What is the most frightening film?

What is the most frightening horror film you have watched?

I'd probably say upto now for me it's Aliens. I have discussed this with quite alot of people who are a little older than me. I have been told that back in 1976 when Jaws came out it had a unbelievable effect on people. Apparently 76 was a very hot summer and this film supposedly effected people that they were scared to swim in the sea and were only paddling with water up to their ankles. This was in an age where the Great White was not really known in Europe and no documentries had been made about it.

I can imagine this because people would know about sharks but have very little knowledge of man eating sharks.

To be honest, I find it hard to find films that scare or frighten me or have a lasting effect that lead me to start checking under the bed and getting paranoid when I'm on my own!

When I was, I guess about 11ish I saw Nightmare on Elm street which at that age should be scary but it just made me laugh because I love gore! And it was cheesy in places. Me and my friends used to watch it over and over! And Hellraiser too!

Most horror films these days, just don't scare me. Ok there might be a bit that makes me jump, but I don't really get frightened. Most of them are all full of special effects and gore which I don't find scary. Even the bits that make you jump, are often predictable so don't have much effect. The story is usually so unbelievable as well.

Did the blair witch project frighten anyone?? I was really excited when this came out, but disappointed when I saw it. I found it tense but not frightening.

I would say the only film that has frightened me recently is 'The Others' with Nicole Kidman. I was actually really tense during that film, and one part of the film actually made me scream out loud (quite embarrassing in a full cinema!). I think the reason this was scary was because it was about ghosts and was fantastically acted and done in a simple way ie. no gore and unrealistic people coming back from the dead to seek revenge with knives and hacksaws for the tenth time! It was more believable which made it scary.

I saw the ring recently, but that didn't really scare me at all, just wasn't believeable. I did enjoy it though, it was good.

I think this is the problem with horror films, they try to be too gorey and have special effects and don't worry so much about the story. In my opinion the scariest most frightening things are when you can believe that it could happen and it is acted in a way that makes you feel how frightened the person is in the situation.

Saying that, I think Event Horizon was quite scary in places and I can see what you mean by Aliens.

Can anyone recommend a film they think will really frighten me??

Originally posted by "Foxxx"

To be honest, I find it hard to find films that scare or frighten me or have a lasting effect that lead me to start checking under the bed and getting paranoid when I'm on my own!

I'm with you there! Films don't tend to have much of an effect on me, I'm not easily scared!

Having said that, "House on Haunted Hill" really freaked me out....everybody laughs at me when i say that, as everyone else thinks it was pathetic...it was the way the doctors moved, especially the doctor with the little knives. I couldnt sleep for about 2 days after i watched that film, and when i could that doctor was in my nightmares!

I put it down to the fact that i was pregnant at the time, and all my feelings seemed to be multiplied by about ten!

Watching the Omen when I was about 13

woooooooa

or what about the Excorscist or however you spell it!!

Originally posted by "Foxxx"

Did the blair witch project frighten anyone?? I was really excited when this came out, but disappointed when I saw it. I found it tense but not frightening.

The blair witch project was rubbish. The only people who it frightened were stupid people who thought it was all a true documentary.

Originally posted by "Sidla"

The blair witch project was rubbish. The only people who it frightened were stupid people who thought it was all a true documentary.

You mean it wasn't??? Phew, can sleep at night again now!

I thought Blair Witch was ace, and I was under no illusion as to it being a documentary. Great tension buildup and a hair-raising final scene.

Others? The only one where I've been truly scared was an old 50's b&w thing called "The Haunted and the Hunted" when I was about 15 - probably just laugh now. Alien(s) / Excorcist are classics and The Others is a really good recent one - Nicole Kidman is superb in it, and the twist is really well hidden until the end.

I liked Sixth Sense too.

Sixth Sence wasn't that scary. Very predictable though.

I had a really hard time keeping awake through Blair Witch Project....I thought it was poor. I think I could have done just as good a job too, buy a camcorder, take it to a local woods and run around screaming with it....

Originally posted by "Lickszz"

I had a really hard time keeping awake though Blair Witch Project....I thought it was poor. I think I could have done just as good a job too, buy a camcorder, take it to a local woods and run around screaming with it....

I think it all depends on how you take this film. The Blair Witch Project was released upon the American public with little hype and because of this, they took it at face value, and accepted that the footage was genuine. By the time it had filtered through to us over here in the UK, it had been hyped as the scariest movie ever so it was therefore a little dissapointing to watch.

I don't get scared by horror films. I went to see the Exorcist at a special screening about 8 years ago and nearly got kicked out the cinema for laughing. I just find the special effects hilarious. The Others was brilliant, and I love the original 1950s versions of The House on Haunted Hill, and The Thing. I think you can get much more tension out of a spooky story well-told than some special effect that you know has to be fake. It's easier to suspend your disbeleif.

I do remember getting spooked out of my wits by a Disney film called 'Watcher in the Woods' when I was about 8 - anybody know that one?