View Full Version : Very dry, red, sore skin around the eyes

Moonbird
19-11-2010, 13:44
I have recently developed very dry itchy and sore and red skin around my eyes, the skin under my eye brows are sooo sore swollen and wrinkled, underneath is red and has gone really wrinkled...my eyes look terrible and I feel both embarrassed and uncomfortable all of the time :(

I tried Vaseline around my eyes but that didn't help, then I tried Aqueous cream, which helped a bit, now I have been using Diprobase cream which was prescribed for a small area of eczema on my back, every thing really stings, and even worse all of my face seems to be going really dry as well.
Could this be eczema? if so what could be causing this? I have stopped using soap or anything now other than water and cream on my face and eyes but they are still more or less the same...I am desperate, please help :(

summa
19-11-2010, 13:50
This sounds very much like eczema, my youngest soon has suffered with it since birth and while it is under control, this past week with the cold weather his face has flared up similar to what you are describing.
It sounds like you could do with a small course of steriod cream, I only use this as a last resort as he is only 2, but it is really good and clears it up within a few days.
It's also better to get it sorted quiclky as sometimes the sore skin can crack and bleed (sorry i'm not trying to scare you!) and that is very uncomfotable.
Good luck x

Liia
19-11-2010, 15:32
I had exactly this a few months ago. I've always had sensitive skin but nothing like the swollen,red and itchy eyes I got.
I changed my washing powder to fairy and stopped using fabric conditioner and it has got a lot better. Sometimes they change what they put in so you may react to something you never had before. I always used Ariel until they put "actilift" in.
Don't use steroids on your face if you can possibly avoid it, the problem tends to come back as soon as you stop using it and it's not good for long term use.
Also, antihistamines might help calm things down
I also use a dry eye gel from here and it's really helped me:
http://www.skinshop.co.uk/
and eucerin cream as a moisturiser.
You might find using just baby products (shampoo etc) for a while will calm things down too. You can then start re-introducing your normal products and see if you react to anything.
Other than that it might be a food allergy so you could try keeping a food diary.
Hoep some of that is useful to you!

Moonbird
21-11-2010, 09:55
Thank you very much for answering Summa and Liia, I can well believe the skin will crack because mine is so sore and flaking now, it also seems to be spreading around my face, I am apply loads and loads of Diprobase at the moment several times a day to avoid it worsening.
I have noticed that heating makes it worse, and after a shower yesterday it really flared up badly so I will definitely try the baby shampoo and just hope that my dry hair can cope with it...oh dear.
After it got so bad yesterday (my eye lids were so swollen it looked like my eyes were half shut) I am going to go back to the Dr tomorrow and push for them to get a proper diagnosis of what it is.
I will definitely try the eye cream Liia because I am sure that Diprobase can't be good on the skin around the eyes.
Thanks again and any further comments would be much appreciated :)

Evei
21-11-2010, 16:28
I was having a conversation about this a few weeks ago as a few people at work have had this over the last two years. It looks very sore and when they have gone to the doctors they have said it is eczema. Both used very mild Cortisone creams to sort it, although they should not be used on the face/ eyelids, for a short amount of time they have been told it is ok and I've have had it prescribed when I got eczema around my mouth and on my upper eye lid.

It happens me when I get stressed and tired and it's my bodies way of telling me to slow down and look after myself. The eczema around my mouth can be due to certain brands of lip gloss.

gina2007
24-11-2010, 22:11
I was having a conversation about this a few weeks ago as a few people at work have had this over the last two years. It looks very sore and when they have gone to the doctors they have said it is eczema. Both used very mild Cortisone creams to sort it, although they should not be used on the face/ eyelids, for a short amount of time they have been told it is ok and I've have had it prescribed when I got eczema around my mouth and on my upper eye lid.

It happens me when I get stressed and tired and it's my bodies way of telling me to slow down and look after myself. The eczema around my mouth can be due to certain brands of lip gloss.

Moonbird - take what ive highlighted ;) Take care of yourself woman!xxx

Moonbird
27-11-2010, 20:12
Moonbird - take what ive highlighted ;) Take care of yourself woman!xxx

I know Gina but what can you do? :(

It has all taken a rather unpleasant twist and Thursday night my eye swelled up to about 3 times the size, Friday morning it was half shut and so sore I look like I have a black eye.
I rang the Dr (as normal couldn't get in) and he has given me antibiotics God knows what's going on :( I am having blood tests done on Tuesday to try to get to the bottom of things.

maxyross
19-01-2011, 18:22
If you have Eczema, go and see Amy at Pure Enough on Banner Cross (opposite Huntingtower Road). She has products which other users have had great success with.

medusa
19-01-2011, 19:09
Maxyross- all 4 of your posts have been promoting the same person, which counts as spam.

Please stop dredging up old threads to post spam on and you may get to keep your account long enough to post other things too.