View Full Version : How do I copy/transfer an INSTALLED program?

Pseudonym
19-09-2005, 02:20
I have an old copy of JetAudio installed on XP-Home, I no longer have the original from which to replace it, nor is the original version still available to buy.

I don't want to install the latest version because the one I have (v.5.1.10.3124 Plus), is able to remove DRM-crippling from mp3's... The following versions soon rectified this 'fault'.

So I need to copy the ENTIRE program to backup in such a way that it can easily be reinstalled, without going through the original install procedure.

Any suggestions anyone?

Captain_Scarlet
19-09-2005, 06:21
You shouldn't normally copy an installed program from one computer to another, or even accorss disk within a computer as most programs/software inserts code into the registry (one of the flaws of Windows: beeing registry based) thus making a lot of program hwich have been copied unusable or with a good few error messages.

Pseudonym
19-09-2005, 06:28
Alas Captain_S, I'm aware of this, hence my problem. :(

JoeP
19-09-2005, 06:36
Simple answer is that apart from Ghosting the whole hard disc, you don't.

There are programs which will extract relevant sections from the registry, so you can re-insert the keys thus generated on a new machine, but to be honest I don't think I've ever done this successfully on anything except trivial programs that didn't make extensive registry usage.

Joe

Captain_Scarlet
19-09-2005, 08:03
As Joe suggest, you'd have to do extensive research on tinternet to see where keys are created.
make a copy of them and repopulate the other machine's registry with them as well as pasting the program's folder in 'program files'

Don't do it ;)

OR if you do, give it a try... You might learn sommut int process.

JoeP
19-09-2005, 08:13
And...there's also the posisbility that the original installer put additional files in System and System32.

Windows....doncha just love it!

:)

Captain_Scarlet
19-09-2005, 08:43
Originally posted by JoeP
And...there's also the posisbility that the original installer put additional files in System and System32.

Windows....doncha just love it!

:) Oh yeh, dont ya luv Registries... DLLs, VXDs ?

Pseudonym
19-09-2005, 12:58
Cheers folks, looks like i'm stumped then... To put it politely!:mad:

Nazo
19-09-2005, 13:10
If you have another PC, you could install a new version of the software using something like an uninstall program to monitor the changes it makes. Presumably there won't be too many differences across versions and you could use this to locate the files / registry keys that your old version installed and make copies of them. Might work, might not.

Total uninstall sounds like it might do the job but I've never used it so don't take that as an endorsement.
http://www.martau.com/tu.php

Captain_Scarlet
19-09-2005, 13:49
Good point actually !

Install the new version. Delete it. Then paste the older version's file on top. It sometimes work, it sometimes doesn't, but at least you have registry keys that go with it. I know it works with ICQ & Mirc.

karl101
19-09-2005, 14:09
This might work:

http://www.funduc.com/app_mover.htm

I havn't tried it or anything. Its not desined to do what you want directly, but the web site says: "Application Mover is not intended to be a clone utility. Technical users can put the program to use in other ways but the standard functioning of Application Mover is that the physical drive arrangement & lettering should remain constant on your machine."

K.

Pseudonym
19-09-2005, 14:12
I do have another pc but it runs win'98 and is used only for mail and IM, so I guess that's out...

As for installing a newer version and pasting the old version over the top... hmmm, way too risky, we're talking a lot of individual files here, probably 40-odd. While some of the dlls, etc. may have the same name, I doubt that all will have the same coding.

I daren't risk losing the functionality of the original and until I can find an old copy, I'll just have to pray that my pc doesn't need reformatting until I can find one!

Thanks all for the suggestions, anyway...

EDIT: Thanks Karl, I've looked at 'application mover', as you suggested but it seems that it's designed to relocate an application and adjust the required paths accordingly, not extract the entire application and totally relocate it, e.g. on another pc, which is what I ideally need it to do.

Back to searching the 'Net for an old version, I guess... :(

Rich
19-09-2005, 14:54
Can't you burn the install files off the app to a CD and then transfer it to the new PC from the CD?

fnkysknky
19-09-2005, 16:59
If you have a way of backing up your pc either to another hdd or cdr/dvdr then do so, install a registry/installation monitor (you want something that will track registry and file changes) and then uninstall it - hopefully the installation routine will be well behaved and will remove everything it put in. If so then you should now have a record of what needs doing.

Hardly ideal, will probably take a while and of course might not work - depends how badly you want it really :)

Pseudonym
19-09-2005, 21:40
Rich... The program was initially installed using the standard free download available on the site, plus (ahem), an additional code-block... IYSWIM... Which rather complicates matters. ;)

fnkysknky... Uninstalling it at any stage without being certain that I have a working version backed-up is far too much of a risk and not one that I'm willing to take! :)

But thanks both, for giving it some thought...

fnkysknky
19-09-2005, 21:51
That's why I said back up your pc first - then if it goes tits up you have a backup that you can restore.