Neighbour dispute over parking. Please help !

Dear All.

I was after some advice on a parking matter, so here goes.

We live on an un-adopted private road. The street is very narrow with parking only available on one side (my side of the street) A few neighbors insist on parking directly in front of my house, which is very discourteous and causes issues.. They also invariably park across our access gate, so we have to squeeze past with shopping etc. Polite requests to stop has resulted in one neighbour becoming very defensive stating he has a right to park wherever he chooses (apparently he has had many a dispute in the street with other residents, so he has form for parking without concern for others) As the street is un-adopted by the local authority we checked our deeds and our boundary extends from the front of our house into the middle of the road. Therefore I assume when a vehicle is parked on said part of the road it is in fact our property they are parked on, and trespassing. Can anyone confirm if this is correct or not? if so what actions would you recommend (we thought about those lockable parking bollards) Or a strong letter from a solicitor perhaps. (I am awaiting a response from a solicitor) Thanks in advance

If he is parking on your land you have a case. You could buy a clamp and clamp him. If he gets shirty, immediately call the police. You may need to put up a small sign to cover your back legally. Charge him a £10 unclamping fee or more if you like.

You may also need to forewarn him of your intentions. A nice A4 notice printed on normal paper but glued to his windscreen with flour and water glue (causes no damage) would also annoy the hell out of him.

it never ceases to amaze me that people can be so inconsiderate to others. You have my sympathy. Not sure how you would be fixed legally to clamp him, tho' I love the idea!. I am incandesant with rage when I see able bodied people using car park places intended for disabled. so I can imagine how you feel. Good luck!!!

You could just find a friendly tow truck and get them to remove the car for you. Its on your property and more importantly its blocking access, which gives you even more of a reason to be less then pleasant to this guy.

He can take you to court if he wants, but no judge will do anything if you stick to the law and do not cause any damage to the vehicle.

Dear All.

We live on an un-adopted private road. The street is very narrow with parking only available on one side (my side of the street) A few neighbors insist on parking directly in front of my house, which is very discourteous and causes issues.. They also invariably park across our access gate, so we have to squeeze past with shopping etc. Polite requests to stop has resulted in one neighbour becoming very defensive stating he has a right to park wherever he chooses (apparently he has had many a dispute in the street with other residents, so he has form for parking without concern for others) As the street is un-adopted by the local authority we checked our deeds and our boundary extends from the front of our house into the middle of the road. Therefore I assume when a vehicle is parked on said part of the road it is in fact our property they are parked on, and trespassing. Can anyone confirm if this is correct or not? if so what actions would you recommend (we thought about those lockable parking bollards) Or a strong letter from a solicitor perhaps. (I am awaiting a response from a solicitor) Thanks in advance

is it an access gate or a driveway, because if its a driveway you can ask the council if you can put up a sign saying do not obstruct the driveway

Before you prove that each of you and your neighbours own their own bit of the road, and therefore only the owner can park there - you might want to consider if you'd be happy with you and visiting friends and relatives not being able to park anywhere else but in front of your house. If you're happy with that, then go ahead... :-)

employ a wheel clamping service and clamp him everytime he parks on your property without permission

Dear All.

Mmmm but do the deeds just say that, so that when your road needs re-surfacing, then that area covered in your deeds, just means that is the area you have to pay for?

Can you not just go and park outside his drive?

Seek legal advice, most solicitors offer an initial meeting free of charge for 30mins or so. If the land is yours then fence it off and have a driveway/ private parking space.

is it an access gate or a driveway, because if its a driveway you can ask the council if you can put up a sign saying do not obstruct the driveway

Its un-adopted,the OP would have to pay for the sign himself,i pressume.

It is access to both the front gate to our front path/frontdoor and sometimes the side entrance which leads down the side of the house, and into our back garden.