Is Sasparilla or Sarsaparilla still brewed or sold in Sheffield?

Does anybody know if Sasparilla or Sarsaparilla is still brewed or sold in Sheffield?

My Dad loves Sasparilla!

I think they may sell it in the health food shops, or you could try homebrew places and get a kit to make your own :)

Is it the same thing as American Root Beer ? I've seen this on sale in a couple of supermarkets.

At one time practically every district in Sheffield had a herblist shop selling draught and bottled sasparilla, - don't know of any now.

They used to sell herb tobacco too, for kids to make roll-ups with :D

Originally posted by zeke

Does anybody know if Sasparilla or Sarsaparilla is still brewed or sold in Sheffield?

I can remember years ago when I was a kid,shops advertising it outside their shops.I never tasted it, what does it taste like.Isnt sarsparilla a root ?I can imagine it to taste like Coca Cola,but maybe someone can put me right.

From what I can remember, it tastes like strong or full bodied Dandelion & Burdock. I was only young at the time, it was from a drink shop in Attercliffe.

According to Mawson's who make their cordial in Bacup, they have a stockist:

Herbafayre

75 High Street

Sheffield S1 2BZ

Their main herbal ingredients are:

the root bark of the Sarsaparilla plant Smilax aristolochiaefolia

the rhizome of Ginger Zingiber officinalis

the root of Liquorice Glycyrrhiza glabra

Does anyone know how to brew this stuff? We could rake it in off the back of this thread!

All rights reserved

Oh wow - memories.

Can anyone remember 'Jack's Temperance Bar' on Langsett Road? He had a red neon 'Durex' sign in the window...heh.

The painted sign over the shop advertised Sarsaparilla. I never had any - just knew it was a drink of some kind?

there use to be a sasparilla shop at the top of abbeydale road near to the old picture house what is now the snooker hall if it is still there, I use to always go in there from coming out of heeley baths on a saturday afternoon and it would be a pint of the stuff not a ladies drink the wee half as thats what some women drank. I wish it was still there thats where I would be all the time drinking that stuff. oh happy times bring them back thats what I say.

When I was a kid we used to buy sarsparilla from the herbalist's on Attercliffe Common, he brewed it himself. It tasted something like licorice and we loved it. Here in Aussie we can buy sarsparilla cordial but it doesn't taste as good. I wonder if it was made from licorice root.:idea:

You know what you have reminded me of?

When McDonalds did own brand soft drinks, and they did root beer. It tasted just like dentists mouthwash!

Originally posted by bigkev

there use to be a sasparilla shop at the top of abbeydale road near to the old picture house what is now the snooker hall if it is still there, I use to always go in there from coming out of heeley baths on a saturday afternoon and it would be a pint of the stuff not a ladies drink the wee half as thats what some women drank. I wish it was still there thats where I would be all the time drinking that stuff. oh happy times bring them back thats what I say.

It was called 'POP'S'

Cynthia, Ontario, Canada.