Sign in to follow this  

Should piped music be banned in public places?

How many of you just walk out of shops because of the incessant music? Is there anywhere, shops, restaurants, pubs, foyers, lifts, etc., etc., where you can get away from it?

When you complain they ask you what sort of music you want instead. Shop managers cannot seem to grasp that you cannot hope to please everyone at the same time, particularly when the music is piped through 3 inch speakers 15 feet off the ground.

Is it an age thing? Do others not even notice the noise?

Yes the piped music is really annoying but what bugs me more is the music you have to listen to over the phone when you are on hold. AAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHH

Music creates an atmosphere. The reason you hear it in a supermarket is that you'll hear a song that's popular that you'll recognise and sing along to it, making you feel happier and more relaxed and therefore more likely to buy more goods. Certain clothes shops choose music to match the style of the clothes so the shopper can relate the music to their mood when choosing an item.

I run a rock pub, so play rock music. You choose to come to my pub to listen to rock music and it plays all the time that the pub is open.

If you don't like music when you are out an about I suggest you get a catalogue and buy your clothes from there, order your food online from a supermarket, and if you want a pub then pick one that has a no music policy.

What a boring life.

Long live music.

Originally posted by "Classic Rock"

Long live music.

Here here

especially live music.

especially in pubs

especially at the Classic Rock Bar

or its new home

doing a good sellin job here eh

Keep on rockin in the free world (neil young)

I run a rock pub, so play rock music. You choose to come to my pub to listen to rock music and it plays all the time that the pub is open.

Long live music.

We seem to be at odds here. I like music and I will come to your pub to hear it. (I hope you find new premises soon, there's an empty one at Stannington)

I don't like muzac played in inappropriate places. Loud pulsing music in clothes shops puts me off going in and I have money to spend. Shops should get it through their heads that not everybody likes the same music. I'm sure that if you started playing Barry Manilow in your pub your clientele would leave. You see, they CHOOSE to hear your choice in music.

The operative word is choose. I choose my music at home, in my car, at concerts and in places of entertainment. Not B&Q, not Next and certainly not in bookshops.

Long live music.

:D:D

Bookshops, no, not so good. But music is psychologically comforting and supposed to cheer you up and make you at ease - a familiar old friend being heard in an unfamiliar environment will make you more likely to purchase (I studied this as part of my degree) - theoretical but I think it's true.

Loud banging music obviously attracts the teenage crowd who would buy the style of clothes that the shop aims at them. Some people are attracted by this - but I think these shops are a minority.

Quiet background music is acceptable.

The next topic to expand on is the quality of the system installed. If you are listening to poor shoddy speakers and a weak system, the sound can often come through as tinny and annoying or all bass and no treble. A good system offering depth and clarity to the music can be much more pleasing.

Shop's own radio stations blatantly advertising their products along with music is more annoying I think.

Stannington is a bit far out of town - I'm still looking for somewhere central (1-2 mile radius) for a pub to take on. (Sorry to the people who don't understand this - read my post in Sheffield Chat about 'help me find a pub'.

Quiet background music is acceptable.

You're still missing the point here.

Someone else's choice of music is most unlikely to find favour with everyone. While I may enjoy classical music, or rock, I do not enjoy every possible artist or composer.

Quiet background music is never acceptable. The de-sensitised may not notice it but, bring it to their attention and they'll likely agree that it's not their choice.

Please don't preach about having studied it as part of your degree. I studied computers but I don't tell people what systems they should buy.

Go here if you want to see some facts about piped music and its near universal dislike:

http://www.pipedown.info/welcome.html

I still like Rock music and may pop in some day.

:D

I was in Staples at the weekend and was aware of their music playing in the background - mainly cos when it started it was too loud and someone turned it down instantly. It filled in a certain level of sound that seemed to be missing in a big echoing warehouse, it offered some base and range of sound that seemed more comfortable for the mind - without it the place seems hollow and tinny.

Choosing a type of music for a shop with family appeal isn't done off the cuff. Marketing and PR leaders will carefully choose familiar and friendly tracks. Of course not everyone will like their choice but a good percentage of the population entering the premises will find some familiarity with it and it shouldn't cause offence....after all music may well serve the funtion I mentioned earlier - filling in the sound in a certain range to make the store more appealing and friendly, hence you buy more.

I hope I've not offended you too much by stating that I've studied this subject - this subject just triggered off memories of a marketing lecture and I had the urge to pass on my memories of it and thought I'd give you a bit of my background. Your last post came across as very abrupt and touchy. I have an opinion and I'm sorry that it conflicts with yours, but I'd appreciate a more friendly and less abrasive response.

I'm glad you like rock, and my dream would be to walk into Staples and hear Black Sabbath or Journey playing, but this music isn't mainstream and wouldn't appeal to everyone, hence you hear big hits from the charts which more people recognise.

i dont know if its been mentioned but shops play different music to make you buy things!

in the mornings they play slow music to make you take your time and relax more, so you shop more, and in the afternoons faster music so it feels more frantic and you see offers and what-not

Guest dc333

It is due to the ignorance of people to not learn of other cultures of the why people live their life. Because people do not realize why they are asking for different type of music to be played wether it be rap, rock punk, or country it is all iteresting and should be played within the confine for people to engage how other go about living, because no one lives a life with out ignorance.

Nope, that was way over my head. Is it Eastern philosophy stuff?