Cat wee smell in my living room, but I don't have a cat!!

I've been going crazy since I got home after work! I can smell cat urine - an undertone in the downstairs of my house, but I haven't got a cat!!!

I have sniffed everywhere and can't locate where it's stronger. What could this be? There's a cat flap in our back door but I've checked and there's no way a cat could get in as we secured it years ago.

Horror!!!:confused::gag::suspect::huh:

Have u got any plants in your living room at all? Sometimes they omit funny odours. Hope you find where its coming from, I hate funny smells.

I've been going crazy since I got home after work! I can smell cat urine - an undertone in the downstairs of my house, but I haven't got a cat!!!

I have sniffed everywhere and can't locate where it's stronger. What could this be? There's a cat flap in our back door but I've checked and there's no way a cat could get in as we secured it years ago.

Horror!!!:confused::gag::suspect::huh:

sometimes singeing electrical wiring can cause an ammonia-type smell!

this happened to me when my power shower electrics needed rewiring :)

Perhaps a pussy has been in and done a wee when you have had the door open, and ran out again quick!

have you had something brought in from outside where a cat could get to it my mom had this problem a few yrs back she used to put her trolley in the downstairs toilet which is outside when she had used it she put it under the stairs and that was an awful smell but was worse when the heating come on or if you had been out she got rid of the trolley and my dad fitted an external door to the porch. i also found that the blue lenor gave this smell out when on the radiators that mite just be my nose :)

I'd agree with the wiring, it happened to us a few years ago, I could smell urine really strongly upstairs, but our toilet was downstairs! It turned out the wiring was burning out (can't remember if it was a light socket or power point now!)

I've removed the roses in the front room, opened the window, closed the window, checked the electrics, smelt everywhere again.... the smell's still here!

Really hope it's not an animal that's passed away in some obscure crevice of my house. Can you imagine!!!!

With the wiring, how can you check if it's burning out? Is it a job for an electrician?

I do have washing on the radiators but it smells nice close up.

If anyone could see me now sniffing everywhere...

have you had something brought in from outside where a cat could get to it my mom had this problem a few yrs back she used to put her trolley in the downstairs toilet which is outside when she had used it she put it under the stairs and that was an awful smell but was worse when the heating come on or if you had been out she got rid of the trolley and my dad fitted an external door to the porch. i also found that the blue lenor gave this smell out when on the radiators that mite just be my nose :)

Ah! that's just reminded me! A few years ago, I had a shopping trolley and parked it outside my back door, full of shopping, whilst I took my coat off and put the kettle on etc. Un-known to me, a cat had peed on it, and I couldn't get rid of the smell, had to chuck it away!

Does your husband like a drink?

My brother does and has widdled in the linen basket, wardrobe and strangely in the kitchen bin

Does your husband like a drink?

My brother does and has widdled in the linen basket, wardrobe and strangely in the kitchen bin

That was where my first accusation was thrown! Ha! But no he doesn't drink at home and he hasn't been back yet today.

This may sound like a very off the wall suggestion, but do you have a fruit bowl with fruit in in the room?

There are a few species of melon (small honeydew types) which smell startlingly like cat wee.