View Full Version : How to go about getting a crb check without paying?

Honey247
20-02-2010, 19:28
I need one, well i want one so will help me get jobs as so many ask for one already..

boyfriday
20-02-2010, 19:43
I need one, well i want one so will help me get jobs as so many ask for one already..

I think most jobs where a crb check is required the employer will foot the bill for it and also want to request it.

fluffystuff
20-02-2010, 19:46
I think most jobs where a crb check is required the employer will foot the bill for it and also want to request it.

otherwise, you would have to pay for it yourself

mike84
20-02-2010, 19:47

You can't, and you can't request your own. Only employers can request them. The only way to get one is apply for a job where you need one. Even then, if you change jobs you have to have another one done.

If potential employers are asking for one and are not prepared to pay for a check doing they are bending the rules, they couldn't ever say that your crb is real.

This situation has led to me having 5 checks done in 7 years!

Winder
20-02-2010, 19:48
Don't bother wasting your time, most employers will insist on performing their own CRB check anyway as there are issues with portabiliity -for example, the CRB check must have been done in the last three months.

Depending on which job you're applying for you'll probably still have to pay for another CRB check should they offer you the job anyway.

honeyb35
20-02-2010, 19:50
As above, they aren't interchangable. I'm currently having 2 done at the same time, for different reasons!

Honey247
20-02-2010, 19:53
Thanks guys. Im just wanting one for babysitting, im not sure on these new laws but if you look after someone else child you require something similar? any ideas...

boyfriday
20-02-2010, 20:01
otherwise, you would have to pay for it yourself

Indeed, I was speculating that an employer may want to instigate the check themselves, as others have pointed out.

Sharp87
20-02-2010, 20:51
pretty sure you can apply for your own. you could 2 years ago anyway. how much does it cost? they wanted 40 off me, i stalled and stalled and stalled and eventually quit my job :hihi: perfect if you are self employed.

NorthernStar
20-02-2010, 21:13
http://www.crb.homeoffice.gov.uk/using_the_website/application_process.aspx#whocan

I work freelance and have needed my crb for two different organizations so far, however I get a lot of work through an agency who are named as employer on my certificate.

Bloomdido
20-02-2010, 21:37
It says on the website that a third party has to apply so Honey248 would have to get a CRB via every person that she babysits for? It can't be?

Cheapest option is through volunteering. it would cost nothing. I am supposed to get mine renewed although it is a bit of a contentious issue as I am not working directly with any children or vulnerable adults. I have just got lumbered with Jury service. Don't suppose that will do as proof instead?

Honey247
21-02-2010, 00:44
awww thanks for your help people.. :)

Shef_Fitness
21-02-2010, 10:15

If you are applying for some jobs (especially through Agencys) then you have to foot the bill. Many CRBs are not transferable, and so in the case of me with Teaching, I had to have another CRB check last week, as the one I had in January 2010 was not transferable.

Obviously, as I haven't murdered anyone since 10th Jan 2010, the enhanced CRB is clear, however the cost is getting beyond a joke (38 per month) and is more expensive than Car Tax.

I do think CRBs should be free, or even perhaps have a "buy one, get one free" because in this day and age, forking out 38 to prove you are not a mass murderer is a joke.

I think the worst one for me was in 2004, when I began to run fitness classes in Gyms and because I got 4 new different classes in 4 gyms in one month, I had 4 CRBs. Luckily for me, the gyms footed these, however employers cannot be expected to foot the cost of these checks forever. As the cost increases, and you need more CRBs to prove your not a criminal I believe the cost will have to be met by individuals themselves