View Full Version : Out of date medication

chocki
02-01-2011, 13:14
:help: Woke up this morning with a sore throat and runny nose. Feel crap and I'm going on my hols tomorrow. I've got some lemsip in cupboard but it says use by November 09! Will it do me any harm to take them? Don't feel like going out to shops :gag:

jennycakes
02-01-2011, 13:15
depends what is it?

*Peaches*
02-01-2011, 13:17
I wouldn't....

Take Paracetamol for now, it should help

upinwath
02-01-2011, 13:19
I'd risk taking it.
Lemsip is so expensive you can't afford to waste it..

JFKvsNixon
02-01-2011, 13:22
:help: Woke up this morning with a sore throat and runny nose. Feel crap and I'm going on my hols tomorrow. I've got some lemsip in cupboard but it says use by November 09! Will it do me any harm to take them? Don't feel like going out to shops :gag:

There is potential for harm, so I wouldn't take it but the main active ingredient in it is Paracetamol so you take that instead. Lemsip also has a decongestant in it, but if you've not got a blocked nose you'll not miss it.

Regular Paracetamol and Ibuprofen with lots of fluid and vitamin C will help just as much.

chocki
02-01-2011, 13:23
Thanks everyone. Paracetomol it is then and plenty of fluids

mollie
02-01-2011, 15:21
JFK just out of interest when you say "potential for harm" what could it do to you? have often wondered myself with out of date medicines.

poppins
02-01-2011, 15:46
JFK just out of interest when you say "potential for harm" what could it do to you? have often wondered myself with out of date medicines.

I understand that there is no potential harm taking out of date meds, only difference is they might not be full strenght, also the last dates of use are so far off, they could still have full strenght for another year or so.

frank ryan
02-01-2011, 16:02

if it's got extra ingredients growing in it you really will feel crap!