View Full Version : Networking home computers

shortfuse
17-09-2005, 19:31
hello
if i set up a home network for 2 computers using:

(there was orginally a link to a comet wireless router but apparently it was abuse)
comet.co.uk > Computing > PC Peripherals > Wireless Networking > TORNADO - Wireless router

which has a 100m radius, can neighbours or other people within that area use my internet?
if so is there a way of locking it so only selected computers can use it?
grateful for help
shortfuse

RJ45
18-09-2005, 04:14
Originally posted by shortfuse
can neighbours or other people within that area use my internet?
Yes. I can't find much information about this access point but most such devices come with default settings that allow anyone within range to connect and use the device.

Originally posted by shortfuse
if so is there a way of locking it so only selected computers can use it?
There are a number of ways of protecting a wireless network. In ascending order of effectiveness they are:

MAC Address Filtering limits access to specified machines but this provides no protection against snooping and is easy to defeat. You should use it if you have it but don't rely on it.

Wired Equivalent Privacy (WEP) encrypts data on the wireless network so only machines that have the correct encryption key can use the network. However, WEP can be beaten with the use of freely available software and is considered insecure. It's better than nothing however.

Wi-Fi Protected Access (WPA & WPA2) was developed as a replacement for WEP. If properly implemented WPA provides good security. To use WPA you must ensure that both the wireless access point and the wireless adaptors in your PCs support it.

Check which security features the access point supports before you buy.

Jimbob1989
18-09-2005, 08:01
Originally posted by RJ45

MAC Address Filtering limits access to specified machines but this provides no protection against snooping and is easy to defeat. You should use it if you have it but don't rely on it.

Yes, correct, some people rely just on mac addresses, but don't do that because mac addresses can be spoofed.

On a side note, we current;y have a wireless network, one pc wired into the router by the phone connection and 2 pc's on wireless adaptops upstairs in the bedrooms.

shortfuse
18-09-2005, 16:08
thanks for your help people, im still checking more routers out and i know where i can get more advice
chars again

shortfuse