Club future proposals for newbies

There has been some discussion about the club doing stuff for competitive (=better?) players. I thought it might be helpful to try and have a bit of discussion about what we could do for newbies at the club. Here are a couple of thoughts:

1. The default at the club is the 'go on court, play a game, yield the court' rotation but maybe this is not always best. Sometimes one can just get a nice rhythm going in a knock-up while a game kind of stutters. How about agreeing that it is reasonable for four people to have a knock-up instead of a game so long as they yield the court after a reasonable period of time. I have in mind a group of four where the standard is really mixed or perhaps the sequence serve-return tends to lead to very short, unsatisfactory rallies or they're only just learning the game and the court seems really awfully long or ... well really no reason at all except the four would rather have a knock-up than play a game.

2. How about some coaching especially for newbies: a sequence of coaching sessions just to get people started. Really, really basic, non-intimidating stuff starting with how to hold the racket. Perhaps some newbies or until-recently- newbies could suggest some topics which we could pass along to the coach so as to make sure it works for the target group.

Cheers,

Rob.

i think someone mentioned they were getting coaching badges?

coaching 'in-club' would be a great idea :)

I like the above idea for the "newbies."

I'm moving to Sheffield in a couple of weeks and would love a non-intimidating introduction in to a badminton club.

When is the best time/day for a new attender to come?

Thanks,

Jan.

Jan,

Tuesdays for you old chap!

sign me up for tuesday

Hi folks. I have seen this thread here . I resonaly new to sheffield , not the best at badmington but want to learn and also meet new folk. could i come along to these games , Can someone tell me where they are held etc .

many thnaks

Hi folks. I have seen this thread here . I resonaly new to sheffield , not the best at badmington but want to learn and also meet new folk. could i come along to these games , Can someone tell me where they are held etc .

many thnaks

You might want to take a look at the 'Sticky' threads at the top of the forum. The introduction and the Tuesday signing up threads are the ones you need.