was introduced to pikelets by my parents. I remember my dad (God bless him) toasting them over the coal fire in the front room on Saturday nights, just before Doctor Who started! Oh, what childhood memories :)

sauerkraut
22-11-2005, 07:58
Some of us poor individuals have to make their own.

Stir a sachet of easyblend yeast & 1 tsp salt into 12oz flour. Add 3/4 pint warm water and beat until smooth. Cover & leave in a warm place for 30 min. Mix in 1/4 tsp bicarb of soda blended into 2 tbsp cold water. Fold in a whisked egg white.
Lightly grease a heavy-based pan & heat until a drop of batter sizzles immediately on contact. Drop tablespoonfuls of batter into the pan & cook until the top is dry. Turn & cook the underside until lightly brown.
Serve warm with loads of butter. Yum.

daewoo
22-11-2005, 21:28
you can get oatcackes from biltons on hillsbrough.

dynamicdebz
22-11-2005, 22:28
I have pikelets regularly but i always thought pikelets was the proper name & crumpets was a slang term.
Especially when people say "i'm having a bit of crumpet".
But what amazes me is you can only get a "butty" in sheffield, ask anywhere esle & they've no idea what you're talking about.

derfice
22-11-2005, 22:59
well i still call them pikelets here in the south of spain, but my welsh missus reckons they are crumpets. she won't believe me when i tell her that crumpets are what we used to chase at the locarno on thursday nights !

pete_fcs
23-11-2005, 22:23
Originally posted by melthebell
a workmate leaves on friday to start work in the local warburtons factory :P

can he get me a jobload of warbourton's seeded batch at a discount?!

:thumbsup:

burny
05-12-2005, 21:49
Yeah I still use it!!! wonderful !

rincewind
08-12-2005, 14:13
Originally posted by Evei
I always thought that a pikelet was different from a crumpet, Pikelets look like flat crumpets.........I prefer oat cakes but you don't seem to get them in sheffield that much.

Try making your own oatcakes, dead easy, but a little time consuming.

Eat them toasted with melted cheese and bacon, the Staffordshire way.

kev21662
01-01-2006, 20:32
My Mother is originally from Harrogate and we used to have them for tea when we lived in Doncaster, before moving to Sheffield. So I image they are a little more widespread?

Snotty
05-01-2006, 17:44
Back in the late 70's when i was a kid, There used to be an old fella who used to sell Pikelets and scones from the basket on the front of his bicycle.

I lived at Foxhill at the time and he was known localy as "The Pikelet Man"

If you're from the foxhill, Grenoside area, Do you remember Him?

flyer
10-01-2006, 14:52
I'm pretty sure crumpet is U.S word .In Canada we have English-crumpet,holy & yummy English muffing as per Mc dee Egg mac-muffin type.I get told off daily for useing all the wrong words(I now do on purpose).English depends on where one is standing in the world at that moment.

rbbt
12-01-2006, 20:30
In the 60's a bloke on a bike with a large wicker basket on the front used to come round the Wybourn Estate.

He'd come on Sunday afternoon about 3pm shouting "Oatcakes and Pikelets".

buck
12-01-2006, 20:55
My great grandmother made and sold pikelets and oatcakes around Attercliffe at the turn of the 20th century.
Pikelets are very much like crumpets, but oatcakes are flatter about 6 inches in diameter. We used to love oatcakes fried in bacon fat and dipped into fried egg.
I can occasionally buy crumpets over here, and fry them just like my ancestors did with oatcakes. When I left Sheffield in 1968 oatcakes were becoming hard to find.

wendy savage
05-08-2009, 14:47
thats how i spelt in my forum question but was ,informed otherwise ... well who cares how we spell from sheffield we all understand each other .. we are unique...lol

Hetty
05-08-2009, 15:44
...............am I imagining things, or do I remember a shop somewhere at the bottom of the Moor that made them as you waited? That has got to be 50 odd years ago. I always feel crumpets are tasteless.....unless you have half a pound of Lurpak on them, then heaven!!!!

donnygirl
05-08-2009, 18:28
Try making your own oatcakes, dead easy, but a little time consuming.

Eat them toasted with melted cheese and bacon, the Staffordshire way.

How do you make oatckaes? I only know the Scottish oakcakes which are more like crackers. I'd like to bake 'Sheffield' oatcakes.

chimay
05-08-2009, 19:31

We always called a crumpet a pikelet. I'd never heard the word crumpet (except as in a bit of rumpty pumpty) and I'd never seen a thin pikelet. Now dahn south they have (thick) crumpets (the edible type) and the new Asda also sell the thin pikelet. But I still think of pikelets as the thick variety which I love toasted with melted cheese on. Also in Sainsbury dahn 'ere they know what a bacon butty is but 'breadcakes' is a no no. Even my kids think I'm bats when I say breadcake instead of breadroll or breadbap. The new Asda dahn 'ere has brought a few northern delicacies in the bread line but still no Henderson's Relish.

Well I think this ramblin' covers several gastronmic posts so I'll look for something else to remind me of home.

kittyperkitt
06-10-2009, 16:06
Pikelet
You either toast them with best butter smothered all over.Or use the name endearingly for someone who is thick....!!!!!!!:hihi

Vague_Boy
06-10-2009, 23:46
PIKLET..A Sheffield area word for something like a 'crumpet' or muffin I think.....is this term still in common use as heard it mentioned today by some old lady on the bus and not heard this term for many many ears......

My dad used to use this term, I don't think I've heard it used by anyone younger than about 60.

kittyperkitt
07-10-2009, 10:18
My dad used to use this term, I don't think I've heard it used by anyone younger than about 60.

I'm 62 so i can confirm what you are saying

Rah Rah Rah
07-10-2009, 10:20
Ooooo, Pikelets are reight nice:love:

gladys clark
07-10-2009, 13:15
Moule at hillsborough in the 60's for oatcakes pikelets and milkcakes they made them as you waited ---mind blowing

Powerage
08-10-2009, 12:47

I am mid 40's and I still use it much to my southern oh's dispair:hihi:

Every time I say it he goes what are you on about they are crumpets.

But what does he know he hasn't a clue what breadcakes are either!

hillsbro
08-10-2009, 15:13
Moule at hillsborough in the 60's for oatcakes pikelets and milkcakes they made them as you waited ---mind blowing

Yes indeed, old John Moule would pour dollops of creamy mixture on to a hotplate, strategically placed in the shop window for maximum publicity, while Gertrude served the customers. The shop closed in 1966 when John Moule died; Gertrude lived to the grand old age of 102 and died in 1986.

Lostrider
10-10-2009, 14:23
If anyone wants a change from the rubbery things that are sold in most supermarkets. Try the ones from Aldi, the ones mad in Cumbria, Pikelets like they used to be in the olden days. They are called Lakeland Bake, although they call them Crumpets!!!

choogling
10-10-2009, 14:30
Is a pikelet i young pikie?

wwcrazy
10-10-2009, 15:26
We had pikelets today:) Yes it does say crumpet on the pack bah!

lennonman
11-10-2009, 14:42
hi Chimay i had to laugh at your post i am also a Sheffielder living in the deep south and my partner looked at me gone out when i referred to crumpets as pikelets the other day! What's a pikelet she exclaimed??? There is no such thing as a crumpet, they may call it that on the packet but it is always a pikelet to me! love em with lashings of butter or melted cheese with a bit of HP or Hendersons drizzled on...and you are right, you cant get Hendersons down here, have to stock up in Sheffield when im there...and you are right, they dont have breadcakes down here and you have to ask for a chip roll instead of a butty in the 'chip oyl'...we will have to get them civilized down here won't we my friend!!