Sign in to follow this  

Anti-Social Behaviour Orders

Does anyone know if ASBO's operate within the Sheffield Council? What do people feel about these. The problem I have with this is that maybe they could be open to abuse if they allow a people to accuse other people anonymously and do these people get named in local press? Is there a better way to protect communities from these troublesome people? Should local Coucils have the power to ban individuals from their community?

I know some people class these orders as a violation of Human Rights.

I'd say it is much more a violation of human rights that people can't live in peace, without fear of gangs, drug dealers, joy riders and thieves.

I think ASBO's are a good idea, anything that helps to get rid of the scum who see nothing wrong in terrorising estates can only be welcomed.

I live in a really nice tower block, with a majority of lovely harworking people. It is a shame that the council have decided to dump heroin addicts and other scummy people on us. These people are having an extremely negative effect on the area, mostly because of the company they keep and the visitors they get.

I'm not sure which is worse, those people, or the "kids" who smash up everything in sight, scratch people's cars, blow phone boxes up, graffitti any area they can, intimidate elderly folk and anyone who dare stand up to them.

I'd go further than issuing ASBOS. If I had my way I'd make sure these "kids" were humiliated in the city centre, as in the olden days. I'd make sure they were punished severly for the upset they cause. I would make them clean the streets and do community work to make up for the crap they have given people.

The softly softly approach with "kids" like these, does not work. they only understand one language, and it isn't verbal.

Yes ASBO's are now in operation. The first one was issued recently on 4 youths in Firth Park and they were named in the press reports. I lived there for almost 5 years when these youths were children and have to say I am not in the least surprised. They were a nightmare even then. Made my little devil look like an angel!!!!!

Reading the Star (feb 18)and the article entitled “Tough action call to beat thug gangs”, reminded me of a recent TV programme where the presenter and crew followed, filmed and in some cases, questioned the kids involved in the breaking of ASBO’s. Surely the kids in Firth Park are simply mimicking the exact same behaviour that was televised during the showing of that programme and I say this with reference to the “wearing balaclavas to hide their faces”. Now if it is the case that the kids are only ‘mimicking’ what they see on-screen, wouldn’t it make sense to show a programme that will at least cause some kids to stop and think about what they’re doing if not stop it altogether? With the obvious power of the screen these days, can’t a local film-maker in partnership with the council, police and social services come up with a story-line that shows the cheekiness, 'cleverness' and downright disrespectful behaviour of young thuggishness only to see the down-side of this - a night giving a statement without his/her mates there to back him/her up; perhaps a court hearing where the young offender will be named and shamed for all to see (TV news crews/local paper photographers waiting outside the court building); maybe even the death of one of their friends that was the result of their own stupid behaviour. Surely this will make some kids begin to think straight and leave their ‘daft mates’ to face an uncertain future.

Originally posted by mslotus

Yes ASBO's are now in operation. The first one was issued recently on 4 youths in Firth Park and they were named in the press reports. I lived there for almost 5 years when these youths were children and have to say I am not in the least surprised. They were a nightmare even then. Made my little devil look like an angel!!!!!

Those 4 "youths" are my friends, there is more to the ASBO's they were given than meets the eye.

1 of the "youths" is actually a very good friend of mine, I've known him for over 14 years and see him all the time still (been with him all day today!).

My point is, this thread is about ASBO's themselves, not about expressing opinions on individuals who have them.