View Full Version : England game tonight..

*Ryan*
07-09-2005, 10:49
any1 know what channel england game is on tonight?

Ally68
07-09-2005, 10:56
BBC1 7.30pm :thumbsup:

COME ON ENGLAND!

Agent Gypo
07-09-2005, 16:23
I get the feeling that Joe Cole and Shawn Wright-Phillips could play the game of their lives, score a hat-trick each and still be dropped in favour of Owen and Beckham. Even if they were in a poor run of form or were unfit.

I just read that Owen (who hasn't kicked a ball yet) is playing in Joe Cole's (who scored in the last England game) place.

mikeyspikey
07-09-2005, 16:36
england will have to keep a close eye on blades winger keith gillespie--he could cause ashley cole a few probs!!

JBee
07-09-2005, 16:37
Originally posted by Agent ****
I just read that Owen (who hasn't kicked a ball yet)

What.... ever....?

Agent Gypo
07-09-2005, 16:49
Originally posted by JBee
What.... ever....?

Ever.

Well, he hasn't played a game this season.

craigb
07-09-2005, 17:11
Owen's played a few pre-season games for Real before his move to Newcastle, but the worry is that he hasn't played a full 90 minute competative match since the end of last season, so will he have the fitness and sharpness.

Personally I think he should be fine, although I'd probably take him off after 45/60 minutes if he looks to be struggling or England are winning by a reasonable margin.

Agent Gypo
07-09-2005, 17:19
My 11 would be;

Robinson

Young Ferdinand A Cole

Carrick

Wright-Phillips Gerrard Lampard J Cole

D Bent Rooney

Bench;

Kirkland
Warnock
Hargreaves
Richardson
Owen

Carrick in a holding position in front of a 3 man defence. Tactical genius I am.

the_rudeboy
07-09-2005, 20:21
Oh dear.......1-0......

sheffieldcpl
07-09-2005, 20:40
time for sven to go, his tactics are ...............debatetable to say the least

robbie
07-09-2005, 20:42
Swen out. I'm sorry but the most inept use of tactis and subs EVER. He makes Warnock look clever.

Greenback
07-09-2005, 20:42
Disgusting performance from the likes of Ashley Cole, Frank Lampard, Steven Gerrard and Michael Owen tonight. I'm furious after watching that.

If these players can't lift themselves for England they shouldn't be playing. Sven apart, his sulking, pathetic players are to blame and I hope the press direct their anger at the players as well as the man in charge.

All credit to Norn Iron, they were really up for it tonight and thoroughly deserved it. Great goal too.

Zinger549
07-09-2005, 20:46
England+Football=S***

msdiane
07-09-2005, 20:49
Oh Deary me, I think I will retract my topic starter on "where can I get tickets to see England at home "

GabbleRatcht
07-09-2005, 20:51
Anyone got Stuwert Pearce's telephone number?

sheffieldcpl
07-09-2005, 20:52
and people used to critisice cricket!!! england cricket team show more pride n passion than those over paid to..sers in svens team,absolutley discusted with the whole sorry farce in football

ANGELUS
07-09-2005, 20:57
Now are you lot listening when I say Sven Out!
Do people really expect us to win the world cup next year?

How many more times do we have to be shown up by ****e teams- winning wales 1-0 was bad enough but to be beat by N.Ireland just takes the ****!

vidster
07-09-2005, 21:06
Pathetic! :rant:

A good point made on TV after the match.
"England have world class players at their disposal. They should be walking the qualifiers. They have the players so it must be something else that's wrong"

Time for Sven to go mi think. Bring someone in who will actually train with the players and who has the ball$ to drop Beckham as captain.

England need someone who will kick arse out on the pitch if they're not playing 100%.

Scutts
07-09-2005, 21:17
Originally posted by GabbleRatcht
Anyone got Stuwert Pearce's telephone number?

Now theres a man who's passionate about his football :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

the_rudeboy
07-09-2005, 21:21
Always been a big fan of Sven but i think his tactics and substitutions tonight were sh*te to say the least.

Think it could be time for a change if we gunna stand a chance of even getting to the World Cup finals.

mikeyspikey
07-09-2005, 21:22
sorry cant think of one england player who is world class!!:confused:

Annoni_mouse
07-09-2005, 21:26
What I really liked was -

80 minutes gone,1 goal down:( Who you going to bring on to turn the game around,Roy-of-the-rovers-esque?

Step up to the plate Owen bleedin Hargreaves :loopy:

Greenback
07-09-2005, 21:33
Originally posted by Annoni_mouse
What I really liked was -

80 minutes gone,1 goal down:( Who you going to bring on to turn the game around,Roy-of-the-rovers-esque?

Step up to the plate Owen bleedin Hargreaves :loopy:

Good point, but there are lots of so-called 'stars' equally as worthy of ridicule. I mean, Steven Gerrard, best player in Europe? I didn't notice he was on the pitch until he slunk off to be replaced. Lampard sulked his way through the game, Owen was as Owen always is - technically terrible (his second touch is always a tackle) - and Shaun Wright-Phillips looks horribly out of his depth.

The only good performance tonight came from a substitute, Joe Cole.

Agent Gypo
07-09-2005, 21:39
There were many poor performances tonight but I'm not going to blame the players too much.

Owen was playing a role he is not suited to. Rooney, Lampard and Gerrard were all playing completely out of position. None of these players play like that for their clubs, is it any wonder they played badly?

Alan Hansen said on match of the day that England play best in 4-4-2 because we have players suited to that system. Why oh why did Eriksson play 4-5-1?

Sven should never have got the job. England should have Allardyce, McClaren or dare I say it even Venables in charge.

royjames
07-09-2005, 21:46
Too many england players did not seem to know what their positon was ,the tactics were wrong and they did not seem to have any passion to win the game.
Having said that you have to give credit to the irish for the way they played, well done.

Greenback
07-09-2005, 21:53
There were many poor performances tonight but I'm not going to blame the players too much.

Owen was playing a role he is not suited to. Rooney, Lampard and Gerrard were all playing completely out of position. None of these players play like that for their clubs, is it any wonder they played badly?

Can't agree with that. What exactly is Owen's role in a perfect world? To lose possession constantly and pop up with a goal every now and again? He's a shadow of his former self, and was amateurish tonight.

Rooney plays out wide in a forward three for Manchester United, and Lampard played in exactly the same role as he does for Chelsea, in front of a holding midfielder. I'm struggling to think of the last time either Gerrard or Lampard put in a commanding performance for the national side. Rooney just had a bad night.

Alan Hansen said on match of the day that England play best in 4-4-2 because we have players suited to that system. Why oh why did Eriksson play 4-5-1?

According to the press, because the players asked him to. Poor management, possibly, but theoretically it should have played to the team's strengths.

Sven should never have got the job. England should have Allardyce, McClaren or dare I say it even Venables in charge.

Allardyce would be a disaster just as Taylor was, McClaren's a good coach but a negative manager, and Venables has been there, seen it, done it and (ultimately) failed like the rest.

Agent Gypo
07-09-2005, 22:01
Originally posted by Greenback
Can't agree with that. What exactly is Owen's role in a perfect world? To lose possession constantly and pop up with a goal every now and again? He's a shadow of his former self, and was amateurish tonight.
. He needs a strike partner. He did not have that tonight. Owen does not have the strength or height to be a target man. Owen is a goalscorer, and a very good one, when he is supplied with ammunition.

Rooney plays out wide in a forward three for Manchester United, and Lampard played in exactly the same role as he does for Chelsea, in front of a holding midfielder. I'm struggling to think of the last time either Gerrard or Lampard put in a commanding performance for the national side. Rooney just had a bad night.. Rooney was playing as a left-winger for long periods of the match tonight, at Man Utd he is further forward and has the protection around him to allow and encourage him to roam and cut inside to supply the frontline as well as take on defenders. Lampard was playing much further forward than he does for Chelsea. Gerrard and Lampard are not likely to put in commanding performances together for England when they are played out of position.

Allardyce would be a disaster just as Taylor was, McClaren's a good coach but a negative manager, and Venables has been there, seen it, done it and (ultimately) failed like the rest. So who do you think should be manager then? Personally I think Venables should have been given another crack when the job came up after Keegan resigned.

Greenback
07-09-2005, 22:13
He needs a strike partner. He did not have that tonight. Owen does not have the strength or height to be a target man. Owen is a goalscorer, and a very good one, when he is supplied with ammunition.

Fair point. But then again I think with Rooney and Wright-Phillips either side of him we should be creating plenty of goalscoring opportunities. And any striker in the modern game has to be able to deal with the ball in to feet much better than Owen does - it's a massive deficiency in his game.

Rooney was playing as a left-winger for long periods of the match tonight, at Man Utd he is further forward and has the protection around him to allow and encourage him to roam and cut inside to supply the frontline as well as take on defenders. Lampard was playing much further forward than he does for Chelsea. Gerrard and Lampard are not likely to put in commanding performances together for England when they are played out of position.

For me, Gerrard and Lampard won't put in a good performance for England together because in every system they can't seem to play together. maybe they're just too similar, but seemingly any team in the world can slice through our central midfield with ease. They need to sort it out between themselves or someone else needs to come in and replace one of them.

So who do you think should be manager then? Personally I think Venables should have been given another crack when the job came up after Keegan resigned.

Unless it's Mourinho, who would seriously kick some ass as well as invoking some pride in these disgracefully lackadaisical 'superstars', I don't honestly think it matters much.

royjames
07-09-2005, 22:13
I nominate Neil Warnock as the next england manager,at least he will get some passion out of this team.
:thumbsup:

Agent Gypo
07-09-2005, 22:25
An England manager should be English. Plain and simple.

Jon
07-09-2005, 22:55
:( I'm shell shocked i can't believe how bad we played, i know its not easy being an England fan but this is just as bad when we lost to the USA :o

D2J
07-09-2005, 22:57
So I didn't miss owt by not watching it then :confused:

Agent Gypo
07-09-2005, 22:59
You missed an inept display of tactics and a lacklustre performance from England.

You also missed Northern Ireland giving us a lesson in teamplay.

It could, and perhaps should have been 2-0 to NI.

vidster
07-09-2005, 23:09
NI squads pay for one week 48k

And they embarrased us! There are no excuses for tonight. It's as simple as that really.
If Sven has anything left in his ball$ after $haggi*g around, he would quit in the morning. I bet the Chelsea board are thanking their lucky stars now :rolleyes:

Jon
07-09-2005, 23:11
Look on the brightside if we win the next two games we will be in Germany next year :clap: come lets not be too down...sing England till i die am England till i die :)

Agent Gypo
07-09-2005, 23:14
Originally posted by Jon
Look on the brightside if we win the next two games we will be in Germany next year :clap: come lets not be too down...sing England till i die am England till i die :)

We'll be coming home at the end of the group stage if we have any more performances like this.

Norton
07-09-2005, 23:45
My club alligence took precedence over country today, and I cheered on Northern Ireland complete with Sheffield United midfielder, Keith Gillespie.

I really can't get excited about National football in this country. I look at that team of overpaid and oversexed individuals and they do not represent anything to do with me.

My partner and I were quite vocally supporting NI today (sorry to the neighbours) and I was quite amused that England lost. No team has a divine right to win a game, they obviously thought they did, looking at the 109 FIFA ranking places between them. Looks like it brought them down a peg or two, looking at young Mr Rooney's reactions.

The England team to me is "them", not "we". I'm not going to apologise for my unpatriotic streak :)

ANGELUS
08-09-2005, 08:01
A couple of points I want to discuss with everyone please..

1. Sam Allardyce for England perhaps?
2. Why not go with the 3-5-2 now.. nothing else is working?
3. Beckham? WTF is going on?

1. I would love to see Big Sam in the england managers job, failing him, Steve McLaren or Stewart Peace.. all of them I think could do the job for me as they would have the resect to manage the different 'superstars' in the squad.

2. 3-5-2 for me is what we need to go with now.. have Paul Robinson as GK - backline of Ferdinand, Terry, King .. MF of - Ashley Cole, Stevie G, Becks, Lampard, SWPhillips, and then Rooney just off Owen.

Thats the way to go for me!

3. Beckham- I dont know WTF is going on behind the scenes of the england camp- but I would love to know why Rooney had a go at beckham yesterday? I think people are beginning to get a little ****** off with Svens treatment of the 'messiah' - he never drops him when he is obviously doing ****, and I dont think he will leave him out of the squad as well.

The current formation, seems to benefit Beckham only at the minute and it just clearly aint working one bit.

Saxon
08-09-2005, 08:16
I also can't understand why he doesn't go for 3-5-2. Would seem to make sense playing to our strengths, which at the moment is at centre back, and would also solve the perceived left side of midfield problem by pushing Ashley Cole up there.

Greenback
08-09-2005, 08:27
Originally posted by ANGELUS
A couple of points I want to discuss with everyone please..

1. Sam Allardyce for England perhaps?

1. That would be an absolute disaster. Allardyce has no experience of the massive high-pressure games England have to play, and would in all likelihood turn out to be the next Graham Taylor. He's done a great job at Bolton, but to be considered he needs to achieve real success (trophies) at a bigger club.

Steve McLaren told his Middlesbrough team to keep the ball in the corners towards the end of 90 minutes when they were 0-0 at home to Liverpool. Who wants to see that at international level? keep him where he is, by all accounts he's an excellent, innovative coach.

And while Stuart Pearce is doing a fantastic job at Manchester City, it's far too early to consider him for the position yet.

There just aren't any suitable English candidates around at the moment, as far as I can see.

2. 3-5-2 for me is what we need to go with now.. have Paul Robinson as GK - backline of Ferdinand, Terry, King .. MF of - Ashley Cole, Stevie G, Becks, Lampard, SWPhillips, and then Rooney just off Owen.

So who's playing at right wing-back there? SWP? That isn't going to work, he can't defend.

I think commentators talk far too much about formations. When the England players step onto the pitch they have to perform better both individually and collectively. We were playing a team last night that are ranked below Rwanda, Turkmenistan and Singapore. We should beat them whatever pretty shapes the manager evokes on the training board.

3. Beckham- I dont know WTF is going on behind the scenes of the england camp- but I would love to know why Rooney had a go at beckham yesterday? I think people are beginning to get a little ****** off with Svens treatment of the 'messiah' - he never drops him when he is obviously doing ****, and I dont think he will leave him out of the squad as well.

The current formation, seems to benefit Beckham only at the minute and it just clearly aint working one bit.

His passing's still world-class but doesn't seem to want to cover the ground he used to. Still, who else is there to take his place? Owen Hargreaves? Phil Neville?

Thoroughly depressed this morning. Bring on the sportsmen for whom playing for your country actually means something - the cricketers of Australia and England.

Internetowl
08-09-2005, 08:33
Alladyce would struggle as he can't pick up any cut price foreigners....

Englandfs big problem is....Lampard / Beckam and Gerrard. They cannot all fit into the same side and whilst ever Svennis keeps trying to make it work it will be a long struggle.

Also they need to sort out the forwards - playing Rooney (even if he is a bit of a brat) on the left is a shocking decision - tactically....you need him steamrollering (he's quite a big lad) down the middle.

Finally, if Owen Hargreaves is a footballer then I'm the pope.

tosh13
08-09-2005, 08:39
Beckham played some decent crosses to Wright-Philips who did not do bad in the first half,but there were no tactics at all that I could see last night,England who I have watched for over 40yrs played like headless chickens,as for Hargreaves who cannot get into the BM side,how does he get an England position,he was awful ,he lost the ball on every occasion that he touched it.Cole was doing cross overs why?.Rooney needs a slap & told to grow up,his swearing bout at Beckham was disgraceful,when young kids watched the match,thank god he is out of the Austria match.The best team won last night,I told my wife just after half time that the match looked like the Liverpool v Wimbledon match & how I was proved right.I cannot say that a single English player did well they were all atrocious.As for Sven he looked like his dummy in Madame Tussauds,he has no passion,like Ian Wright said SM was more animated,but Sven looked like a FIFA official not the England manager.If he does not drop the stupid so called formations against Austria & Poland we will lose both matches & will be going nowhere next year.Congrats to NI & Scotland.

Macca
08-09-2005, 08:53
For me, Sven has been too weak recently, particularly last night.
Firstly, Beckham should have been dropped for trying to instigate the change of tactics. Captain or not, he isn't the manager.
The other thing that wound me up was Rooney. Now, I realise we don't know what goes on behind closed doors, but I'm willing to bet Dollars to Doughnuts that the players had a row at half-time, instigated by Rooney and his stupid, petty, childish behaviour.
In the space of three minutes last night he told Beckham (who he also swung at), Gerrard and Ferdinand to **** off, and he meant it. The sad thing is, not one of them was berating him, they were all trying to calm him down.
My reasoning for thinking this epsiode carried on off the field is that the same team didn't appear for the second half. We looked okay in the first, but asleep in the second - there was no spark.

Beckham shouldn't have played and Rooney should have been dragged off by his ill-proportioned ears, the fat little chav.

Guderian
08-09-2005, 08:58
Beckham was our best player and Rooney must ALWAYS play. At least he showed some passion.
Drag Owen off, the ineffective little fairy.

Greenback
08-09-2005, 09:05
Originally posted by Guderian
Beckham was our best player and Rooney must ALWAYS play. At least he showed some passion.

The stick Rooney gets is unbelievable. He's hotheaded, sure, but he's also the most talented player we've got by a distance of several galaxies. Without him we're nothing.

You're right about Owen. For a professional footballer his lack of basic skills is amazing.

Macca
08-09-2005, 09:06

Your missing the point, and sounding dangerously like an certain inoffensive Swede.

I'm not saying Beckham should have been subbed, he shouldn't have started either of these two games. No player is bigger than the club they play for, and certainly no player is bigger than the country they play for.
A strong manager is required, otherwise the primadonna(s?) that run the England team at the moment will ruin it.

A phrase kept entering my head last night "Get rid of the players before they get rid of you" every manager has heard it, only the good ones heed it's advice.

Beckham should have been taught a lesson, Eriksson should have quoted Mike Bassett "England will be playing 4-4-fcuking-2"

I would have picked the following side for the last two games.

Robinson

Cole
Carragher
Ferdinand
Young

Cole
Gerrard (c)
Lampard
SWP

Defoe (for Wales)
Owen (For NI)
Rooney

Macca
08-09-2005, 09:09
The stick Rooney gets is unbelievable. He's hotheaded, sure, but he's also the most talented player we've got by a distance of several galaxies. Without him we're nothing.

You're right about Owen. For a professional footballer his lack of basic skills is amazing.

He's playing for England, he should be happy to be on the pitch. Throwing a hissy fit because he is moved out to the wing periodically is not the best way to react.

He should get his head down, and prove Sven wrong instead of bawling like a dummy-less child.

I have all the respect in the world for his football talents, but none for his attitude. We do not want another Gazza on our hands.

Guderian
08-09-2005, 09:14
What makes you think he was throwing a fit because he was on the wing?
He doesnt do that for United when he gets shunted there.
Secondly, why on earth should Beckham not have played?
I think you have been reading too many tabloids. The suggestion that he practically picks the team is frankly ridiculous.

Although if I played for Sven, I couldnt help be more "hands on", as it would really wind me up to see him doing nothing at half time.
Robbie Fowler, in his autobiography, said that at half time v Brazil in World Cup 02, the players went in at half time just having conceded a goal. He says they needed motivation, and encouragement and direction.
To quote Robbie:
"What did Sven say? F**k all, absolutely F all. He just stood there"

ANGELUS
08-09-2005, 09:24

Let us all remember- Rooney is the one player we have who can win us major titles, he is world class and he is the player who kept us in the european championship.. so before anyone starts having a go at the kid.. please remember that.

I didnt see Frank Lampard, Paul Scholes, Stevie G and Beckham keeping us in the championship then... it was Rooney.

After Rooney was injured- we were ****e and we went home.. simple as that!

I dont think Rooney was having a fit about playing on the wing- fergie has asked him to do it before at MU and he was fine with it- so its not that.. maybe its the stupid 4-5-1 and Sven continually bumming Beckham thats getting up his nose eh?

Macca
08-09-2005, 09:33
What makes you think he was throwing a fit because he was on the wing?
He doesnt do that for United when he gets shunted there.
Secondly, why on earth should Beckham not have played?
I think you have been reading too many tabloids. The suggestion that he practically picks the team is frankly ridiculous.

Although if I played for Sven, I couldnt help be more "hands on", as it would really wind me up to see him doing nothing at half time.
Robbie Fowler, in his autobiography, said that at half time v Brazil in World Cup 02, the players went in at half time just having conceded a goal. He says they needed motivation, and encouragement and direction.
To quote Robbie:
"What did Sven say? F**k all, absolutely F all. He just stood there"

I've already explained my views on Mr Beckham.

And as for Rooney, what other reason could there be for his ire, sure the tackles were flying in, but that was to be expected, and he's not exactly a pacifist on the pitch.

If Eriksson was that bad, the players wouldn't be happy playing for him, and it would show in the teams results over the past few years.
Also, if they were that unhappy, he wouldn't have been offered a new deal by the FA.

Having said that, I do believe Eriksson is starting to show the strain of managing such a big team with fan expectation to match.

He either needs to grow some teeth, or go.

And with regards to the 'ridiculous' suggestion that Beckham has too much influence, can you tell me just how he's ended up playing as a holding midfielder?

Macca
08-09-2005, 09:35
Let us all remember- Rooney is the one player we have who can win us major titles, he is world class and he is the player who kept us in the european championship.. so before anyone starts having a go at the kid.. please remember that.

I 100% agree, Rooney is a very special player indeed, and he will have a long career with England.

BUT the lack of respect he shows on the pitch at times is unbelievable. He still needs to grow up. The thing is, we've been saying that for the last three years....

Guderian
08-09-2005, 09:35
He hasn't. He is playing in a position that is designed to bring out his full range of passing.
Sven would not play this against better opposition. He was not meant to "hold" in the last two games but it was never envisaged that he had to!
Although Sven is a weak minded clown with zero tactical nous.
Go now I say.

Macca
08-09-2005, 09:39
He hasn't. He is playing in a position that is designed to bring out his full range of passing.
Sven would not play this against better opposition. He was not meant to "hold" in the last two games but it was never envisaged that he had to!
Although Sven is a weak minded clown with zero tactical nous.
Go now I say.

What was wrong with him playing on the right though? He was more than effective there.

If he wants to play in the middle, as we know he does, Sven needs to bite the bullet and actually choose his best midfield two out of the three world class players available to him. He wont, but it's a nice idea.

Internetowl
08-09-2005, 09:44
Michael Owen has had his brain sucked out whilst in Spain. What other excuse could there be for going to play for Newcastle?

Macca
15-09-2005, 06:42

Still happy with him Angelus?!

:hihi: