Beginner tips for fly fishing!

for my new year resolution im going to learn to fly fish...ive dabbled in course fishing with a 4m rig pole when i was younger! any tips or websites on how to start up as a beginner!?

i would seriously consider some professional tuition. there may be adverts in trout fisherman magazine or search on the net.

go on you tube, type in ''fly fishing lessons'

Birkdale, good on you!

I am in my second full season fly fishing and can get a line out, but would definitely recommend a lesson or two just to get the basics. I can recommend one or two people if you like?

I would be happy to explain the basics to you based on what I've learnt so far; fire away with questions!

I would also recommend joining flyforums.co.uk, there's a wealth of information there.

Books wise I would recommend matching the hatch by peter lapsey, and one by Nick Hart (i'll look when I get home).

try bakewell fly fishing shop 01629813531 he does 1 on 1 lessons and is verry good mate he can meet u at barlow trout ponds

Get a decent Fly Rod else you'll just get frustrated

Just go and do it.....i wanted to learn to fly fish so i just bought a cheap set up and went to the lake and just practiced. I probably looked a right numpty to start with but i got there in the end :)

Nothing will beat learning your self try casting with a short line with no fly on,say on a field also if you have sky there are some great programs on there

for my new year resolution im going to learn to fly fish...ive dabbled in course fishing with a 4m rig pole when i was younger! any tips or websites on how to start up as a beginner!?

I'm in the same BOAT as you, I used to fly fish 30 years ago but was only a learner - Once you can cast a fly it's a cheap hobby I think, (ladybower res. all day £12.00) I don't fancy the idea of paying someone to teach me (not working) so will have a go on my own. What I was thinking is joining up, and to go somewhere together, I don't have transport but I'm willing to go half's on fuel cost. It really depends if you want to see me act the fool or for me to see you do the same - lol - before you even think about it I must say I'm a "Victor Meldrew" type bloke (in other words - an old fart) If you don't have transport, we could at least catch a bus somewhere. I think it's great with a mate, but don't really fancy it on my own. I used to go with a mate down Ogmore south wales and I wouldn't see or talk to him for 3 - 4 hours, but it was great having a drink after and bragging about what you lost.

Just bought a Rod - Yesterday a "Black Shimano 628 composite Fly Fishing rod 9'9") you fly fishermen out there please " is it any good"? Did I pay to much for it? No not saying, don't wan't to look like a complete plonker, What's it worth?

I'm in the same BOAT as you, I used to fly fish 30 years ago but was only a learner - Once you can cast a fly it's a cheap hobby I think, (ladybower res. all day £12.00) I don't fancy the idea of paying someone to teach me (not working) so will have a go on my own. What I was thinking is joining up, and to go somewhere together, I don't have transport but I'm willing to go half's on fuel cost. It really depends if you want to see me act the fool or for me to see you do the same - lol - before you even think about it I must say I'm a "Victor Meldrew" type bloke (in other words - an old fart) If you don't have transport, we could at least catch a bus somewhere. I think it's great with a mate, but don't really fancy it on my own. I used to go with a mate down Ogmore south wales and I wouldn't see or talk to him for 3 - 4 hours, but it was great having a drink after and bragging about what you lost.

Just bought a Rod - Yesterday a "Black Shimano 628 composite Fly Fishing rod 9'9") you fly fishermen out there please " is it any good"? Did I pay to much for it? No not saying, don't wan't to look like a complete plonker, What's it worth?

What weight did you get ? Remember a fly rod is designed to cast a certain weight line. If you don't match them up you're in trouble

What weight did you get ? Remember a fly rod is designed to cast a certain weight line. If you don't match them up you're in trouble

The rod is marked at 6-8, I'm hoping to get away with using a number 6 forward weighted Wet line as it's the only one I have at the moment.