View Full Version : New tyres to the rear!

trebor1
07-03-2010, 17:41
I recently went to kwik fit to buy 2 new front tyres for my car, the chap there told me that it was now common practice for them to fit new tyres to the rear! Even though it is a front wheel drive car. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Tomm06
07-03-2010, 17:45
Depends.. do you need new tyres at the rear?

trebor1
07-03-2010, 17:49
no, it was the front tyres that had worn out.

gabby
07-03-2010, 17:50
Just say to them, "If I wanted new tyres at the rear, I'd have asked for them"

Eater Sundae
07-03-2010, 17:55
Just say to them, "If I wanted new tyres at the rear, I'd have asked for them"

Of course you are free to say that. But why would you want to?

http://www.etyres.co.uk/flashmovies/new-tyres-rear-etyres.htm

trebor1
07-03-2010, 17:55
Yes you`r right, ididn`t want them on the rear, think i`l go to another tyre shop instead.

Eater Sundae
07-03-2010, 17:56
or this.

http://www.michelin.co.uk/michelinuk/en/car-van-4x4/less-worn-tyres-rear/20070314172074.html

Eater Sundae
07-03-2010, 17:58
Yes you`r right, ididn`t want them on the rear, think i`l go to another tyre shop instead.

Its simple really. Why not ask them to move your current rear tyres to the front, and have the new ones fitted to the rear.

Tomm06
07-03-2010, 17:58
Its simple really. Why not ask them to move your current rear tyres to the front, and have the new ones fitted to the rear. Lol, brilliant, definatly do this!

trebor1
07-03-2010, 18:07
Hi. Thanks for your comments. Also many thanks to the links to michelin & etyres, their video & comments were very informative. Now if kwik fit had told me why they fit new to the rear then i wouldn`t have gone away confused.

Eater Sundae
07-03-2010, 18:16
Hi. Thanks for your comments. Also many thanks to the links to michelin & etyres, their video & comments were very informative. Now if kwik fit had told me why they fit new to the rear then i wouldn`t have gone away confused.

I was first told this 3 or 4 years ago when I was buying 2 new tyres. It was explained to me (tyres shop on Penistone Road, at the junction with Herries Road South). I went along with it, but was still unsure as its kind of counter intuitive, so I searched the web and found several articles confirming that this is the correct thing to do.

trebor1
07-03-2010, 18:22
I was first told this 3 or 4 years ago when I was buying 2 new tyres. It was explained to me (tyres shop on Penistone Road, at the junction with Herries Road South). I went along with it, but was still unsure as its kind of counter intuitive, so I searched the web and found several articles confirming that this is the correct thing to do.

it seems as if it`s the old school of motoring that want them on the front, but things change and so should we i suppose.

Dave650
07-03-2010, 18:53
Of course you are free to say that. But why would you want to?

http://www.etyres.co.uk/flashmovies/new-tyres-rear-etyres.htm

Cheers for the link, I've just put a new'n on the front think I'll swap it :D

Its simple really. Why not ask them to move your current rear tyres to the front, and have the new ones fitted to the rear.
I imagine that's what they were suggesting, perhaps the bloke advising didn't really know what he was on about and confused matters though.

Eater Sundae
07-03-2010, 18:59
<snip>

I imagine that's what they were suggesting, perhaps the bloke advising didn't really know what he was on about and confused matters though.

Yes, I reckon that was the case.

toploader
07-03-2010, 19:02
Far be it from me to disagree with the 'experts' at etyres and michelin, but....

What a load of cr@p!

My front tyres handle the steering and the power. THAT is where I want my best tyres.

Some boffin has, no doubt, been paid a fortune in grants to come up with this rubbish.

I don't buy it. No way. No how!

Dave650
07-03-2010, 19:04
Far be it from me to disagree with the 'experts' at etyres and michelin, but....

What a load of cr@p!

My front tyres handle the steering and the power. THAT is where I want my best tyres.

Some boffin has, no doubt, been paid a fortune in grants to come up with this rubbish.

Did you watch the video?
I'd naturally thought you'd want your best tyres at the front, not only cause it's fwd but bearing in mind weight distribution when braking too. However watching the video's changed my view a little.

max
07-03-2010, 19:09

What a load of cr@p!

That's the point of putting the new tyres on the back, you've more control over what's happening up front. Watch the video.

V.Rossi
07-03-2010, 19:12

It is actually very simple, that is quite likely what he meant (Although being kwik-fit I wouldn't be too sure) but yes, that is what most places actually do now, I've had it done on several occasions....

Regardless of that though, do yourself and your pocket (And your car for that matter) and go somewhere, anywhere, other than kwik fit....

probedb
07-03-2010, 19:13

What a load of cr@p!

I think in the dry you can argue this quite reasonably but it does change a lot in the wet.

Eater Sundae
07-03-2010, 19:20
I recall, many years ago, advice that if you were to mix radials and cross plies, then it must only ever be cross plies on the front and radials on the rear, and never the other way around. (Although it was better to stick with one type for both axles).

I wonder if this is a similar issue?

toploader
07-03-2010, 19:31
Yep...watched it twice.

Spot the similarity in the way she drove on those two tests.

She SOOOO deliberately spun the arse end on the second test, it was embarrassing. :hihi:

fiveof
07-03-2010, 19:36
if it isnt sideways, you're not trying hard enough :D

Eater Sundae
07-03-2010, 19:44

What a load of cr@p!

If you are right...

Why do you think they are peddling such rubbish? In whose interest is it to lie to us?

Streetfarce
07-03-2010, 20:11
Its rubbish,

Only in the most extreme circumstances and at ridiculous speeds, could you lose the back end of a FWD car. On the other hand, in the snowy conditions, you want the best tyres on the driven wheels, to increase the grip. Also in heavy rain, you want the best tyres on the front, with the deepest tread, otherwise you could aquaplane and lose your steering and braking ability.

Its just EU nanny state gone mad. . . .

MR-X
07-03-2010, 20:18
its a load f rubbish 2 make more money

Dave650
07-03-2010, 20:30
its a load f rubbish 2 make more money

:hihi: How does it make them any more money? They're instructing us to put our best two tyres to the rear of the car - all you need is a jack and a breaker bar.

PaymePal
07-03-2010, 20:38
What`s this forum coming to for fecks sake?

matt5985
07-03-2010, 20:39
you fit them on rear because you have control of the front and no control over the rear

Streetfarce
07-03-2010, 20:39
:hihi: How does it make them any more money? They're instructing us to put our best two tyres to the rear of the car - all you need is a jack and a breaker bar.

The next step is . . . .

Oh Perhaps I should have some new ones on the front too, cos those wheels, the ones which carry the majority of the car's weight, Which do the steering, Which transfer the power to the road, which also do the majority of the braking . . . Well I need good tyres on these wheels to , - Dont I ? Mr Kwik Fit Fitter ?

"Yes sir, and if you buy 4 tyres we'll knock a few quid off"

Yes I'd better, I dont want my car spinning out of control whilst taking Granny and the kids out do I ??

Think about it for a minute . . . .

Dave650
07-03-2010, 20:54
The next step is . . . .

Oh Perhaps I should have some new ones on the front too, cos those wheels, the ones which carry the majority of the car's weight, Which do the steering, Which transfer the power to the road, which also do the majority of the braking . . . Well I need good tyres on these wheels to , - Dont I ? Mr Kwik Fit Fitter ?

"Yes sir, and if you buy 4 tyres we'll knock a few quid off"

Yes I'd better, I dont want my car spinning out of control whilst taking Granny and the kids out do I ??

Think about it for a minute . . . .
You seriously think that's how it's aimed; Make up a study, instruct people to put their tyres in some random format and they'll no doubt get paranoid about their tyres and buy more?
If I raced the thing maybe I'd do the above, as it stands I might swap my new front tyre with a rear one and leave it at that ... cost to me ~ 10 minutes.

Maybe I'm one of the lucky one's who won't be affected by their masterplan.

matssundin13
07-03-2010, 20:56
Part of the logic is that the newer tyres displace more water. If they are on the front, they displace water, which the back has yet to go through.

If they are on the back, then the displaced water is behind you, therefore meaning you have less chance of losing control.

The tyre companies will make no money from this. It doesn't cost more to put the tyres on the back instead of the front!

mark@alpha
07-03-2010, 21:09
just wondering if anyone involved in this thread has heard of comet or currys ?????

Streetfarce
07-03-2010, 21:16
Part of the logic is that the newer tyres displace more water. If they are on the front, they displace water, which the back has yet to go through.

If they are on the back, then the displaced water is behind you, therefore meaning you have less chance of losing control.

The tyre companies will make no money from this. It doesn't cost more to put the tyres on the back instead of the front!

Sorry I don't follow this idea.

Unless your rear wheels do the steering, the front wheels will maintain better contact with the road, if the tread is able to disperse more water ie the tread is deeper. Aquaplaning Only ever happens where the front wheels lose contact with the road.

probedb
07-03-2010, 21:45
Sorry I don't follow this idea.

Unless your rear wheels do the steering, the front wheels will maintain better contact with the road, if the tread is able to disperse more water ie the tread is deeper. Aquaplaning Only ever happens where the front wheels lose contact with the road.

But you're not understanding what's going on. You can keep control of the front and feel much more when the front is going due to aquaplaning. Most people will have no idea that their rear end is on it's way out due to aquaplaning or how to regain control.

PaymePal
07-03-2010, 21:48
Anoraks or what? can`t get my breath

Tomm06
07-03-2010, 22:13
Its rubbish,

Only in the most extreme circumstances and at ridiculous speeds, could you lose the back end of a FWD car. On the other hand, in the snowy conditions, you want the best tyres on the driven wheels, to increase the grip. Also in heavy rain, you want the best tyres on the front, with the deepest tread, otherwise you could aquaplane and lose your steering and braking ability.

Its just EU nanny state gone mad. . . .

Exactly, unless you're driving... enthusiastically shall we say, your rear end (on a FWD car) isn't stepping out, unless you're not confident, and you lift off round a corner. Plus if you have huuge grip on the front, in the event of your back end stepping out, floor your car, and the front drive will bring it back in to check...unless it's on snow or ice, then no matter how much grip you have on the back wheels...you aint stopping.

smithy266
07-03-2010, 22:32
Having received advice from the community police that new tyres should be fitted to the rear, I contacted the NTDA: the National Tyre Distributors Association. A few years ago, the thought was new tyres on the front. Now, it is correct to advise new tyres to the rear. I had a really good telephone chat with the police, whose scenes of accidents investigators had come up with the latest reccomendations, these are sound. You just cannot argue with advice like this.

Leper
08-03-2010, 11:33
Front wheel drive cars need new tyres on the front if they are worn not on the rear.
The front wheels do the driving, the steering and about 80% of the braking. the rear wheels basically prop up the back end of the car and generally last twice as long as front tyres.

big_g
08-03-2010, 11:58
I always put the new tyres to the rear and move the rears to the front. Basically, it's much easier (for the average driver) to correct understeer rather than oversteer.

Another argument for putting the new rubber on the rear is so that you don't get stale rubber on the back. If you keep the same tyres on the back, they could last for absolute ages. Rubber deteriates(sp) over time.

G

vwkittie
08-03-2010, 14:32
I would put new tyres on the front as the front tyres are an incredibly important part of the braking system as I think that being able to stop in a hurry when the inevitable child runs out in front of you is the most important thing (they would dent my car after all!).

Driving a small, light fwd car the chances of me losing the back end to such a bad degree are very slim indeed but the chances of needing to stop effectively are very high.

Agreed about the 'stale' tyres point however, that is something to watch out for.

In reality though I have always replaced my tyres in matching sets of four. Tyres aren't something that anyone should take for granted, they're one of the very most important parts of the car afterall! I never buy cheap ones either.