Anyone visited the Winter Gardens yet?

Have you visited the new Winter Gardens yet? I managed to "pop in" today and was pleasantly surprised. My first impression was it looked very much like a "Millennium Fund" type of development (i.e. similar to the Eden project and the National Maritime Museum). I was impressed with the way it smoothly led visitors on to the Millennium gallery, but I wasn't so keen that the exit led to a huge carpark and then a fairly long walk back to the centre.

What are your thoughts on it? Press 'Reply' to add them.

I nipped in briefly on Saturday. I had walked up from the Showroom, and it makes a pleasant route back into the town centre if you go through the Millenium Gallery and then out into the Winter Gardens.

I agree with you that the 'car park' end is disappointing, though I guess its still work in progress. It really needs to go 'somewhere' so that people will use it regularly as a thoroughfare.

Shouldn't it link up with the Peace Gardens somehow?

I thought the Winter Garden and the Peace Garden were the same thing??

I thought there was a big gap between them where they are planning to build a hotel!

Yes the 'Peace Gardens' are still there, they are the ones with the waterfalls and fountains (in front of the old 'egg box' council offices). The 'Winter Gardens' is the news, glass and steel contruction just behind them.

As the for the hotel - I heard there was a big debate about this?

Apparently 4 out 5 people asked are opposed to the hotel.

See

http://www.bbc.co.uk/southyorkshire/

On another issue I think the above URL would be good on the links page of this forum. Also you might want to see it you could get the above page to link here.

cheers

Nomme

Originally posted by "nommedenet"

See

http://www.bbc.co.uk/southyorkshire/

On another issue I think the above URL would be good on the links page of this forum. Also you might want to see it you could get the above page to link here.

Duh! Should have checked first - it already is. :oops:

Still it may be worthwhile trying to get them to link here (maybe under the community section). I would guess it would up the number of subscribers.

Nomme

Thanks for those pictures RPG - they look great! Shame you didn't get any of the big hole in the ground :wink:

I should get to sleep now, it's 2am - talk about a dedicated admin :shock:

Enjoy the view while you can - they're about to build a great big hotel right in front of it, blocking the view of it from the peace gardens!

Yes I have visited the winter gardens a number of times,in my opinion it is very inspiring and informative. Full marks to the ruling labour council for their innovative and fresh ideas,the winter gardens in particular are something we have needed in this city for a long time. I found the information to be fascinating,and I was impressed by the wonderfull variety of plants from all over the southern hemisphere of the globe. Halevan. 1/2/03.

Guest Guest

my girlfriend works in there at zoobies :P