View Full Version : Does anyone here know the difference between a swede and a turnip?

Ellybum
13-10-2005, 14:35
The reason I ask is, as a southerner, I was always lead to believe a swede was the larger of the two - being brownish/mauve in colour and a turnip was the smaller and white with a green top. I still firmly believe that but my northern work colleagues think its the other way round. Im beginning to doubt myself - BUT I'M SURE IM RIGHT!!!! :help:

Johnh
13-10-2005, 14:36
Swede is larger than a turnip.

Johnh
13-10-2005, 14:37
Originally posted by Johnh
Swede is larger than a turnip.
Common misconception around Sheffield area, My mother always used to call a swede a turnip. Just a local thing I guess!

willman
13-10-2005, 14:38
Originally posted by Ellybum
The reason I ask is, as a southerner, I was always lead to believe a swede was the larger of the two - being brownish/mauve in colour and a turnip was the smaller and white with a green top. I still firmly believe that but my northern work colleagues think its the other way round. Im beginning to doubt myself - BUT I'M SURE IM RIGHT!!!! :help:

spot on white turnips the other stuff that is more common in "stew packs" @ Morri's is swede.
oh! and pork is red meat not white in case the mother in law is reading this post.

dawny1
13-10-2005, 14:38
They also taste different. I don't like turnip but I like swede with carrot mash.

Preacher Man
13-10-2005, 14:39
one is in charge of England, the other is a vegetable.

hang on did i get that the right way?

Johnh
13-10-2005, 14:40
Originally posted by liamfh

Top stuff, he he!!! liam!

matsalleh
13-10-2005, 14:43

Is that the country or football team ?

Ellybum
13-10-2005, 14:44

Haha! That was so funny - and extremely witty!

Thanks for all the responses so far - I KNEW I WAS RIGHT!! :thumbsup:

JoeP
13-10-2005, 14:58
Actually...haven't both of them at some time been in charge of England?

So...there is no difference? ;)

Teresa
13-10-2005, 18:16
Common misconception around Sheffield area, My mother always used to call a swede a turnip. Just a local thing I guess!

It changes depending which area of the country you're in. I'm a southerner and as far as I'm concerned the swede is the purple one, but people in Scotland, the North and Cornwall believe the opposite.

saxon51
13-10-2005, 18:19
Originally posted by JoeP
Actually...haven't both of them at some time been in charge of England?

So...there is no difference? ;)

Correction:

One is in charge of England, and the other in charge of Wednesday.

Ally68
13-10-2005, 18:26
Swede (http://www.gardenaction.co.uk/IMAGES/swede_brora_2.jpg)

Turnip (http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.wokme.com/images/ingredients/turnip.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.wokme.com/ingredients/turnip.htm&h=186&w=250&sz=4&tbnid=1qu_whh0m9UJ:&tbnh=78&tbnw=106&hl=en&start=73&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dturnip%26start%3D60%26svnum%3D10%26hl %3Den%26lr%3D%26sa%3DN)

Grissom
13-10-2005, 18:50
The best way to work out which is which is by the number of chromosomes as described here :

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/plantanswers/publications/vegetabletravelers/turnip.html

Bring me your veg and I'll have someone in my lab analyse it for you if you wanna know if you have a turnip or a rutabaga :P

There is also a history of the veg on that page :thumbsup:

EDIT : a swede = a turnip + a cabbage; natural GM food ? go figure :P

Berberis
13-10-2005, 22:35
Somehow i read "...the difference between swade and a turnip"

Can you tell ive been drinking :D

Hels
14-10-2005, 01:02
My lovely parents used to get us a 'swede' for halloween rather than a pumpkin - like they thought we couldn't tell the difference :confused:

Have you ever tried hollowing out a swede? :mad:

Strix
14-10-2005, 01:57
Pumpkins didn't used to be available in this country - well not where I lived as a kid

Another americanisation :roll:

Ann*
14-10-2005, 05:59
Common misconception around Sheffield area, My mother always used to call a swede a turnip. Just a local thing I guess! When I lived in Cornwall as a child, my mother always called a swede a turnip....it wasn't until I moved back to Kent to live with my dad that I knew there were two different vegetables.

Never liked turnip!

Swede mashed with butter and pepper, and then baked in the oven.....mmmmmmmmmmmmm......heaven 8)

the_rudeboy
14-10-2005, 07:36
Swede is a rough type of leather and tunips catch dust on the bottom of old mens trousers. :D

ccmybonny
24-04-2007, 21:32
swedes are commonly reffered to in Scotland as "neep".

poppins
24-04-2007, 21:36
I didn't think there was a difference...has anyone ever seen a square watermelon ?

Pooch_1
24-04-2007, 23:13
:hihi: A Swede is a person from Sweden, and a turnip is a vegetable. :hihi:

artisan
24-04-2007, 23:35
As remarked on before probably, Erriksson and Taylor. :)
As compared to mutton and turnip, Burton and Taylor.:(

No that does not make sense and is not remotely funny.

hagardriley
25-04-2007, 01:38

Why bother!!!!!!!!!
They are both as disgusting as the other and I would personally rather chew on a tramps undercrackers than put this kind of filth in my mouth. :gag:

Glennis
25-04-2007, 08:30
Swede, orange colour when cooked ... turnip .. white.