Is it worth investing in an exercise bike ?

I am trying to loose a stone and get a little bit fitter

cant do the gym thing, dont like walking in the freezing cold weather :roll:

wondered if an exercise bike would be any good.............sounds ideal just doing it in the living room watching the telly :D

but just how good are they............do they tone just the legs or other bits too :confused:

any advise appreciated..........:)

Don't bother, it will become a clothes horse within a few days. :hihi:

Depends how motivated you are to use it/lose weight.

A few of my friends have one and the novelty soon wore off and they just turned into glorified clothes hangers shoved in the corner in their bedroom.

I used to have one and used it regularly for years. It finally gave up the ghost and I've got a cross trainer now. Bought the cross trainer off my friend who had had it in her garage for yonks without using it.

Maybe think about getting a cheap/free 2nd hand bike and seeing how it goes.

If you do stick with it, will be good cardio exercise and tone your legs/bum.

Agreed. The amount you see lobbed in garages and dykes is amazing.

Make sure you get a comfortable one if your thinking of doin long stints any yes they r ok

It depends.

My wife bought an exercise bike. It cost her a lot of money. It looks good. It didn't work (for her.)

It sat in the basement for weeks. Did nothing.

I don't know why. - It was indeed a very good bike and it was well recommended.

I tried it. It makes all the right noises, I'm rather fitter than I was before she bought it and it works for me.

I can't understand why it doesn't work for her.

I think she's forgotten where it lives ... could that have something to do with it?

Don't bother, it will become a clothes horse within a few days. :hihi:

Spot on. Go running.

The roads are clogged with people sitting in cars, queueing to use exercise bikes in gyms.

Get a real bike Shaznay, cyclists can eat what they like, do ten miles a day and you'll have the fitness levels of someone ten years younger.

Unless you're ten.

The roads are clogged with people sitting in cars, queueing to use exercise bikes in gyms.

Get a real bike Shaznay, cyclists can eat what they like, do ten miles a day and you'll have the fitness levels of someone ten years younger.

Unless you're ten.

Cyclists can wee fire, they can project their thoughts on to lesser animals, they can leap several times their own height when startled & live until at least 253!

"Cars! Roads! Queues! Cyclists are the next Jesus! Cars! Roads! Queues! Cyclists are the next Jesus! Cars! Roads! Queues! Cyclists are the next Jesus! Cars! Roads! Queues! Cyclists are the next Jesus! Cars! Roads! Queues! Cyclists are the next Jesus!" Snooooooore.

Totally agree with what everyone else has said. We had one and it did just end up with clothes hanging on it lol. Best to get out in the fresh air, either running or cycling. Before I had my gym membership I'd get up at dawn and go running, it's an amazing feeling to watch the sun come up all by yourself while running in the park.

thats what I thought ...........clothes horse, thanks for your comments

I think I will have a think about it now

and what other options to try thx

A dissenting opinion?

My exercise bike (I 'borrowed' it from my wife) is really useful. It's not a lot of fun, but if I need to do some exercise and I can't go and do the things I want to do (and at this time of the year that often happens) it does the trick. In Spring, Summer and Autumn it gathers dust. - But in Winter, it beats the crap out of doing nothing.

I'd far rather spend my time in the hills - but at this time of the year, that's not a good idea.