Trying to get fitter, needs some pointers tho!

Well as I'm sure a lot of you are doing, part of my new years resolution is to get fitter. I am overweight but i am more focused on toning up than being a size 8. i am a size 14 -16 and when im a 14 i am generally happy with myself, i'm tall so can carry it okay-ish!

anyway, ive been doing the Jillian Michael's 30 day shred for a whole 3 days now, though my body feels like its been exercising non stop and my muscles belong to a 100 year old woman! So, i'm trying to be more active. I've also cut out sweets and watching what i eat. A typical day includes banana and apple in the morning, lunch of diet sandwich and snack a jacks and a smoothie, and a relatively normal dinner such as a curry or veg pizza and salad.

I am doing the dvd as soon as i get home and then eating straight after.

Should i alter the timing of eating after exercising? is what i'm eating okay, can you think of healthy and easy meals???

I'm not after a mega quick fix, just want to feel better!

Hiya!

All the best with the new year's resolution - sounds like you are working hard. I'm not in any place to answer your questions, but I'll just say what helped me out when I've lost weight in the past and changed to a healthier lifestyle. I always have a good breakfast to keep me going for the day (especially if I'm doing exercise), so tend to go for oats and fruit - really keep me full for long. I also came to a stall a few years ago and decided to cut out the 'diet' meal options and low-fat snacks (I went through snack a jack and low fat yoghurt stages!). I found it made a huge difference as I went more natural, for example making my own sandwiches means I know exactly what's gone in it and can add more grated carrot etc than I'd get in a shop bought sandwich. I also love fish (esp salmon) as a great 'normal dinner' which is really good for me!

As I said, this is just what's worked for me, so sorry if it's not useful, but I feel much more healthy for it and lost a few stone a few years ago and have kept it off.

All the best!

Fairly boring but just eating sensibly without being obsessed and moving more will do the trick and be something that is sustainable.

Try thinking about what you are putting into your body rather than concentrating on what to leave out - ie think about what the food you are eating is doing for you and eating to be healthy rather than to be 'thin'.

Make sure you at least get an hours walk in over the day and you should start to feel the benefit and then ease yourself into something a bit more active as you go :)

All of the above answers are sound advice, I would like to add the importance of increasing your exercise as well as eating well - aim to exercise between 3-5 times a week for a minimum of 30 mins. Start gradually and build up to this. Start by walking and perhaps trying DVDs at home .....or socially you could try exercise classes or swimming.

The best advice I can give on eating well is to watch portion sizes, fill up on foods that will keep you feeling full for longer, drink plenty of water and do not deny yourself totally of treats! Perhaps think about 5 small meals a day rather than just 3. Its advisable to eat 1-2hrs before exercise and then have a small snack i.e a banana, slice toast after.

Best of luck - keep up the good work.

What really helped me was writing down everything I ate. I didn't even realize how much junk I was putting in me until I saw it Blue on Cream. Find a sport you love doing, whether it be cycling, swimming or running. From there you can slowly improve your eating habits and physical capacity. That's all I really have to add to what the other already said. Oh and don't eat carbohydrates past 8 PM

Well as I'm sure a lot of you are doing, part of my new years resolution is to get fitter. I am overweight but i am more focused on toning up than being a size 8. i am a size 14 -16 and when im a 14 i am generally happy with myself, i'm tall so can carry it okay-ish!

anyway, ive been doing the Jillian Michael's 30 day shred for a whole 3 days now, though my body feels like its been exercising non stop and my muscles belong to a 100 year old woman! So, i'm trying to be more active. I've also cut out sweets and watching what i eat. A typical day includes banana and apple in the morning, lunch of diet sandwich and snack a jacks and a smoothie, and a relatively normal dinner such as a curry or veg pizza and salad.

I am doing the dvd as soon as i get home and then eating straight after.

Should i alter the timing of eating after exercising? is what i'm eating okay, can you think of healthy and easy meals???

I'm not after a mega quick fix, just want to feel better!

If you want fast results, click on the link below. One hour of your time each week and you will shape up - no need for changes to your eating habits, just eat sensibly and in moderation

i love the 30 day shred!

have done 19 days so far, first 3 days i wanted to slap jillian, was doing the john wayne walk and getting in and out of chairs was interesting, lol

that stopped around day 4 thou you can still feel it during exercises, im still on level one thou because im a wuss, im told as you advance to each level it aches again for a couple of days

i love the 30 day shred!

have done 19 days so far, first 3 days i wanted to slap jillian, was doing the john wayne walk and getting in and out of chairs was interesting, lol

that stopped around day 4 thou you can still feel it during exercises, im still on level one thou because im a wuss, im told as you advance to each level it aches again for a couple of days

Are you not doing a proper cool down after the workout as a way of dealing with the soreness?

yes i am doing a proper cooldown, the soreness was the first 3 days and it was the next morning it started

i knows alot of folks who have been doing the 30 day shred, theyve all had the same thing

thanks for all the answers guys, very positive and constructive!

have to admit since writing this i have had a chippy dinner last nightm, but am not denying myself treats as that will just send me back to binging.

sumayyah, glad its not just me that aches from it! do you do it every day, and has your body changed??

yes i do it every day weather i want to or not, so far im down 7 inches overall from the boob, waist, hips area

hey is 300g of protien bad if I am only 170lbs?