Sign in to follow this  

What is the difference between a copier and a scanner ?

I know what a copier does, but not sure what a scanner does.Was going to ask yesterday in Staples,but the salesman was busy.What is the difference in the two, and do you need them both ?

A scanner creates an image file of the document being scanned - i.e. it creates a computer file cntaining a picture of the document.

The 'picture' can then be saved for future viewing, used on a web site, e-mailed to comeone else or even printed out!

Think of a scanner as a copier that prints to your hard disc rather than to another piece of paper.

Some manufacturers produce multi-function printers taht incorporate scanner, copier, fax and printer.

Joe

Originally posted by JoeP

A scanner creates an image file of the document being scanned - i.e. it creates a computer file cntaining a picture of the document.

The 'picture' can then be saved for future viewing, used on a web site, e-mailed to comeone else or even printed out!

Think of a scanner as a copier that prints to your hard disc rather than to another piece of paper.

Some manufacturers produce multi-function printers taht incorporate scanner, copier, fax and printer.

Joe

Yes, thats why I asked because I am thinking of buying an all in one printer,copier and scanner(dont need fax) so to condense it,does that mean that a copier is only copying a document for your own use,while a scanner is making a record in your computer for further use if you want to send that document to someone else ?:help:

That's about it pattricia.

A copier is basically a scanner, PC and printer all in one unit. It scans the document you want to copy into the PC and then prints it out, all in one go.

By having a multifunction machine with scan, print and copy functions you can select whether to scan a document (i.e. save a copy of the document image to your PC) or copy it (i.e. create a one off hard copy onto paper).

If you scan documents you can decide to create more copies of it at a later date if required.