How to get a car with no tax or MOT to a garage?

Hi

My car is out of MOT and tax (declared off road since last year), I have just passed my test and need to get it to a garage for an MOT and probable repairs, then back to my grandma's drive where it currently lives, until I insure and tax it. How can I do this legally?

If you're going for an MOT I think it's OK to drive straight to the garage (so long as the test is pre-booked) but you must have insurance....

as truman says ..........

oh bobbar no insurance either will cost a bomb to insure it even monthly after ive paid the deposit. arrgh! are you allowed to tow or would it have to be on a transporter otherwise?

oh bobbar no insurance either will cost a bomb to insure it even monthly after ive paid the deposit. arrgh! are you allowed to tow or would it have to be on a transporter otherwise?

I think it will have to be insured (somehow) to be towed...so you'll need a trailer..

There are plenty of garages that will come and fetch it, tow it like.

I don't have any numbers but the mother had to do this, it's no problem for them.

Good luck.

Or get the AA to take you, which they will but will be a joining fee ect.

This from the DVLA website:

Driving an untaxed vehicle to an MOT test

You can drive your vehicle to and from a pre-arranged test at an MOT test station as long as you have adequate insurance cover in place for the use of that vehicle.

This is also for vehicles being driven to and from a pre-arranged test at a Vehicle Inspection Check (VIC) test station, an approved weight testing station and reduced pollution test.

This from the DVLA website:

Driving an untaxed vehicle to an MOT test

You can drive your vehicle to and from a pre-arranged test at an MOT test station as long as you have adequate insurance cover in place for the use of that vehicle.

This is also for vehicles being driven to and from a pre-arranged test at a Vehicle Inspection Check (VIC) test station, an approved weight testing station and reduced pollution test.

It's the lack of tax and insurance that's the problem

No just lack of insurance, read the post you quoted.

Don't need tax to do this otherwise it'd be a catch22 situation...

I've always wondered why it's ok to drive to a TEST centre,with no MOT in a car that could be a death trap.Surely no MOT should mean you can't drive it under any circumstances.If it needs to go somewhere it should be put on a Transporter.

I've always wondered why it's ok to drive to a TEST centre,with no MOT in a car that could be a death trap.

It does still have to be insured. I think it's just a compromise; the cost of making everybody use a transporter to get the MoT centre would outweigh the benefits. Or at least, the perceived benefits; if any one person is killed by an MoT-less car being driven to a test centre, the family of that person will never be persuaded by such an argument. Raw numbers are fine for looking at things objectively, but they don't cut much weight with the directly involved.