Using road cones to reserve a parking space outside your house.

What are the legalities of this.

Earlier on this week further down the street from us appeared half a dozen yellow cones with no waiting signs on. They are only there in the day time and whoever lives in the houses down there takes them out of road when they get back home so that they have got a parking space outside their house. I guess this is to save them the walk of parking slightly further up, which then means the parking is effectively reduced and people just have to park wherever they can regardless of whether it is opposite end of the street they live at. I find this really selfish, they could be stopping someone who has got a passenger with restricted mobility parking nearer to where they need to be.

I am so tempted to go and remove the cones the next time they leave them there lol.:)

The cones are not yours to remove.

If you think there is a problem with obstruction to a public highway, then contact the council's highways department to deal with the issue.

I lived next door to someone who used to put a cone out but it was in London! I removed it so I could park and it ended up with the police being called. He left his sunroof open some time after and I squirted a mix of milk, soy sauce and prawn puree into his honda civic.

I have done this twice... once when I was getting married and the car needed to stop outside my house, and when I moved and the removal van had to stop outside my house... If he is doing this every day I would have a word as he seems to be taking liberties

Loubbe it has been every day for the last week, there are that many cones that I think it is a few households at the bottom of the street not just one.

If you think there is a problem with obstruction to a public highway, then contact the council's highways department to deal with the issue.

The cones are not theirs to put their in the first place, it looks like they belong to a company called H20 as they have H2O on them and it looks like the households at the bottom of the street have permanently borrowed them from them, as there is no work going on on the street and as soon as the car owners get in the cones are moved.

Could belong to H20 bathroom solutions on Chesterfield Rd. They might be cones they have for when they are delivering/installing bathrooms.

Maybe your neighbour works there and has borrowed them!

Oooh cheeky! Can you ring this H20, and report some cones that belong to them seem to have been misplaced by them? Hopefully they will pick them up, as I bet they're not cheap. Then, if the neighbours ask, you can say a man in a van came and collected them, pefectly truthfully.

Oooh cheeky! Can you ring this H20, and report some cones that belong to them seem to have been misplaced by them? Hopefully they will pick them up, as I bet they're not cheap. Then, if the neighbours ask, you can say a man in a van came and collected them, pefectly truthfully.

This is an excellent idea :thumbsup: because as I understand it, a company has to apply to the council for permission to put down cones for any building work etc. and has to specify the start and end dates.

If these cones do belong to the company in question and they have not applied for permission they could be fined.

If they deny knowledge of them, then make sure you mention that in that case you will report the cones to the council - I bet they soon disappear!

H20 also do roadworks as I have seen them about in different parts of sheffield before with the road up.

I presumed that is where they were from. Hadnt heard of the bathroom solutions place.

If I can find a number for H2O, it might be worth giving them a ring, good suggestion loubee.

Road cones dont mean a thing unless the police have put them there.

Just move them and park where you want.

Obviously if it is the local six foot six rudeboys who have put them there you may have to be cute at talking.

But otherwise they mean nowt.

As wise to check though, the bloke might have a skip being delivered or whatever.

On the other hand, the cones appear to be abandoned in the highway. Move them to the curb and no one can complain about it.