Sign in to follow this  

Would you spend one year on another planet?

Okay, Imagine this situation. If you were offered lets say £100,000 would you spend a year alone in specially constructed shelter on another planet. You would be allowed contact with earth 2 times a week.

Answers please....if not, why not?

Heck, providing my safety was assured, and the planet was within the solar system (so it must be mars), then you wouldn't have to pay me, I would be off like a shot.

In reality, if I had to leave my girlfriend and son for a year, then I'd probably have to think very hard, and I would have to give her the money!

probably, as long as i didnt have to pay tax when i got back :lol:

Originally posted by "Phanerothyme"

Heck, providing my safety was assured, and the planet was within the solar system (so it must be mars), then you wouldn't have to pay me, I would be off like a shot.

In reality, if I had to leave my girlfriend and son for a year, then I'd probably have to think very hard, and I would have to give her the money!

Yes, I did have Mars in mind.

I might go in the spirit of exploration, but I'd probably also stay in the spirit of exploration as there's an awful lot of Earth I've not explored yet :)

No chance, it would be tantamount to commiting suicide and what good would £10000 pounds be to you then?

Originally posted by "halevan"

No chance, it would be tantamount to commiting suicide and what good would £10000 pounds be to you then?

But what about the experience? How many could say that they had experienced something like that? you'd be well and truly unique.

AND DEAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

I think the questioner presuppose a successful mission to another planet Halevan, not one that results in the death s of the entire crew.

Of course, it couldn't just be a sightseeing trip. If they wanted colonists I'd be up like a shot, since I would never make the expert grade required for science/med/ships officers.

Mars does seem like a long shot though, the biggest enemy being the godawful climate and the lack of available water. But a permanently manned colony on mars might find all sorts of novel uses.

Would we go in domes, or would we tunnel into the ground and seal ourselves in? Domes would be more environmental, but pretty bad at keeping out harmful radiation.

I think the real future lies in space stations with simulated gravity and mining metals from suitable chunks of asteroid. There are some pretty amazing theories on how to refine metals in space, producing literally millions of tons of refined metals per time.

The earth is a precious jewel, but she's not going to be around for ever, nor is she invulnerable to random catastrophe. We may not need to get off now, or even soon, but if we're still around we will need to one day. But that's a pretty slim justification, I admit!

I've been thinking about this subject recently and the possibility of traveling to other planets.

I'll stay here, cheers.

I really think I might be quite tempted - it would be such a unique, fabulous, mind-blowing experience to live on another world for a while. It would be like "Star Trek" come to life in a way.

I've always fancied the idea of going into space, and would be fascinated to visit, say, the international space station as a space tourist.

Think I'd have to have a companion, though - I like my own company, but a year of it would be too much of a good thing! :D

StarSparkle

PS And of course I'd have to have access to the Sheffield Forum!

Depends on the exclusiveness of it. If I was the first person to inhabit the planet and my name would go in many history books for years and years to come... Probably.

If I just wanted that sort of money by leaving home for an extended period of time, I'd go back to Iraq... Saying that, I don't know which would be worse.