Tray of cockles or mussles

As a kid i can remember going into the fish market on a saturday morning with my old man and having a little dish of cockles with vinegar and a pinch of pepper. Did anyone else have this ritual?:)

I used to go for either cockles or whelks. The stall was T.Whittington & its still there & do still call occasionally for some. Also remember having some tripe from the stall opposite.

Love cockells love mussels hate welks with a passion one of the very few foods I detest

I used to go every Saturday with my mother in the 60s when I was a little lad and have WHELKS! They took me ages to chew and afterwards she`d buy me two pigs trotters, two crabs and a bag of tripe to take home with me.

I used to spend the rest of the day stuffing myself- who needs sweeties when you can eat stuff like that???

Remember how they used to sell cockles etc from trays in pubs? Also remember buying raw peeled and hopefully washed mushrooms in a pub in town, possibly the Wapentake. Spent many a happy hour or so in the Castle Market drinking milkshake and then eating cockles and having to buy "cow heel bits" for my gran.

There used to be a guy called Vinny who sold all manner of seafood around the Mosborough, Hackenthorpe areas, anybody remember him?

I can remember,when I was a little lad, a chap coming round the social club on Saturday nights with bags of cockles...

There used to be a guy called Vinny who sold all manner of seafood around the Mosborough, Hackenthorpe areas, anybody remember him?

Vinny Lax.........He does the badges at football matches.

I used to do this, the plates were very small and you had to stand up.

Nice though !

cockles and mussles man came in new inn holinsend rd other saturday havnt seen one for years