View Full Version : John Higgins snooker player

grasscutter
02-05-2010, 14:30
Has anyone read the report in the News of the World about John Higgins? What are your opinions.

polo
02-05-2010, 14:36
The paper said that it was a match in the world snooker series (european tour of snooker).
so it doesn't look like he was making a deal to throw a frame in a major or ranking tournament.
but whichever match it was, he was breaking the law, it will be very interesting to see what the authorities do.
maybe a ban?
very stupid and greedy thing to do...

Stan Tamudo
02-05-2010, 14:37
The snooker authorities have acted very swiftly.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8656905.stm

boyo
02-05-2010, 14:37
For the amount he could make for the rest of his career and the amount of money he has already i just can't see him risking his career for what is a relatively small amount in relation to the amount of money he makes anyway.

I might be totally wrong and all the evidence points that way but just can't see what he is benefiting from doing this if its true?

taxman
02-05-2010, 14:41
Be interesting to see what transpires further on down the line. His excuse about fearing Russian mafia goons seems a bit far fetched. It would be a shame if it were true, I've always quite liked John Higgins.

grasscutter
02-05-2010, 14:41
Just greed. More shall want more.

Fudbeer
02-05-2010, 17:03
Well watching that video he did not look in the least bit uncomfortable.infact he seemed to be quite happy with the situation which makes me question his explenation.

HeadingNorth
02-05-2010, 18:04
but whichever match it was, he was breaking the law, it will be very interesting to see what the authorities do..

I'm not sure that it is against snooker's rules to tell someone you will throw a match. If you follow through with the claim and actually do so, it is; but there's no evidence he did that.

Clare85
02-05-2010, 18:35
It would be a shame if it were true, I've always quite liked John Higgins.

Yeah same here, I was pretty disappointed when I saw it all in the papers!

*Wallace*
02-05-2010, 18:38
He's bent as a nine bob note,i don't buy the scared for their lives line at all both look chilled out and relaxed.NOTW say this is the third meet they had to throw frames.

Fudbeer
02-05-2010, 19:55
He's bent as a nine bob note,i don't buy the scared for their lives line at all both look chilled out and relaxed.NOTW say this is the third meet they had to throw frames.

Exactly they are sat there talking at length about how they can make it happen and how he will hide the money does not wash with me at all.

If thats them scared for their lives then they deserve an oscar for acting.

Bloomdido
02-05-2010, 20:24
My mate says he missed an easy yellow to let Steve Davis back in. He commented on it at the time.

SiSiSi
02-05-2010, 21:53
Snooker must be one of the easiest sports to fix. The pro players are so good that it's easy for them to miss shots.

matsalleh
03-05-2010, 07:30
What worries me most about this is how a crappy paper just happen to have a reporter and hidden camera in the room at the right time.I smell a setup and a rat.
I hope he is proved to be not guilty,but even so I suspect his career will be finished as there will always be that in the back of our minds.
PS
I made this post from what BBC news were reporting late last night.I have just read more details,not so sure now.
But still hope I am wrong.

grafikhaus74
03-05-2010, 11:45
Snooker must be one of the easiest sports to fix. The pro players are so good that it's easy for them to miss shots.

I agree. No doubt today will be 'one of those nights at the Crucible' when it ends up 18-17.

Too many players coming back from the dead. Too many 'kicks'. As said, a very easy sport to manipulate. Oh, and who controls it all? Barry Hearn.

anywebsite
03-05-2010, 12:18
What worries me most about this is how a crappy paper just happen to have a reporter and hidden camera in the room at the right time.I smell a setup and a rat.
I hope he is proved to be not guilty,but even so I suspect his career will be finished as there will always be that in the back of our minds.
PS
I made this post from what BBC news were reporting late last night.I have just read more details,not so sure now.
But still hope I am wrong.

If you read the original story, they were clearly set up by the news of the world, the 'businessmen' were news of the world reporters. That's how they do their job.

However, if he was so innocent, he wouldn't have gone along with it at all, never mind discussed how he might hide the money.

Read the story & watch the video here: http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/news/801641/How-world-snooker-champion-John-Higgins-plots-to-betray-his-fans-for-cash.html

stewpot54
03-05-2010, 14:37
Why didn't he tell the snooker board about it when he was 'safely away'from these frightening people.
What a load of hogwash.I wonder how long this has been going on.He should be made to pay back all previous prize money when they find him guilty.As they surely will on the evidence available.

HeadingNorth
03-05-2010, 14:53
He should be made to pay back all previous prize money when they find him guilty

That makes no sense; he gets prize money for not throwing matches but winning them.

mossdog
03-05-2010, 18:38
My mate says he missed an easy yellow to let Steve Davis back in. He commented on it at the time.There was probably millions riding on the result of the Davis match,I must say I like a lot was surprised Davis won! think I have lost my enthusiasm for the sport now.

HeadingNorth
08-09-2010, 16:30
Breaking news today; Higgins cleared of all charges relating to taking a bribe, but he has been fined 75,000, and banned for six months, for bringing the sport into disrepute; in that he should have reported an illegal approach to him at the time it took place.

Unfortunately, the snooker authorities can't actually do anything about the illegal approach, and the police don't seem interested.

mossdog
08-09-2010, 18:00
Wow what an escape for John Higgins,Snooker can breathe again!........and we all thought you guilty as ****

HotPhil
08-09-2010, 18:03
Threads merged. When starting new threads please try to ensure that there's some content to the post and that a thread doesn't exist for it already.

BLADE8T1
08-09-2010, 19:50
Wow what an escape for John Higgins,Snooker can breathe again!........and we all thought you guilty as ****

But he was guilty as ****.Dont be fooled into thinking otherwise,Just because he has the best lawyers known to man.:suspect: .
I have mixed feelings on this,I love snooker and feel he is NEEDED still in the game,However what he did was bang out of order.Then again, He's not the first sport cheat,and certainly wont be the last.Its just a shame really.Didnt Quinten Hann get banned for 8 years for an identical offence?.I reckon if it was someone outside top 16 they would have had book thrown at them.But since its John,He's got a slapped wrist.

Fudbeer
08-09-2010, 22:02
Unbelievable!

So where are the answers to the following questions?

Where are the details of the threats made by the notw that made Higgins fear for his safety?

Why if he was scared for his safety did Higgins go on on to bragg about how easy it was to fix matches and then talk in detail about how he would cover the money up.

Why if Higgins new the match fixing was to come up just before the meeting did he not just leave the hotel?

Why did he not report it when he got back?

Would you not think that Higgins would denounce his then manager Mooney if he was set up by him?

Look I don't know whether Higgins planned to fix matches or not but I do know something in my opinion something is not right here.

HeadingNorth
08-09-2010, 22:08
Didnt Quinten Hann get banned for 8 years for an identical offence?

No. Hann actually threw matches. There's not a shred of evidence that Higgins ever has done, or ever intended to do so.

There's plenty of evidence that some journalists offered him bribes, but the police don't seem remotely interested in chasing that up.

mossdog
09-09-2010, 08:18
But he was guilty as ****.Dont be fooled into thinking otherwise,Just because he has the best lawyers known to man.:suspect: .
I have mixed feelings on this,I love snooker and feel he is NEEDED still in the game,However what he did was bang out of order.Then again, He's not the first sport cheat,and certainly wont be the last.Its just a shame really.Didnt Quinten Hann get banned for 8 years for an identical offence?.I reckon if it was someone outside top 16 they would have had book thrown at them.But since its John,He's got a slapped wrist.There could be some interesting scenes if he dares to turn up at the Crucible!

mossdog
09-09-2010, 08:20
I have mixed feelings on this,I love snooker and feel he is NEEDED still in the game,However what he did was bang out of order.Then again, He's not the first sport cheat,and certainly wont be the last.Its just a shame really.Didnt Quinten Hann get banned for 8 years for an identical offence?.I reckon if it was someone outside top 16 they would have had book thrown at them.But since its John,He's got a slapped wrist.Just shows how "bent" all sport has become!

Fudbeer
10-09-2010, 15:21
No. Hann actually threw matches. There's not a shred of evidence that Higgins ever has done, or ever intended to do so.

There's plenty of evidence that some journalists offered him bribes, but the police don't seem remotely interested in chasing that up.

All I know is I have seen Higgins confidently and in detail talk about fixing matches and have seen no evidence as to why he would have done this.

HeadingNorth
10-09-2010, 15:22
All I know is I have seen Higgins confidently and in detail talk about fixing matches and have seen no evidence as to why he would have done this.

Talking about such things would bring the game into disrepute - which, you might notice, he has been penalised for with a six-month ban.

There's no evidence that he has accepted any bribes, or thrown any matches or even single frames.

auto98uk
10-09-2010, 15:30
Amazing accusations from people who do not have all the details, unlike the body that actually suspended him.

HeadingNorth
10-09-2010, 17:08
Amazing accusations from people who do not have all the details, unlike the body that actually suspended him.

They are, perhaps, under the impression that the NotW report on the story comprises "all the details," and not "skewed reporting of an incident in order to dramatise the story as much as possible, and thereby sell lots of newspapers."

mossdog
10-09-2010, 18:16
Amazing accusations from people who do not have all the details, unlike the body that actually suspended him.Amazing post from someone who is supposed to be an assistant moderator but seems happy to post more than most!

Fudbeer
10-09-2010, 19:35
Well all I can say is I have seen the video and have since read nothing that to me explains why he said what he said.

HeadingNorth
10-09-2010, 21:49
Well all I can say is I have seen the video and have since read nothing that to me explains why he said what he said.

Assuming you weren't on the WPBSA tribunal, that is to be expected.