View Full Version : How many weeks annual leave should we get by law?

greeneyes28
17-02-2010, 13:46
Just wondering how many days/weeks we should get by law?

My new job says 4 weeks is what we get but ive been told we should get 25days which works out 5 weeks...

Cheers

JFKvsNixon
17-02-2010, 13:47
Just wondering how many days/weeks we should get by law?

My new job says 4 weeks is what we get but ive been told we should get 25days which works out 5 weeks...

Cheers

Do your 20 days include bank holidays?

greeneyes28
17-02-2010, 13:48
no it doesnt

truman
17-02-2010, 13:49
I think it's 20 days plus bank hols..or 28 days if you work bank hols..Have a look here (http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/Employees/Timeoffandholidays/DG_10029788)

auto98uk
17-02-2010, 13:52
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/Employees/Timeoffandholidays/DG_10029788

There is a minimum right to paid holiday, but your employer may offer more than this. The main things you should know about holiday rights are that:

* you are entitled to a minimum of 5.6 weeks paid annual leave (28 days for someone working five days a week)
* part-time workers are entitled to the same level of holiday pro rata (so 5.6 times your usual working week, eg 22.4 days for someone working four days a week)
* you start building up holiday as soon as you start work
* your employer can control when you take your holiday
* you get paid your normal pay for your holiday
* when you finish a job, you get paid for any holiday you have not taken
* bank and public holidays can be included in your minimum entitlement
* you continue to be entitled to your holiday leave throughout your ordinary and additional maternity leave and paternity and adoption leave

Note that Bank Holidays, if you have them off, count towards this amount unless otherwise written into your contract

Tripitaka
17-02-2010, 13:52
Technically, if employed full time, 5 days a week, you are entitled to 5.6 weeks holiday or 28 days. However..... this can also include bank holidays, which is what most firms will include to make sure it gets to 28 days.

JFKvsNixon
17-02-2010, 13:53
no it doesnt

There's your answer then, 20 days and bank holidays takes you over the legal minimum.

Cynic
17-02-2010, 14:30
Lots of places seems to give the minimum holidays (20 days plus bank holidays) and longer hours than normal (9-6 + regular unpaid overtime). The place I work does this. I bet they would get better work out of people if they were more generous and you didn't feel like a slave to the job.

Alcoblog
17-02-2010, 16:52
I'd advocate 52 weeks with bank holidays! :)

Aries22
17-02-2010, 17:21
I'd advocate 52 weeks with bank holidays! :)

That's exactly what l get.

daisy2
17-02-2010, 21:46
Whilst you may be entitled to bank holidays there is no compunction for employers to pay you for these.

md25
17-02-2010, 21:54
Whilst you may be entitled to bank holidays there is no compunction for employers to pay you for these.They certainly have to pay you for working on bank holidays - what they don't have to do is give you double time, time off in lieu, or anything fun like that.

Binsniffer
17-02-2010, 22:06
That's exactly what l get.

ARRRRRRGHHHHH BENEFIT SCROUNGER........

Or Retired...

Either way, Usual suspects... ATTACK.....

Only jokin Aries22.. :hihi::hihi:

Alcoblog
17-02-2010, 22:28
Whilst you may be entitled to bank holidays there is no compunction for employers to pay you for these.

Works differently if you're self employed. I quadruple my pay and buy myself nice prezzies:D

BananaSplit
17-02-2010, 22:36
How many bank holidays are there in a year?

Good Friday
Easter Monday
May Day
Spring Bank
August
Xmas Day
Boxing Day
New Years Day

Is that it or are there more?

truman
18-02-2010, 10:02
How many bank holidays are there in a year?

Good Friday
Easter Monday
May Day
Spring Bank
August
Xmas Day
Boxing Day
New Years Day

Is that it or are there more?

That's it..8 of them which brings the total minimum no. of holidays to 28...

biotechpete
18-02-2010, 10:11
Yep I'd go with 20 + bank holidays as the legal minimum.

But I get 33 + bankhols. :P

Coco79
25-03-2010, 18:18
help, I work monday to friday, i do 39 hours and have done for the past year, my employer is saying that i am only entitled to 15 days and paid bank holidays.Which is 3 of my working weeks. Or that I can have 4 weeks/20 days and not get paid for my bank holiday. I also have 11 days left of this year that she has refused to let me take and telling me to use the days for my holiday in may. I am confused. All i want to know is how many days off am i allowed. She is trying to rip me off and then play dumb when i question her saying that her accountant has told her this :(

Thorpist
25-03-2010, 19:21
Could anyone enlighten me as to wether holidays are accrued whilst off work due to sickness.
If a person had a month off would they then lose 1/12 of there entitlement ?

Dozy
25-03-2010, 19:34
help, I work monday to friday, i do 39 hours and have done for the past year, my employer is saying that i am only entitled to 15 days and paid bank holidays.Which is 3 of my working weeks. Or that I can have 4 weeks/20 days and not get paid for my bank holiday. I also have 11 days left of this year that she has refused to let me take and telling me to use the days for my holiday in may. I am confused. All i want to know is how many days off am i allowed. She is trying to rip me off and then play dumb when i question her saying that her accountant has told her this :(

Have a look at the ACAS (http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1461) website - if you can't find the answers you need, just give them a ring, 08457 47 47 47.

Sounds like your employer is trying to use her accountant as an excuse not to give you the holiday you're entitled to! But it's up to her to find out what's what, she can't blame her accountant for telling her the wrong thing.

Cyclone
25-03-2010, 19:39
There's your answer then, 20 days and bank holidays takes you over the legal minimum.

Correction, takes you exactly to the minimum.

Cyclone
25-03-2010, 19:41
Could anyone enlighten me as to wether holidays are accrued whilst off work due to sickness.
If a person had a month off would they then lose 1/12 of there entitlement ?

They are still accrued.

Coco79
26-03-2010, 07:09
thankyou for the information, i believe I am entitled to 28 days, (20 days plus 8 bank holidays) from what I have been reading on here! and other websites. So technically she is trying to do me out of a week! I am going to put it to her today that if she wants to give me less holiday pay then i will work less hours and see how that goes down like a lead ballooon! as there are only herself and I that work there. :D