Horse riding lessons for weight loss

hello people,

i am offering to teach people to ride privatly.

for half an hours lesson it is £10 and for one hours riding it is £20 a lesson.

you will need your own insurance which is around £20 a year and will cover agaisnt any injuries but you wont get any....just in case :)

i am doing this because the lessons now are ridiculusly expensive e.g £35 ffor half an hour lesson :/

any ages i dont mind.

there is availble off road hacking lessons also.

jumping, gymkana, barrel racing. anything you want to learn.

Please pm me if your intrested :)

thanks a lot :)

Just wanted to point out a couple of things. They are £35 for a whole load of reasons, which is stupid but insurance is one of them and the teacher being qualified is another. I am assuming you are not qualified to teach, which isn't necessarily a problem but you should point this out to people who don't know how the riding schools work/qualifications :)

Also, for people who are interested it might be worth getting in touch with the British Horse Society to find out about their membership schemes which also offer an insurance. It is rider insurance you would be looking for, but check all the details. Rider insurance might only be covered if the horse is separately insured for people other than the owner to ride. Only mentioning as I had a friend get into some bother with a similar situation.

A great idea though. I was lucky to learn whilst growing up, not much of that was at a proper riding school. There doesn't seem to be similar opportunities as readily available now and a lot of people can't afford to learn which is a shame.

yes i know all of these thanks for pointing them out though :)

they are 35 and 45 pound a lesson is not because of insurance and things

its just the schools getting greedier (i used to work at one) they moved there price to

15 halfhour to 25 halfhour for the simple reason of losing a few clients so they upped the price :/

i am not qualified no. but i know how to teach used to help out teaching the kids so i know i can teach.

thanks for the input (not sarcastic) haha

the reason i am doing it is to give people who may be embarressed about weight to go to a real school or perhaps cannot afford this.

Thanks guys :)

yes i know all of these thanks for pointing them out though :)

they are 35 and 45 pound a lesson is not because of insurance and things

its just the schools getting greedier (i used to work at one) they moved there price to

15 halfhour to 25 halfhour for the simple reason of losing a few clients so they upped the price :/

i am not qualified no. but i know how to teach used to help out teaching the kids so i know i can teach.

thanks for the input (not sarcastic) haha

the reason i am doing it is to give people who may be embarressed about weight to go to a real school or perhaps cannot afford this.

Thanks guys :)

I think it is a lovely offer :) The price charged is now very expensive, I guess like any commerical business they have lots of overheads to cover. As long as you ensure you have all the correct equipment and insurance for yourself and the horse it would be like a friend teaching you to ride which I bet is how the majority of people actually do learn that do not have money ;) You would think if they made it cheaper (or did bundle offers) more people would be able to access it.

I had a few lessons when I was younger and loved it but my parents could not afford to allow me to go weekly, so we used to go just once a month so I never really learnt much as you would forget from one month to the next!

If I had any spare time I would take up your offer as learning to ride properly is something on my to do list, but will have to wait for the time being :(

Thanks evie :)

yeah i have all the right equipment and things,

i am just pointing out that i have some exams in late jan/early feb time so i am getting a list together then teaching after that :)

you may have some spare time in the week then :)

thanks x

Thanks evie :)

yeah i have all the right equipment and things,

i am just pointing out that i have some exams in late jan/early feb time so i am getting a list together then teaching after that :)

you may have some spare time in the week then :)

thanks x

I'll keep you in mind :)

Good Luck with the examinations, lots of revision then!

Hi, Can you give a few more details, where will you be holding the lessons and do you have your own horses? Thanks

If you are teaching on your own horses then you need to be licensed with whichever local authority you come under as a riding school, make sure you have the correct planning permission for the premises and hold the right insurances as a minimum standard. You were looking for a loan horse the other week to move to a livery yard, seems strange for someone setting up as a riding school (which is what you are doing), and looking further back through your posts you are only 17 and have never had your own horse. If you are planning on teaching on a loaned horse, does the horse's owner know what you are up to?

You have very little experience to be teaching anyone else. It is very hard to do so properly (I teach riding for a living, am a lot older than you and am still learning myself and taking exams!). As Jess says there are lots of reasons that lessons cost a lot, horses are very expensive to keep when they are healthy and have a high tendency to get ill or injured so still need feeding but not be able to work, and lots of maintenance has to be put into proper safe premises to keep them so. You say you have worked at a riding school but at your age you can't have been there very long.

Apart from all the issues here, you would have to be riding several horses a day at a high intensity (think 3 day event level) to actually gain much fitness or lose weight just from riding, not what your average beginner/riding school client is up to!

Please think again

The loan horse was for a friend so that one was not mine, and i have owned and still own my own horse. thanks for your input :)

Really? The post I am looking at is written in the first person...

So aside from that, have you any comments about the rest of what I've said above about the legalities of what you are doing and how experienced you are?

Just reading more of your old posts, you were also previously offering pet sitting and weren't insured for that either, and you did confirm that it is you that is 17, not your friend, on that thread.

yes i am the petsitter, my friend carly couldnt logon to her sheffield forum thing so she used mine ( as i said she could)

tell me if you wanted to teach a friend how to ride would you need riding school insurance?

and the stables it is at has the riding school insurance, i have much experiance with horses and used to teach 'early learners' myself eg kids at like 6-9 usually and some adults.

and primaraly i am just wanting to give people a chance to have some lessons not paying the world and then having to stop due to funding.

again thanks for your input :)

also i am not starting up an riding school just helping people if they should want it.

Edited by orcagirl93
forgot to put it in

I'm a bit worried about the poor horse....what's the weight limit for the rider ?

(unless it's a Shire of course)