View Full Version : Condensation in my car

charliewagg
02-01-2011, 17:05
can anyone tell me why my vaux astra car windows keep getting condensation inside.its starting to get very annoying now.even when i put heater on they steam up.i swear am going to put windows through.have been told u can buy crystals that take out the moisture in the car.

AKITA
02-01-2011, 17:18
Ha ha, your not the only one. I have the same problem.

RootsBooster
02-01-2011, 17:20
Possibly got a leaking heater matrix? or water ingress through the roof aerial?

bezzydan
02-01-2011, 17:20
It could be that something has been spilled in the car. To get rid of the excess moisture, first you need to find, clean and dry any spillage, then with the engine running and the heaters on full, leave a window slightly open (about 1-2 cm)

Space
02-01-2011, 17:21
This sometimes happens if you have the recycled air option selected, or if it isn't dis-engaging correctly when you turn it off.

sTaGeWaLkEr
02-01-2011, 17:21
It might also be moisture in the car mats - take them out, give them a good clean and replace when dry.

AKITA
02-01-2011, 17:24
I had it in my MK3 astra, now in my MK4. A friend has a MK4 and he has the problem too. Never bothered me i just get on with it, but i have just googled it.

"have had problems similar with astras which turned out to be pollen filter not being changed in years and it retains all the moisture make sure if your vehicle has one that its changed regular " (http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/showthread.php?p=99468)

clownaround
02-01-2011, 17:30
It could be the head gasket. Mine was steaming up and thats what it turned out to be. Eventually the car just gave up.

AKITA
02-01-2011, 17:32
It could be the head gasket. Mine was steaming up and thats what it turned out to be. Eventually the car just gave up.

Head gasket and window condensation are 2 VERY different things.

clownaround
02-01-2011, 17:36
Head gasket and window condensation are 2 VERY different things.

It happens because the warm air that comes from the engine bay is moist due to the head gasket failiure and therefore condenses on the windscreen.
Even if you dont have the heaters on it will blow warm moist air onto the inside of the windscreen through the vents.

AKITA
02-01-2011, 17:45
A head gaskets purpose is to avoid leakage of coolant or engine oil into the cylinders. You can get water on the engine from splashing in puddles, rain water running in to the engine bay and so on, so the warm moist air could get in to the car at any time, old or new.

The pollen filter seems more logical if there are not leaks. Also as others have said, damp carpets.

tonyp5467
02-01-2011, 17:45
haha head gasket haha
try changing your pollen filter like i did on my astra 5 ish and 2 minutes to fit and problems solved
hahahahahahaha head gasket hahahahahahahahahaha

Strix
02-01-2011, 17:46
grit salt trampled into the mats can attract moisture and cause problems too

if you use a moisture trap, stand it in a washing up bowl to make it easy to empty without spilling caustic water somewhere you don't want it

could it just be that your journeys are all so short the car isn't drying out properly after the wet weather?

AKITA
02-01-2011, 17:50
haha head gasket haha
try changing your pollen filter like i did on my astra 5 ish and 2 minutes to fit and problems solved
hahahahahahaha head gasket hahahahahahahahahaha

grit salt trampled into the mats can attract moisture and cause problems too

if you use a moisture trap, stand it in a washing up bowl to make it easy to empty without spilling caustic water somewhere you don't want it

could it just be that your journeys are all so short the car isn't drying out properly after the wet weather?

:thumbsup: seems about right.

clownaround
02-01-2011, 17:57
Only sharing personal experience. If I had checked it earlier then i may still have the car.
Dosent take much to have it checked if all the obvious dosent work.
Please let us know the outcome.
Mine was a mk 3 astra.
Plus when the head gasket goes the temperature gauge rockets.

charliewagg
02-01-2011, 17:57
its like it in the morning.or if ave been out in it and come back a few hours later,it steams up again.very strange indeed.

AKITA
02-01-2011, 18:01
its like it in the morning.or if ave been out in it and come back a few hours later,it steams up again.very strange indeed.

Yours seems more severe then mine, but i would go down to euro parts and grab a pollen filter.

6.93 for mine 1.6 MK4 Astra G (http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Vauxhall_Astra_1.6_2004/p/car-parts/car-service-parts/regular-service/pollen-filter/?507720111&1&a40c9378fb2f60d4ff5706db59df38bf89cf1b5f&CBNF)

tonyp5467
02-01-2011, 18:03
mine did exactly the same and a pollen filter cured it

clownaround
02-01-2011, 18:15
Are all the seals around the doors/windows ok no small kinks?
Or water inside the drainage rails either side of the windscreen they can get blocked with leaves. These are suggestions from the Vauxhall owners club.

gnvqsos
02-01-2011, 18:15
Get lass to wind down windows!

criss
02-01-2011, 18:47
Put a container of table salt on your dashboard when you get out of the car,it soaks all the condensation up.

alchresearch
02-01-2011, 18:48
I had the same problem 2 days ago, brought the car mats in (which were damp from all the wet) and dried them out. No problems today.

Check the pollen filter though, I had two Astras where they got wet due to a badly fitted windscreen water drain channel.

carosio
02-01-2011, 18:49
It's probably not the cause of the steaming, but do check (as clownaround suggests) the drainage is not blocked around the heater intake. On my Mk 3 Astra it drains into a central rubber tube and this had become blocked allowing the channel to fill and overflow down the air intake resulting in swamped carpets. I had to strip out the floorpan sound proofing and leave to dry out during the summer months.

CNCskilled
02-01-2011, 19:04
Here you go buy some of this - brilliant stuff!

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/products/products/204750/rainx_antifog.html

PaymePal
02-01-2011, 19:22
I once had a Mk 4 Astra and the head gasket was the problem. The engine cooling system built up pressure due to the compression stroke pushing boiling water through the block at high pressure and fracturing the heater matrix supply pipe within the dash board area but only very slightly so it took ages to trace where the problem was. The car interior developed a very "acidic" pungent smell. Cost fortunes to sort...

clownaround
02-01-2011, 19:34
I once had a Mk 4 Astra and the head gasket was the problem. The engine cooling system built up pressure due to the compression stroke pushing boiling water through the block at high pressure and fracturing the heater matrix supply pipe within the dash board area but only very slightly so it took ages to trace where the problem was. The car interior developed a very "acidic" pungent smell. Cost fortunes to sort...

Just like i said. See all the ha ha ha ha ha ha ha was unfounded.
Happy days.
Thanks PAYMEPAL!
They thought i was talking sh!!

saxon51
03-01-2011, 10:17
I don't have an Astra,but I have had this condensation problem more than usual this winter.

One cause I discovered was that the rear window wash tube had come away from the nozzle and everytime I attempted to spray the rear window (thinking it was just blocked with ice) I was soaking the boot lining instead. Tube probably came adrift due to it being frozen solid and thus not bending with the wiper mechanism.

Another cause was the wet mats (especially the driver's side) from constant covering of slush.

Thirdly, as already mentioned by someone, putting the blower on 'outside source' and having the window open slighly helped freshen the air.

Finally, I have heard it said that turning the heater off and allowing the internal air to cool down to closer to the outside temperatue prior to securing the car for the night helps reduce the moisture content which is causing the condensation.

Oh, and if the windscreen has ever been frozen on the inside, then water from this ice will probably have trickled down into the demist blower.

morTvika
03-01-2011, 12:37
It could be the heater matrix

1, Does it get worse when you tunr on the heaer to clear the windows
2, Does it smell like an anti freeze smell - sweet kinoff
3. Is the carpet in front footwell wet -depends where youre heate matrix is

if so can replace reatively easily if you want to do yourself or take it in

medusa
03-01-2011, 12:50
When we have bad condensation it's usually due to the dog bed getting all soggy after she's lain down on it a few times when she's got really wet while out and about or I've left a wet waterproof coat in the car after a walk.

The other thing, of course, is that in cold weather human beings' breath is moisture laden so if you've had a car full of people for a while then the air will be a lot more moist than the outside air.

Start off by removing anything obviously wet like outdoor clothes, drying out seats, floor mats and the like and drive with the air conditioning on warm and the windows open a little whenever you can. If that doesn't sort it out then changing the filter on your heater system may help, but if there's another cause (like the aforementioned window wash tube soaking the boot lining) then none of those will help until you've sorted the initial problem.

charliewagg
03-02-2011, 21:50
just solved the problem.ave scraped it.problem solved lol

Rupert_Baehr
03-02-2011, 23:03
Are there drain holes in the bottom of the doors?

Are they blocked and do you have some water in the doors?