Short wave radio. Does anybody still listen?

As a kid, I was geeky enough to listen to short wave radio. I think it grew from two things. Firstly, I was never allowed a TV in my room (until 86/7 when I was allowed a B/W portable for my old Spectrum), and secondly, I always found a bit of mystery about the radio which was, and still is alluring.

I only ask as I just dug up an old radio of mine which receives short wave, and although I can switch the satellite TV on and see information from all over the world, there was something special about listening to the Eastern Bloc at the end of the Cold War. As a young teenager, I almost felt like a dissident!

I'm going to resurrect the old radio as a sad old get, but does anybody else still try and find broadcasts from far flung places?

Can you still use it to tune into police communications, or am I thinking of something else?

Nice thread happyhippy.

Can you still use it to tune into police communications, or am I thinking of something else?

That was in the middle of the MW band near to it you could find Radio Prague and right over on the end you could find Radio Moscow broadcasting in English late at night. I was listening to those from being around 11 yo and was fascinated to hear what I suppose they wanted us to hear.

Now, does anyone know the frequency for Radio Dear Leader?

No you can't and yes you are.:D

i never had short wave my cousin did , he remembers the numbers broadcasts such as the lincolnshire poacher from cyprus and how the russians would try to bleed all over it

No you can't and yes you are.:D

You can listen into Police Communications, but not on the short wave, you never could, it was VHF.

There are many swl ( short wave listeners ) still around but if you have an interest in this area why not contact the Sheffield Amateur Radio Club where you will find many others with the same interests , they will even teach you to become a licensed radio ham and you will be able to talk to people around the world

As a kid, I was geeky enough to listen to short wave radio. I think it grew from two things. Firstly, I was never allowed a TV in my room (until 86/7 when I was allowed a B/W portable for my old Spectrum), and secondly, I always found a bit of mystery about the radio which was, and still is alluring.

I only ask as I just dug up an old radio of mine which receives short wave, and although I can switch the satellite TV on and see information from all over the world, there was something special about listening to the Eastern Bloc at the end of the Cold War. As a young teenager, I almost felt like a dissident!

I'm going to resurrect the old radio as a sad old get, but does anybody else still try and find broadcasts from far flung places?

Never been interested in SW (HF) Having a frequency range of 3,000-30,000 kHz all the programmes tend to get squished together resulting in 'The Archers' lasting only around 5 seconds!

Much better to use medium wave (MW) in the 1MHz spectrum (equivalent to 300m) where you can get a full half hour of the goings on at Ambridge ... much better value for money! :hihi:

I was also a geeky kid. Loved nothing more than listening to obscure broadcasts from far flung places when I should have been asleep. There was something exciting about listening to broadcasts from Patagonia and the likes....Yes, I was a strange child. I used to drive my Mum mad with wires trailing from the radio aerial to the radiator in an attempt to improve reception. Dad always said I should have been a lad!

I recently unearthed my old SW radio, but have to admit was a bit disappointed......perhaps I should try with a wire attached to the radiator;)

I used to hook my old SW radio to the Spectrum and decode some of the strange bleeps and blips. Never got anything meaningful though.

It served me well when I had to learn high speed Morse.