EBay: someone from Germany bought my item (UK only auction)

Subject line says it all.

Recently sold an item (nothing has been payed yet), to some chap in Germany. He has good feedback; but my item was listed as UK only, and I only had shipping options for the UK.

I don't want to ship overseas; what should I do, I've contacted the buyer to explain the situation, if he wants it shipped to UK, all well and good (doubt this would work for him), otherwise, I'd like to cancel the sale and re-list the item.

Is that possible?

Should not be a problem, but why do you have an issue with sending it abroad?

Usually you get the option of selling to the next highest bidder, if you'd prefer that to re-listing.

I've had this problem in reverse. My OH has wanted to purchase things for me....he is in the UK and I am in the US. He shops the US eBay site and they don't like to sell to him because they don't realize he wants it shipped to a US address.

Did the buyer provide a shipping address yet?

I've had the same situation.

Your buyer won't pay until they've had an invoice with the correct postage for Germany.

All you need to do is find out:

-the total weight of your parcel (must not exceed 2 kg)

-the longest side: it must not measure more than 2 foot or 60 cm in any direction

-the total size (the length plus the width plus the height must equal less than 3 foot or 90 cm)

If all is okay, you will be able to post it abroad via Royal Mail! If not, it has to be posted via parcelforce which will be much more costly & you're better off asking at the post office for advice.

To find out the cost on-line, go to Royal Mail's price finder page & fill out your details for Germany. You then know how much postage is. Add your packing costs & then you can add the total to the invoice & send it off to the German. Once paid, just take it to the post office as normal.

Alternatively, wrap up the parcel, take it to the post office & find out how much for Germany (air mail - it's nearly the same price as surface mail). Then you can put the value into the ebay invoice & send it. Once payment received, go back to the post office to post it.

Instead of using the RM price finder, eBay do have their own mail price finder, but doesn't seem to mention the size issue:

http://postageestimator.ebaydevelopment.co.uk/

I use this site a lot to establish postage costs when listing items or when I receive a question from potential (foreign) customers whilst a listing is active.

Next time you list something, include a comment along the lines of 'UK bidders only, please, as this item is too expensive to post abroad'. Or, if you're trying to avoid a trip to the post office, buy a range of stamps so that you can post your item at your nearest letter box once you've worked out the correct postage cost!

Good luck!

I've had this problem in reverse. My OH has wanted to purchase things for me....he is in the UK and I am in the US. He shops the US eBay site and they don't like to sell to him because they don't realize he wants it shipped to a US address.

Did the buyer provide a shipping address yet?

Your OH should have 2 accounts - one for each country!!

Your OH should have 2 accounts - one for each country!!

I feel so very blonde for not thinking of that myself. Thank you. :D

Also, I've often had packages go missing when sent overseas; esp. to Italy (Germany is not so bad). I think that's my main fear; German postal service loses parcel etc..

I seem to post abroad a lot...Sending to Europe isn't that much more expensive, plus it can still be tracked.

Some bloke in Germany bought an old Betamax video recorder off me (a rare multiformat one granted)...won it for £120 and then gave me £50 to get it couriered to him.

Only cost £35 in the end, but he wouldn't let me refund the difference..What a nice chap!

Ebay are good with things like this and will allow you to sell to the second highest bidder or claim a refund on the listing and final value fees.

You could ask the buyer to give a UK address of a friend of relative.

Also, I've often had packages go missing when sent overseas; esp. to Italy (Germany is not so bad). I think that's my main fear; German postal service loses parcel etc..

Which is why you should suggest your buyer pays for tracked, insured postage.