View Full Version : Is there a possible way to prevent spiders from coming in your house?

missperilli
13-10-2005, 08:44
Eek i hate spiders... im sure we have an infestation! Iv heard leaving conkers around the house is s'possed to put off the little mites... any ideas would be appreciated!:)

LordChaverly
13-10-2005, 08:57
There is no way to keep spiders out of your house. Moreover, a spiderless house would not be a healthy house, because spiders eat insects which are potentially harmful to you. All British spiders are completely harmless to humans. They don't sting, smell or buzz around your ears. They are not interested in your food (instead they eat things that are). They have far more reason to be afraid of you rather than vice versa. The spiders you see scurrying about are normally male spiders looking for a mate.

missperilli
13-10-2005, 09:01
hmmmm i have to admit i spose your right. Im just a typical girly girly me thinks!

LellyBee
13-10-2005, 09:06
My Grandma used to say that if you had spiders it was a sign of a clean house, as the spiders eat dust :confused:
Is this true??

LordChaverly
13-10-2005, 09:08
Originally posted by LellyBee
My Grandma used to say that if you had spiders it was a sign of a clean house, as the spiders eat dust :confused:
Is this true??

No. They are carnivores - they eat insects.

LellyBee
13-10-2005, 09:13
Shucks :( guess that means I got to get the duster and polish out ;)

valentine
13-10-2005, 10:14
So is there anything we can do about these spider :gag: infestations.

We are getting them almost every night and I am turnng into a nervous wreak :loopy:

missperilli
13-10-2005, 10:37
its defo worst this time of year, the big black ones lurking in the bath:gag:
oh and how many is it were sposed to eat in our sleep.....

chickin
13-10-2005, 11:06
We've got two spiders webs at the top of the back door, each covering the top corners of the door. We try not to destroy the webs, as we haven't had a single fly in the house since these appears. . it's like having an insect filter. .

Spiders rule. .

Zebra
13-10-2005, 11:07
We've got a terrible spider problem in our house, big huge grotty brown ones which my partner tells em are house spiders. (Where did they live when we didn't have houses?)
Our spiders are racing spiders and they gallop across the floor at a vast rate of knots. I think I've killed the Olympic candidates for this year though.
The genius who fitted the laminate floor in our kitchen left all the edges with big gaps, obviously thinking all the appliances would cover the mess, that's where our sprinters come from.
I'm planning on getting my partner sticking parcel tape round the edges which wil seal it off.
The main thing I've tried is sealing gaps in walls and skirting where safe/appropriate and I once read that burning clove oil in a scent burner helps. In fact I'm sure I got that off here.
http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=56485&highlight=spiders
Look for any major gaps outside too, like around the drainpipes etc and when you leave windows open, especially at night there's normally more.

LellyBee
13-10-2005, 17:08
Funnily enough, I've rec'd a Betterware catalogue this morning and they're selling a spray that's supposed to stop spiders from getting into your house :)

LordChaverly
13-10-2005, 17:20
Funnily enough, I've rec'd a Betterware catalogue this morning and they're selling a spray that's supposed to stop spiders from getting into your house :)

It sounds like a waste of money - there are so many possible ways spiders can enter houses that you would probably have to spray the whole house from top to bottom, and also do it regularly. I think a better and cheaper way of dealing with your spider issue would be to convince yourself that British spiders are harmless (which they are).

steev
13-10-2005, 17:23
Or buy a bigger spider which lives on small spiders? :D

saxon51
13-10-2005, 17:25
Get a pet tiger. It's true!!!

We HAVEN'T got a pet tiger, and our house is crawling with spiders. :thumbsup:

LellyBee
13-10-2005, 17:33
I've just read the ingredient list for the spider spray and it lists extract of chestnut oil as one of it's main ingredients, so maybe there is something to placing chestnuts around your house malarkey ;)

michael_v2
13-10-2005, 17:35
i caught a spider yeserday. it measured about 6cm. Had a really fat body, and i'm sure it was wearing some kind of armour plating. It was massive. Not that i was scared or anything. :thumbsup:

LordChaverly
13-10-2005, 17:36
I've just read the ingredient list for the spider spray and it lists extract of chestnut oil as one of it's main ingredients, so maybe there is something to placing chestnuts around your house malarkey ;)

You could make some decent conkers out of the chestnuts and go round the house bashing any spider you see. But even so, I would be surprised if you got them all.

saxon51
13-10-2005, 17:39
Originally posted by LordChaverly
You could make some decent conkers out of the chestnuts and go round the house bashing any spider you see. But even so, I would be surprised if you got them all.

LellyBee 'conquers' her spider infestation..........one at a time.

"Mine's a 347er!!"

LellyBee
13-10-2005, 17:42
LOL @ Saxon :)
Well I'm a member of the heartless spider killing brigade.
If I see any of the blighters I find a quick slap with my slipper works wonders ;)

BrainThrust
13-10-2005, 17:49
How to stop spiders coming in your house?

Remove any female spider related imagery

enforce a "you'll go to hell" policy

stop buying toilet roll.

:hihi:

Wilf

cloudybay
13-10-2005, 17:55
Only one sure way to stop Spiders getting into your house..................MOVE !!:clap: :clap:

saxon51
13-10-2005, 17:58
Originally posted by BrainThrust
How to stop spiders coming in your house?

A. Remove any female spider related imagery

B. enforce a "you'll go to hell" policy

C. stop buying toilet roll.

:hihi:

Wilf

A. Get rid of my Kate Moss poster?:(

B. Already have one and it hasn't worked on the kids.;)

C. ..and go back to using the Daily Star.:o

BrainThrust
13-10-2005, 18:04
Originally posted by saxon51
A. Get rid of my Kate Moss poster?:(

B. Already have one and it hasn't worked on the kids.;)

C. ..and go back to using the Daily Star.:o

Grr those spiders of today, no self respect.

No wonder there is a moral decline, them spiders having baby spiders younger and younger. You see the one with the pram? You can guess they're not fathered by the same dad.

Oh, what fun

Wilf

saxon51
13-10-2005, 18:13
And the ones knocking around in £320 worth of Reebok Classics are the worst. Christ, my kids can't even afford ONE pair.

Have you seen the state of their homes as well. Dead flies everywhere!

A kick up the 'spinneret' would soon sort them out. :rant:

robbie
13-10-2005, 18:45
my mother, in her infinite wisdom (and senility!:o ) takes spider out of her house and talks to them telling them off and not to come back.

I have no proof if it works or not but I think she scares the neighbours!

NUCAD
13-10-2005, 18:57
There are electronic plug in devices available which are supposed to work.

However we bought one as we dont like our cats killing the spiders (slowly probably)!!!! Its supposed to put some kind of stay away pulses onto the mains cabling for the sockets thats non-harmfull to anything (especially our cats).

Im not saying it doesnt work but i do still find flat spiders that have no doubt been padded to death by our cats.
Having 7 cats means though we very rarely see one running across the floor. :hihi:

I must say though that there does seem to be less wildlife in our house since it was plugged in.
:thumbsup:

Sidla
13-10-2005, 20:43
Originally posted by NUCAD
There are electronic plug in devices available which are supposed to work.

However we bought one as we dont like our cats killing the spiders (slowly probably)!!!! Its supposed to put some kind of stay away pulses onto the mains cabling for the sockets thats non-harmfull to anything (especially our cats).

Im not saying it doesnt work but i do still find flat spiders that have no doubt been padded to death by our cats.
Having 7 cats means though we very rarely see one running across the floor. :hihi:

I must say though that there does seem to be less wildlife in our house since it was plugged in.
I could do with one of these, where did you get it?

NUCAD
13-10-2005, 21:01
One of the suppliers to my partners business stocks them.
Although we didnt want them to stock we got one of them for ourselves.

I think it was about £35 though :o

You can buy cheaper ones but they could not verify that they were cat friendly.

Having 7 moggies meant that was not an option as it would have drove them mad in the house.

He probably still has them if you want me to enquire when he comes to deliver on Friday Afternoon let me know.

Sidla
13-10-2005, 21:06
£35 is a bit pricey, although we don't have cats so might be able to plump for one of the cheaper ones, although we do have a dog.

NUCAD
13-10-2005, 21:13
Same rules apply :thumbsup:

The frequency of these kinds of devices is above our hearing range but could affect domestic pets including guinea pigs, rats and rodents, cats, dogs etc.

Can you imagine a loud irritating humm in the house all day ??

You may well hit it lucky and find a cheaper one but the dog is going to be hard put telling you your hurting their ears.

You could test it i guess by plugging it in nearish (not too close) to the pet and see if there is ANY kind of reaction if there is i would not use the device.

The problem is to test it you have got to buy it ????.

Sidla
13-10-2005, 21:18
Just this moment had one of the beasts on the wall as I was sitting here, had to get my dad to come up and get rid of the thing. Had the usual "full grown man scared of a little spider" muttering. I wish some people would try to understand that it is a genuine phobia.

the_rudeboy
13-10-2005, 21:21
They struggle a bit with Yale locks so get them fitted. :thumbsup:

TrashyBook
13-10-2005, 23:19
Originally posted by Sidla
I wish some people would try to understand that it is a genuine phobia.

I am completely, stupidly phobic about spiders, to the point where I live in fear of getting one in the car as I'm sure I'd crash in my haste to escape it.

I even had to get my dad to drive over to my house at 7am a couple of weeks ago to wrestle with one for me as it tried to escape from my bedroom light fitting......

I can sometimes get rid of them myself with the vacuum cleaner - but I have to have the pipe at full stretch and leave it running for about 10 minutes to make sure it's well and truly sucked up the spout.

It's quite embarrassing sometimes, but it is a genuine phobia, which is why it's really annoying that people think it's funny to chase you with spiders, or make jokes about it. They wouldn't shut a claustrophobic in a cupboard, so have some sympathy please!

banesmabes
24-10-2005, 12:03
Urgh Ė I hate them! I didnít have too many in my old flat, but since Iíve moved to my new place I have had loads Ė and theyíre all HUGE! I now have the courage to stamp on them, but this has taken me some time. I cannot stand the thought of them getting away and pouncing up on me at any moment. I too leave the hoover on for about 10 minutes after sucking one up, just in case itís lurking in the pipe somewhere! The only time I ever hate living alone is when there is a spider and I donít have anyone to catch it!

Anyway, a few questions:

- Can spiders crawl back out of the hoover? Usually I stamp first and then hoover, but occassionally I suck them up live (if theyíre on the curtain for instance and I canít squash it). I hoovered one up live a couple of weeks ago and I swear the same one came crawling out from the same place on Saturday! (Now deceased though!)
- Are spiders nocturnal? I only seem to get them scurrying about at night.
- Is it true that spiders donít like living in damp houses? My dad has always said that a lot of spiders means you have a nice dry house. My last flat did have a damp problem, especially in the bedroom, and I hardly had any spiders there, and none in the bedroom ever.
- This sounds really daft, but if you kill every spider you see in your house, will it get to a point where youíll hardly ever have them anymore? Or do more just keep moving in in their place?

Am definately going for filling/blocking all gaps around the house. I am starting to decorate and have noticed just how many gaps and holes there are around Ė lots of nice dark hiding places for them. Plus thereís no carpet downstairs, which I am sure doesnít help, because they can get under the floor boards!!

rich951
24-10-2005, 13:15
Just get lots of cats - I think I've seen two spiders in the last year, and one was being chased across the room by one of the cats :) The other was rather large and would probably have eaten the cats if I hadn't caught it and thrown it out into the garden :)

Yodameister
24-10-2005, 14:08
I got woken up by one crawling across my head this morning!

It was only a little one though.

I really hate them but it didn't really bother me too much. I've had to deal with loads since I've lived on my own and I'm getting over it. If you are scared of something you go out of your way to avoid it and it makes you fear it even more, is a self perpetuating thing.

I suspect most people who are scared of spiders could sort their fear out themselves by just pulling themselves together and facing up to it. (I know its not that easy, because I am still scared of them)

I can't figure out why it is they worry me, I'm not worried by any other sort of creepy-crawlies at all, crane-flies, lizards, slugs, centipedes, you name it don't worry me in the slightest.

deano2320
24-10-2005, 17:23
my grans house has a spider problem too and its creepy cos i hav arachnaphobia (if thats how its spelt) :nod: :nod: :(

Tigs
24-10-2005, 17:35
Borrow a cat :D Spiders never last long in our house!