Caravanners - what winter prep/checks do you carry out?

As were coming into winter the caravan is now in storage, cover on, hot water tank empty,filter removed.

What else do you guys usually do for the winter storage?

I'm thinking of removing wheels and hubs, so the tyres dont crack and I can service my hubs?

I'm thinking of making some winter wheels, ( the metal brackets that replace your wheels) could make you a pair for £25?

Definately remove the wheels for winter.

Remember to open all the taps to allow the water tank to fully drain.

Lower the shower head (if fitted) so as to remove water from the shower pipe.

Don't forget to drain the toilet flush.

There's a useful article here about winter storage.

Edited by Allen

Think I will pop up at the end of the week and remove my wheels then, I think I will pop them on some axle stands, but thanks for the offer.

Is it bad that I don't do anything? :blush:

That said, we do use it during the winter anyway. We don't let a bit of snow get in our way.

Is it bad that I don't do anything? :blush:

That said, we do use it during the winter anyway. We don't let a bit of snow get in our way.

I would reccomend draining your water at a very minimum, as once it freezes and swell it can split things.

I cover ours due to the fact that I spent so much time getting rid of damp, I dont want it back if I missed resealing a rail etc.

I would reccomend draining your water at a very minimum, as once it freezes and swell it can split things.

I cover ours due to the fact that I spent so much time getting rid of damp, I dont want it back if I missed resealing a rail etc.

I've heard about this sealing thing. I think maybe I should get someone in to do mine.

I did consider at one point using a cover but was told a story that put me off whereby someone who was using one pulled back the cover and found everything inside the van was covered in a green mould. :gag:

Draining the water? I realise I might sound a bit dim, but what do you mean?

I've heard about this sealing thing. I think maybe I should get someone in to do mine.

I did consider at one point using a cover but was told a story that put me off whereby someone who was using one pulled back the cover and found everything inside the van was covered in a green mould. :gag:

Draining the water? I realise I might sound a bit dim, but what do you mean?

resealing your rails isnt a hard job you just need plenty of elbow grease some white spirit, a tube of sikaflex 512, a roll of mastic and some stainless screws, if you have somebody in be prepared to pay a lot of money

drain the water out of your system and pipes leave the taps open,

also if you have a hot water tank this needs draining there will be a drain valve somewhere just running the hot tap does not drain your tank fully, as if you leave the water in and it freezes up things will swell and cause your van untold damage and wont do your wallet much good either

a good tip i was told was to put a bowl with salt,or absorbant crystals this soaks the damp up..and takes away any bad smells.iv tried it and it works fine

and leave the fridge door open so it can dry out..kills mildew and remove any type of food..tea bags ect..attracts mice-mould..remove gas bottles..and wd40 conectors that plug into car for towing..and lube up cables...i have a motor home.so i do simular things when it goes into storage...i also take bedding out......

they have salt trays especially for damp in wilkinsons at the mo, also at this time of year before you lock down for the winter, a little antifreeze down the loo/sink between visits