View Full Version : Gremlin Graphics? Where are they now?

Space
31-10-2005, 20:25
Hey all,

I know this is a long-shot but does anyone know the where-abouts of any ex Gremlin Graphics games programmers? I'm mainly looking for Peter Harrap who designed and programmed the 'Monty Mole' series on the Spectrum...

I'm not sure if they are working under a new guise now or if they have given up the programming business completely...
They used to be based in the late 80's/early 90's on Carver Street and am not sure if they merged with French developers Infogrammes.

Thanks in advance,

sPaCe

Saifa
31-10-2005, 20:59
They did merge with infogrammes, afaik.

One of the guys I train with used to work for em back in the day I'll see if he knows next time I'm down the dojo.

Rich
31-10-2005, 21:03
I did work experience at Krisalis software Ltd at Teque House in Rotherham back in 1990, Pete Harrap aka Nobby was working there at the time, still might be.

Google for Krisalis Software to find their contact details as it was 15 years ago so I can't remember anything.

Edit: Found their address and phone number here (http://www.thelocalweb.net/index/CSO/tlw_334691.htm)

medusa
31-10-2005, 21:05
SFer Headup used to work for Gremlin (I think), but is now in the US.

I could probably find you 3 or 4 others (I used to share a house with a group of them) but not the person that you mentioned.

headup
01-11-2005, 00:23
As if by magic - the shop keeper appeared.....

I was at Gremlin *just* before it was bought by Infogrames (who later started using the Atari brand); many of the original guys had moved on long before I got there. :(

Also - I was in marketing and as anyone in the business knows, marketing and dev never EVER speak on pain of DEATH. DEATH!

meersbrook
01-11-2005, 05:43
As you probably know, Gremlin Graphics first became "Gremlin Interactive" - and relocated from original Sheffield HQ on Carver Street to an (at the time!) impressive spot next to the Washington Pub near Devonshire Green (now demolished and being rebuilt as ... trendy appartments I think [for a change..])

I remember this as I went for an interview there sometime in the late 1990's (have a clear memory or sitting next to a life-size cardboard cut-out of Alan Shearer in reception .. but I digress!)

Anyway, as someone else pointed out, Gremlin was then "absorbed" / taken over by French publisher Infogrammes .. and then it seemed to go wrong (or the brand was phased out - not sure exactly what happened)

Anyway, although I know not of the whereabouts of Mr. Harrap (sorry), I _do_ know that former Gremlin "head-honcho" Ian Stewart is still around in Sheffield - as far as I know he runs the *highly* successful "ZOO Digital Group" company, based believe it or not on Division Street (or they were until recently anyway - look out for the green stickers in the windows up above)

In actual fact, there's a photo of Ian on the Home page of their site (Duke of York story)

http://www.zoodigitalgroup.com/splash.asp?sec=74&style=5

Their telephone number is on the contact page. You never know - someone there might have Harrap's contact info, as I suspect that there might be more Gremlin connections beyond Mr. Stewart.

Ramble, ramble - hope that helps!

p.s. Say "hi" to Monty from me if you track him down .. LOL

RazorSHarp
01-11-2005, 07:38
My Cousin, Patrick, worked for Gremlin, then Infogrammes and left as they moved the operation to Atari in France. I heard recently that a few of the old Gremlin gang had got together and started a new company. I'll see if I can sift some more info from him at the weekend.

Jingo
01-11-2005, 09:19
Hi

A few of the Gremlin old boys started up a company called Sumo Digital based around the arena somewhere last heard.

The guy who set up gremlin in the first place many moons ago set up Zoo digital and thats going strong

One of the guys on this fourm should be able to tell you more, he may well see this and post, Over to you segasonic

Rich
01-11-2005, 12:28
Originally posted by meersbrook
As you probably know, Gremlin Graphics first became "Gremlin Interactive" - and relocated from original Sheffield HQ on Carver Street to an (at the time!) impressive spot next to the Washington Pub near Devonshire Green (now demolished and being rebuilt as ... trendy appartments I think [for a change..])

I remember this as I went for an interview there sometime in the late 1990's (have a clear memory or sitting next to a life-size cardboard cut-out of Alan Shearer in reception .. but I digress!)

Anyway, as someone else pointed out, Gremlin was then "absorbed" / taken over by French publisher Infogrammes .. and then it seemed to go wrong (or the brand was phased out - not sure exactly what happened)

Anyway, although I know not of the whereabouts of Mr. Harrap (sorry), I _do_ know that former Gremlin "head-honcho" Ian Stewart is still around in Sheffield - as far as I know he runs the *highly* successful "ZOO Digital Group" company, based believe it or not on Division Street (or they were until recently anyway - look out for the green stickers in the windows up above)

In actual fact, there's a photo of Ian on the Home page of their site (Duke of York story)

http://www.zoodigitalgroup.com/splash.asp?sec=74&style=5

Their telephone number is on the contact page. You never know - someone there might have Harrap's contact info, as I suspect that there might be more Gremlin connections beyond Mr. Stewart.

Ramble, ramble - hope that helps!

p.s. Say "hi" to Monty from me if you track him down .. LOL

IIRC Zoo Digital is now near Office World in Town, not far from the old Pop Museum.

Edit: Found their contact details on Google.

20 Furnival Street
Sheffield
S1 4QT
UK

General enquiries:
T: +44 (0) 114 241 3700
F: +44 (0) 114 241 3701
E: info@zoodigitalpublishing.com

segasonic
01-11-2005, 13:13
Originally posted by Jingo
Hi

A few of the Gremlin old boys started up a company called Sumo Digital based around the arena somewhere last heard.

The guy who set up gremlin in the first place many moons ago set up Zoo digital and thats going strong

One of the guys on this fourm should be able to tell you more, he may well see this and post, Over to you segasonic

Eyup Jingo, how's things?

Yep, Sumo Digital is mainly ex Gremlogrames and Particle/Argonaut people, plus a few from Climax. We're at Arena Court, next to Brewsters pub.

http://www.sumo-digital.com/

As Rich says, Zoo is now next to the Republic and there are a lot of ex Gremlogrames guys there as far as I know.

I know a few people who were at Krisalis/Teque, I believe they closed years ago ... I don't know Pete Harrap personally, his bio is here http://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,41465/ and may contain some useful info.

Jingo
01-11-2005, 13:23
Not too shabby mucker

You managed to dispose of that Nice bit of bacteria you had?

segasonic
01-11-2005, 14:19
Originally posted by Jingo
Not too shabby mucker

You managed to dispose of that Nice bit of bacteria you had?

Yeah, I'm the resilient sort. :) Didn't even require time off work ...
Must meet up for drinkage before xmas! :thumbsup:

Space
01-11-2005, 17:05
Thanks for all your replies! I'm gonna chase them up and see if I can find any of the lads!

I do remember going into the games shop next to them (Just Micro) when I was a nipper and the Gremlin lads letting us playtest all their unreleased stuff ages before it came into retail!

Great to see a Sheffield based firm designing and making a brand such as Monty, most people will recognise the name even if they have never played them.

I wish they would release a new version on the Xbox!!! :thumbsup:

Thanks again....

meersbrook
01-11-2005, 18:15
Originally posted by Space
Thanks for all your replies! I'm gonna chase them up and see if I can find any of the lads!

I do remember going into the games shop next to them (Just Micro) when I was a nipper and the Gremlin lads letting us playtest all their unreleased stuff ages before it came into retail!

Great to see a Sheffield based firm designing and making a brand such as Monty, most people will recognise the name even if they have never played them.

Thanks again....

"Monty on the Run 360" - now *there's* a cool concept LOL

Glad to be of help. Good luck in tracking down the "author"

Cheers.

Nicholarse
01-11-2005, 19:44
Monty Mole was from Sheffield? Never knew that, still it explains a lot about the original game plot.

NM

Rich
01-11-2005, 20:04

Thanks again....

Oh yeah, Next gen Monty Mole would own on so many levels! As would next gen Jack the Nipper!

Nicholarse
01-11-2005, 23:21
Ye Gods! Jack the Nipper! Genius game!!

Who owns the rights to all that stuff. Lot of highly marketable brands there, surely.

NM

Lindseyw
01-11-2005, 23:22
Originally posted by Nicholarse
Ye Gods! Jack the Nipper! Genius game!!

Who owns the rights to all that stuff. Lot of highly marketable brands there, surely.

NM

you should be working !!!

ReverendSam
02-11-2005, 09:42
I worked in Infogrames Sheffield Studios until the erm, interesting, end, nice big redundancy cheques, a month of stripping anything valuable out of the building, (including a basement of old consoles and suits of armour) and playing inter office golf throughout the building. Ahhhh, Interesting times.

Just in case anyone is interested about 1/4 of the staff endded in sumo, 1/4 in zoo, a few in tuna, and the rest left sheffield, (1/2 UK, 1/2 US), or a few like myself left the games industry all together.

As for the property rights, some got sold off, a few got transferred to sumo or other leaving staff's new ventures, but most went on to Atari US.

Either way things look better again in the city with Sumo, and ZOO both doing well, (currently expanding), although i hope slightly more stable than Infogrames. (I mean, some of the things in the companies entertainmnet budget......Oh dear, Indeed....)

Sam

ReverendSam
02-11-2005, 09:50
I'm mainly looking for Peter Harrap....

best i can offer is this sorry, http://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,41465/

ReverendSam
02-11-2005, 09:59
or if you want a general snapshot of the 'Harrap' era - this makes interesting reading
http://www.crashonline.org.uk/18/gremlin.htm

nda1970
02-11-2005, 20:42
I worked with Pete Harrap at Teque/Krisalis for many years.
The last time I saw him he was running the IT department of a school in Doncaster, but I think he's doing a similar job in the Leeds area now.
Krisalis closed down about 4 years ago, but Pete had already left by then. I think he just got fed up with the games industry.

meersbrook
02-11-2005, 21:10
Originally posted by nda1970
I worked with Pete Harrap at Teque/Krisalis for many years.
The last time I saw him he was running the IT department of a school in Doncaster, but I think he's doing a similar job in the Leeds area now.
Krisalis closed down about 4 years ago, but Pete had already left by then. I think he just got fed up with the games industry.

I bet he made one hell of a fun I.T. teacher..

"Remember kids - it's Z to go left, X to go right and Space Bar to jump.."

Auf Wiedersehen Monty A-Level anyone ... ?

ThomasAa
26-05-2013, 17:36
Hi,

I like mainly to get in touch with ReverendSam.

I am a Norwegian guy, and have been in touch with a bunch of programmers from Gremlin interactive over the last years regarding Actua Soccer! I also had personal contact with Mr Ian Stewart as well as Barry Hatch and Martin Hooley. The owners back in the 90s behind the companies in Sheffield. Martin owned Runecraft Ltd, while Ian owned Gremlin Interactive Limited.

I have some questions if you are able to answer, but I am not allowed to send you any personal messages. I am very interested to get details. Essepcially what happened to the source codes after Infogrames went bankrupted!

Best regards Thomas

Grappler
26-05-2013, 18:29
Hi,

I am a Norwegian guy, and have been in touch with a bunch of programmers from Gremlin interactive over the last years regarding Actua Soccer! I also had personal contact with Mr Ian Stewart as well as Barry Hatch and Martin Hooley. The owners back in the 90s behind the companies in Sheffield. Martin owned Runecraft Ltd, while Ian owned Gremlin Interactive Limited.

I have some questions if you are able to answer, but I am not allowed to send you any personal messages. I am very interested to get details. Essepcially what happened to the source codes after Infogrames went bankrupted!

Best regards Thomas

The source code may be owned by Atari, who were part of the Infogrames organisation. The source code will be quite old by now of course, because I had already thought of that myself ;)

melthebell
26-05-2013, 18:33
Hi,

Best regards Thomas

i believe its 5 posts and you can pm?

ThomasAa
26-05-2013, 18:43
Hi,

Yes, I need five postes, but I do not got them yet. :)

Well, I know all this about the source code. The game was developed in 1995. I have talked to most of the programmers, which have given me many details about the code etc. :) (Incluing Phillip Rankin, Julian Gardner, Richard Stevenson, Andy Findlay and Laurent Noel)

Zoo acquired all the Actua Sport back in 2003 from ATARI after Infogrames went into bankruptcy. I talked to Ian Stewart about this matter, but he think all codes wore thrown when Infogrames closed and the building was demolished! Although I would like to actually get more detailed information, as I cannot believe all is gone. ATARI closed down everything in the UK this year, so I assume everything is gone. Any detailed information would be interesting.

Kindest regards Thomas

R_Kelly23
26-05-2013, 18:50
I don't know the person you state but from the late 90's I do remember "twok owt terry" who used to sell his own playstation games at the bottom of the moor, does anyone know what he is upto now?

Grappler
26-05-2013, 18:55
Hi,

Yes, I need five postes, but I do not got them yet. :)

Well, I know all this about the source code. The game was developed in 1995. I have talked to most of the programmers, which have given me many details about the code etc. :) (Incluing Phillip Rankin, Julian Gardner, Richard Stevenson, Andy Findlay and Laurent Noel)

Zoo acquired all the Actua Sport back in 2003 from ATARI after Infogrames went into bankruptcy. I talked to Ian Stewart about this matter, but he think all codes wore thrown when Infogrames closed and the building was demolished! Although I would like to actually get more detailed information, as I cannot believe all is gone. ATARI closed down everything in the UK this year, so I assume everything is gone. Any detailed information would be interesting.

Kindest regards Thomas

If Infogrames/Atari did indeed throw away all the source code, that would indeed be a shame.

There are other people connected with the game who may be able to shed some light on it, I will see if I can get in touch with them.

---------- Post added 26-05-2013 at 19:56 ----------

I don't know the person you state but from the late 90's I do remember "twok owt terry" who used to sell his own playstation games at the bottom of the moor, does anyone know what he is upto now?

You mean he developed his own games? Which ones did he create?

ThomasAa
26-05-2013, 19:05
Hi Grappler,

Yes, it is a big shame!

I have involved myself a lot in this soccer game! I am very enthusiastic!

Ian Stewart gave me the rights to obtain the code in 2011. Today the Actua Soccer IP is still in Ian Stewarts hands! He is still in the game business; Urbanscan. His company is the owner of all rights to Actua Soccer. As CEO of Zoo Digital they acquired the old Gremlin games back from ATARI, but from what I know they never got the codes from them!

I was in contact with Mr Richard Stevenson from 2009 until 2012. He had the source code in hand, but he has not yet handed it over to me. We had a large post on Facebook including many of the previous programmers and artists which worked for Gremlin Interactive with the disks including the code. He got the code on his computer in Sheffield, but sadly I have not got it yet. :/ So I try to get it in another way instead. It seems to be quite hopeless, as I have tried for 10 years now to get it...

Grappler
26-05-2013, 19:13
Hi Grappler,

Yes, it is a big shame!

I have involved myself a lot in this soccer game! I am very enthusiastic!

Ian Stewart gave me the rights to obtain the code in 2011. Today the Actua Soccer IP is still in Ian Stewarts hands! He is still in the game business; Urbanscan. His company is the owner of all rights to Actua Soccer. As CEO of Zoo Digital they acquired the old Gremlin games back from ATARI, but from what I know they never got the codes from them!

I was in contact with Mr Richard Stevenson from 2009 until 2012. He had the source code in hand, but he has not yet handed it over to me. We had a large post on Facebook including many of the previous programmers and artists which worked for Gremlin Interactive with the disks including the code. He got the code on his computer in Sheffield, but sadly I have not got it yet. :/ So I try to get it in another way instead. It seems to be quite hopeless, as I have tried for 10 years now to get it...

Maybe if Rich Stevenson sees this he may see you have the blessing of Ian to have the code, who knows.

R_Kelly23
26-05-2013, 19:50
If Infogrames/Atari did indeed throw away all the source code, that would indeed be a shame.

There are other people connected with the game who may be able to shed some light on it, I will see if I can get in touch with them.

---------- Post added 26-05-2013 at 19:56 ----------

You mean he developed his own games? Which ones did he create?

lets just say they was all his own work ;)

denomis
26-05-2013, 19:57
Atari have just put everything up for sale.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-05-23-atari-assets-up-for-sale-rollercoaster-tycoon-for-USD3-5m-test-drive-for-USD1-5m-total-annihilation-for-USD250k

If they own it you may be able to buy it.

ThomasAa
26-05-2013, 20:15
Hi dear Grappler,

Do you best to get in touch with those you know. It would be very nice if you are willing to help me out. :)

I have spoken to more of them then mentioned in my previous email. I also have spoken to Sie Barlow, Asad Habib, Andy Campbell, Ian Stones, James North-Hearn amongst others.

I do not know about Richard. I have told his friends back in the Gremlin period to contact him. He has told them several times to send me the back ups he got, but he has not done it... I do not think he ever will, as I last spoke to him 18 months ago...

ATARI still got the assets to VR Soccer (The American version of Actua Soccer), but there is no source codes from what I know. Is there any possibility to get in touch with the lawyers or whatever persons that deals with the ATARI assets? I do not believe VR Soccer will be the biggest sale for them! :D

---------- Post added 26-05-2013 at 22:17 ----------

If anyone knows anything about the period in 2003 when Infogrames went into banrupcy and what happened to the stuff inside the building it would be interesting to know!

---------- Post added 27-05-2013 at 10:03 ----------

Please remember that ATARI Inc is an American company. While ATARI SA which is an French franchise is another company. ATARI wore owned by Infogrames Entertainment SA, but in 2008 they changed to ATARI SA to get rid of the confusions. Well I am confused myself :D ...

As a cause of this I think ATARI SA will hold the assets for the Actua Soccer versions released elsewhere under another name. (It would be VR Soccer, RAN Soccer, Fotball Feber amongst others)

catpus
27-05-2013, 08:07
Hey all,

I know this is a long-shot but does anyone know the where-abouts of any ex Gremlin Graphics games programmers? I'm mainly looking for Peter Harrap who designed and programmed the 'Monty Mole' series on the Spectrum...

I'm not sure if they are working under a new guise now or if they have given up the programming business completely...
They used to be based in the late 80's/early 90's on Carver Street and am not sure if they merged with French developers Infogrammes.

Thanks in advance,

sPaCe

Gremlin were bought by French Company Infogramme who bought the name Atari; which is no longer.
I believe that Pete Harrap now works for Sumo Digital as do some other Gremlin people.. Part of the F1 Group whose Director is James Northearn. I hope this is helpful?

ThomasAa
27-05-2013, 08:11
Gremlin Interactive Limited was acquired by Infogrames Entertainment SA (French) in 1999. They made a own company for the Green house (Which was the same building that the office Gremlin had!) and called it Infogrames Studio Ltd. In 2003 they did go into bankruptcy, but as ATARI did own Infogrames the assets moved on to them! :)

---------- Post added 27-05-2013 at 10:12 ----------

http://www.giantbomb.com/atari-sa/3010-548/

http://www.mobygames.com/company/infogrames-studios-ltd

Grappler
27-05-2013, 11:34
Gremlin were bought by French Company Infogramme who bought the name Atari; which is no longer.
I believe that Pete Harrap now works for Sumo Digital as do some other Gremlin people.. Part of the F1 Group whose Director is James Northearn. I hope this is helpful?

That would be Foundation 9 I think.

---------- Post added 27-05-2013 at 12:36 ----------

Hi dear Grappler,

Do you best to get in touch with those you know. It would be very nice if you are willing to help me out. :)

I have spoken to more of them then mentioned in my previous email. I also have spoken to Sie Barlow, Asad Habib, Andy Campbell, Ian Stones, James North-Hearn amongst others.

I do not know about Richard. I have told his friends back in the Gremlin period to contact him. He has told them several times to send me the back ups he got, but he has not done it... I do not think he ever will, as I last spoke to him 18 months ago...

ATARI still got the assets to VR Soccer (The American version of Actua Soccer), but there is no source codes from what I know. Is there any possibility to get in touch with the lawyers or whatever persons that deals with the ATARI assets? I do not believe VR Soccer will be the biggest sale for them! :D

---------- Post added 26-05-2013 at 22:17 ----------

If anyone knows anything about the period in 2003 when Infogrames went into banrupcy and what happened to the stuff inside the building it would be interesting to know!

---------- Post added 27-05-2013 at 10:03 ----------

Please remember that ATARI Inc is an American company. While ATARI SA which is an French franchise is another company. ATARI wore owned by Infogrames Entertainment SA, but in 2008 they changed to ATARI SA to get rid of the confusions. Well I am confused myself :D ...

As a cause of this I think ATARI SA will hold the assets for the Actua Soccer versions released elsewhere under another name. (It would be VR Soccer, RAN Soccer, Fotball Feber amongst others)

I don't think that Interplay or Fox Sports Interactive ever had the source to VR Soccer, etc.

If you have contacted all of the people you say, and gotten nowhere, then I think the chances of getting the source code is getting slimmer.

ThomasAa
27-05-2013, 11:46
Hi Grappler,

Interplay was just publisher of VR Soccer.
Also the Norwegian version "Fotball Feber" released by Add-On and the German version "RAN Soccer" released by GreenWood Entertainment was also just publishers! Gremlin Interactive Ltd programmed and kept everything..

If there should be any chance it would be ATARI, but as all the UK-based offices are closed I doubt it!

Well Richard Stevenson got a back up. I do not know if the source code he got are the end product, and probably not, but the EURO96 he got contains the full 3d engine and all 3d completed...

If you know anyone that could be contacted it would be great. Adrian Carless and Kevin Dudley, Ashley Bennett, Jim Tebbut and some few others I have not been able to get in touch with yet...

I got an long article which you can get if you like to. Send PM with your email. ;)

Grappler
27-05-2013, 12:22
Hi Grappler,

Interplay was just publisher of VR Soccer.
Also the Norwegian version "Fotball Feber" released by Add-On and the German version "RAN Soccer" released by GreenWood Entertainment was also just publishers! Gremlin Interactive Ltd programmed and kept everything..

If there should be any chance it would be ATARI, but as all the UK-based offices are closed I doubt it!

Well Richard Stevenson got a back up. I do not know if the source code he got are the end product, and probably not, but the EURO96 he got contains the full 3d engine and all 3d completed...

If you know anyone that could be contacted it would be great. Adrian Carless and Kevin Dudley, Ashley Bennett, Jim Tebbut and som few others I have not been able to get in touch with yet...

The last thing I heard, Ade Carless was living in Canada.

I know all the other companies just published locally.

Richard Stevenson is not in the games industry anymore, but I think I know how to get in touch with him.

I take it your interest in the code is commercial/business?

catpus
27-05-2013, 12:29
That would be Foundation 9 I think.

---------- Post added 27-05-2013 at 12:36 ----------

I don't think that Interplay or Fox Sports Interactive ever had the source to VR Soccer, etc.

If you have contacted all of the people you say, and gotten nowhere, then I think the chances of getting the source code is getting slimmer.

You are right I should have said F9? :+//

ThomasAa
27-05-2013, 12:30
Hi,

No, I am just a big Actua Soccer fan, and I have got the permission from Mr Ian Stewart because I wont do anything else then improve the game and keep the source code to myself.

Richard Stevenson do work as manager/trainer to a team in Sheffield Football club. Both Sie Barlow and Julian "Joolz" Gardner have contacted him after he cut the contact with me.. He has told them both to give me what he got, but nothing has happened... I know Rich also got most source codes to the other game he worked on back in thos days. He had a massive load of backups! Although if he refuses to give out his stuff there is nothing we can do...

Rich and I had contact for three years, but shortly after he finished the search in November 2011 through all backups for me (to find Actua Soccer) he suddenly ignored me! Probably because it was a lot of work (which I do understand) and he lost the interest after the search...

I got an article in hand, which I have finished this month. If you like to get it just PM me your email. ;)

The things I like to add for the game is gather in a document as well, but I wrote that many many years ago. (There are many errors in the language as I was quite young when I did it)

---------- Post added 30-05-2013 at 21:40 ----------

Dear "Grappler",

Your PM is full!

Thanks for your reply in the thread. ;)

I hope you might be able to help me in the search for the source code.

Please contact me ;)

- Thomas -

---------- Post added 05-06-2013 at 23:41 ----------

The last thing I heard, Ade Carless was living in Canada.

I know all the other companies just published locally.

Richard Stevenson is not in the games industry anymore, but I think I know how to get in touch with him.

I take it your interest in the code is commercial/business?

Hi Grappler,

Please contact me regarding contacting Rich.

I will try to visit Sheffield this summer. Sie Barlow will help me out. ;)

Thanks,

- Thomas -

ThomasAa
22-06-2013, 17:43
Now I have seeked information for a very long time!
I think the details would be too complicated and only for special interested.
The codes for ALL Gremlin Interactive games suddenly went lost when Infogrames Studio closed in 2003. It means that all source codes of a historical company in the computer game history are all gone... Only the programmers which kept private copies would have access.

Event Horizo
22-06-2013, 19:12
One of best game companies in the 80s were 'Ultimate Play the Game'.

Anyone remember Sabre Wolf, Attic Attac, Gunfright, Alien 8, knight lore Lunar Jetman, JetPac. Underwurlde. Classics.

Monty on the Run on the C64. I loved that game especially the music. Fandabidosi

woodmally
24-06-2013, 10:15
Monty Mole was from Sheffield? Never knew that, still it explains a lot about the original game plot.

NM

Monty Mole was a real person who they named a character after. Wow never new that. I used to love their games Jack the Nipper, Monty Mole brilliant programmers for thier time. They were up there with the Codemaster Bros.

tzijlstra
24-06-2013, 12:48
I remember Gremlin! Never realised they were from Sheffield, who'd have thought! If I am not mistaken Gremlin published the early Championship Manager games in the Netherlands, in some discount series... I still have the discs somewhere in the attic.

Hallfiry
25-04-2014, 07:48
I found the source code for Euro '96/Actua Soccer, a few days ago. I can post it if someone wants to have it. I think it's not the finished game, but a beta version. It also includes personal phone numbers of the developers...

ThomasAa
25-04-2014, 09:12
Hi,

Please look at my message to you ;)

Magilla
25-04-2014, 14:49
Hey all,

An old thread, but I dunno if the OP ever got a response.

Pete Harrap did a brief stint on iPad apps, I believe he did the old Bitmap Brothers game "Z" for iPad, and now works at Sumo Digital.

Hallfiry
25-04-2014, 18:29
Hi,

Please look at my message to you ;)

I can't send you a PM back, as I need a certan amount of posts to be able to send private messages. I added you on facebook, though. (Hoping that I added the right person.)

Ravenger
26-04-2014, 11:52
My first rejection letter was from Gremlin.

Back in the mid 80's I was getting into computer graphics and did some loading screens to try to get some work from various games companies. (Games took so long to load you needed a pretty screen to look at while loading).

I drew a Monty On The Run loading screen based off the game adverts (this was before release) and sent it off to Gremlin with some of my other artwork asking if they needed any graphics doing.

I got a standard rejection letter back thanking me for sending in my 'game' and saying that it didn't meet their standards. I was disappointed to say the least.

However when the game was released my loading screen was (in my opinion) better than theirs!

Still I got some work with other companies shortly after that, so the effort wasn't wasted - it became part of my portfolio.

jon&emma
15-05-2014, 08:38
Hi it's a little off topic but my son who is 13 (and is autistic/aspergers) is learning coding at school. He has allways been into computers and programing and he is a real wizz with all this stuff. He loves all the old retro consoles and PC'S and he has quite alot of them. We feel that he needs someone or some sort of club to take him under there wing for him to reach his full potential as we are not that technology savvy. He want's to go into this for a living and us as parent's dont know what path he should take. So advice would be gladly appreciated. Thanks

Waldo
15-05-2014, 19:41
Pete Harrap did a brief stint on iPad apps, I believe he did the old Bitmap Brothers game "Z" for iPad, and now works at Sumo Digital.

That may have been in conjunction with ex-Krysalis boss, Tony Kavanagh I think. I thought TickTock games did the port of Z to iPad though?

Also, there was a Gremlin re-union at the walkabout on Carver street, last year after the games expo thing at Magna in Rotherham. Am sure Peter was there, along with loads of other old game dev types.

Also, pet gripe, it's source code, not source codes!! :)

habanero
16-05-2014, 08:02
Hi it's a little off topic but my son who is 13 (and is autistic/aspergers) is learning coding at school. He has allways been into computers and programing and he is a real wizz with all this stuff. He loves all the old retro consoles and PC'S and he has quite alot of them. We feel that he needs someone or some sort of club to take him under there wing for him to reach his full potential as we are not that technology savvy. He want's to go into this for a living and us as parent's dont know what path he should take. So advice would be gladly appreciated. Thanks

He might find some of the Games Britannia events in June of interest. It's a family-friendly gaming festival in Sheffield with an educational/vocational element. There'll be plenty of people from local games companies on hand who I'm sure would be able to offer some useful advice.

jon&emma
16-05-2014, 08:08
This looks brilliant http://gamesbritannia.com/live/index.html#
He will be like a kid in a candy shop.
Thanks for that habanero

BoyFromSmoke
16-05-2014, 08:52
I used to know a lad called Chris Kerry who was with Gremlin from the start. I believe that he invented and programmed quite a few games for them but his most recognisable one by far must be Dig Dug....

toco
07-10-2014, 11:50
Can somebody get me in contact with illustrator Alan Batson?

I am doing research for the vintage Gremlin Interactive game "HeroQuest II". Since there are some former employees of Gremlin in this (very old) thread, I might just ask my question here. Alan Batson is in the credits of the computer game Legacy of Sorasil as the cover artist. I wish to interview him if possible.

melthebell
07-10-2014, 12:07
I remember Gremlin! Never realised they were from Sheffield, who'd have thought! If I am not mistaken Gremlin published the early Championship Manager games in the Netherlands, in some discount series... I still have the discs somewhere in the attic.
yeah carver street, just off division street