View Full Version : Whose cat is a house cat?

elenab
06-02-2010, 16:14
I was just wondering how many of you, if any have kept their kittens as house cats and not let them outside? ours is not old enough to go out yet and wont be going anywhere until she is spayed, but at the moment the thought is terrifying and even the vet said she advised for her not to be let out! the roade outside our house is fairly busy which is our main worry... so do cats who stay inside have a good quality of life or not?
Thanksx

aberdeen
06-02-2010, 16:27
We have 2 cats, one is a moggy and the other a Maine Coon.

They started life as flat cats going out (accompanied )on a balcony and were quite happy.

We now live in a house, but they are never allowed further than the garden, even then one of us is always there to keep and eye on them.

We would never have a minutes peace if they were out, as we also live on a busy road.

I believe if they have always had that lifestyle than they won't know any difference, but it must be started as a kitten, you can't change midstream.

I know I'm biased but I'd say let them out as far as the garden If you can keep them safe.

elenab
06-02-2010, 16:32
if we let her out in the garden she would be off, as we back onto a park and we also have chickens so there would be too much temptation and she is very inquisitive.
she has the run of the house which isnt small, chases our dog round and vice versa for hours and had plenty of toys so we think she will be ok. just wanted advice of others who do the same? we havent let her out so far and dont plan to so like u say, she wont know any different. xx

aberdeen
06-02-2010, 16:51
Good decision elenab, sounds like she'll have plenty of indoor stimulation!!

She'll be fine and you'll be a a lot less worried.

Nik Nak
06-02-2010, 17:01
I changed midway with one of my cats after I lost 2 others through theft and unknown reasons, I'm thinking was probably run over but we've never found her body. My last remaining cat is perfectly happy to be a house cat now, he never really seemed to like going out in the first place. I suppose it all depends on the cat, my other 2 just wouldn't stay in, they used to go and sit on the window sill and miaow until I let them out.

Dozy
06-02-2010, 17:15
We have 2 cats, one is a moggy and the other a Maine Coon.

They started life as flat cats going out (accompanied )on a balcony and were quite happy.

We now live in a house, but they are never allowed further than the garden, even then one of us is always there to keep and eye on them.

We would never have a minutes peace if they were out, as we also live on a busy road.

I believe if they have always had that lifestyle than they won't know any difference, but it must be started as a kitten, you can't change midstream.

I know I'm biased but I'd say let them out as far as the garden If you can keep them safe. My bold

Mine did!! We live on a busy main road and our cats were very sensible and never went near it, just the gardens at the back. Then we got William Henry, who didn't have the sense of a gnat! After a near miss, they were all grounded.

We cat-proofed the garden, so they could still go out, but were safe. As the cats got older, they got less and less keen on going out. As soon as they were in the garden, they'd moan to come back in (they had to be carried out). So they turned themselves into house cats and were perfectly happy. Though George, my last cat, suddenly got the urge to go out on a couple of occasions - I went out with him and he just sniffed round the garden a bit, there was no way he could have got out, although the cat-proofing had been removed, because the walls were too high for him.

Some cats are very much outdoors creatures, others aren't bothered. I think if you start with a kitten, then it doesn't know any better and will probably be perfectly happy indoors, as long as it gets plenty of play so it can get exercise and stimulation.

Edit: I typed the last paragraph before I read your post which said "she has the run of the house which isnt small, chases our dog round and vice versa for hours and had plenty of toys so we think she will be ok." I don't know why that post of yours wasn't showing on the thread, but SF is being a bit weird with me at the moment - it keeps making me log in every time I want to post!

Lotti
06-02-2010, 17:27
Ours were always allowed out (I didn't actually have any choice as they were mum's) but Smitch is now 11 and chooses not to go out. She has a litter tray inside (because she stopped bothering to go out for the toilet!) and likes the easy life!

I'm much happier now she's an indoor cat but also quite happy she chose to be that way!

Snagglepuss
06-02-2010, 19:08
All 3 of my cats are house cats and I have had house cats for years.

spiritangel1
06-02-2010, 20:09
all my cats have been and are house cats to be honest they well i only got jessica now showed not the slightest interest in goin out,shes happy to sit in the window and watch the world go by and hopefully when i get another that will be a house cat too

SpeedDemon
06-02-2010, 20:15
We have a moggie who goes out, and a ragdoll & maine coon who both stay in. We had the moggie first. I wish now that I'd kept him as an indoor cat but now he's so used to going out, he screams to be let out. I don't think I'll ever have an outdoor cat again. It comes down to personal choice, where you live, the risks etc. I've lost 1 on the road and 2 thru unknown causes, possibly poisoning & 2 thru the silly old man up the road who keeps taking my cats in and feeding them so they eventually stayed with him.

sheff290
06-02-2010, 23:01
i am having the same problem deciding if to let narla out well snarla as we call her she is my autistic boys cat and if anything happens to her he would be so upset, i dont know if i could take the risk to be honest, and there is that many cat aggressive dogs round where i live i dont think i can, well i suppose she has 5 mastiffs to stick up for her, i really cant see us letting her out but on the other hand i dont know if i want a litter tray in the house for ever i cant decide

mary70
07-02-2010, 09:44
I have a 5 month old kitten and she has never been out and i have no intention of letting her out, she does make a dash for the door if she sees it open but i am hoping she grows out of that, in a way i am dreading the summer and not being able to have doors and windows open any idea would be fab

aberdeen
07-02-2010, 10:50
mary, what about a mesh screening, we looked at them when we were moving into our house. Can't remember exactly how it works or where we saw them (sorry not very helpful) but I seem to recall that they can be fitted to a door frame so may be good for a back door. There were several websites.

Tess
07-02-2010, 11:10
Mine is but not because we made her - she is too scared to go more than about 10 yards from the house!

EdnaKrabappe
07-02-2010, 11:51
i have two house cats. One has no desire to be let out at all the other will if i give her the chance and she's in that mood but then she gets out and doesn't really like it!
They are fine. Think two are better than one though for company.

the_rudeboy
07-02-2010, 12:05
All our three cats go out. One doesn't tend to venture much further than the garden and the other two like to explore the fields and woodland opposite. The nearest busy road is quite a distance away and outside their territory.

Dronfieldcat
07-02-2010, 16:55
We made the decision not to let our 2 cats out when they were kittens. I had many cats as a kid, and most got run over, even on quieter roads. I initially intended on ours going out, but got too attached and couldn't bear the thought of one dying on the roads.

They probably require more stimulation, so need lots of love and games from you. and we also got a hooded litter tray with a catlap (our best purchase!) which meant no more nasty litter smells. I think if they havent ever been out, they dont miss it.

foxyflugel
07-02-2010, 17:47
We made the decision not to let our 2 cats out when they were kittens. I had many cats as a kid, and most got run over, even on quieter roads. I initially intended on ours going out, but got too attached and couldn't bear the thought of one dying on the roads.

They probably require more stimulation, so need lots of love and games from you. and we also got a hooded litter tray with a catlap (our best purchase!) which meant no more nasty litter smells. I think if they havent ever been out, they dont miss it.

I would agree with this. All my 6 are house cats (4 rescues + 2 siamese) they are all very contented and never hang around the door wanting/waiting to go out. That said, I have had all mine from kittens and they don't know anything else. I did, however, think that it would be healthier for them to have fresh air - so when I had the downstairs toilet built I gave the builder a catflap to fit - then built a big pen. Before, I had a pen on the yard and I put them in, took them out etc - but this is better cos if they want to go out they go out and if not, they don't. Mine love it. I would rather not have cats at all than let them out because our first cat got run over at 18 months old and it was totally devastating. I don't agree with the 'got to let them take their chances and have a life' views, I would rather keep mine safe, not only from cars, but from the idiots that unfortunately frequent the streets thesedays and hurt animals for a thrill.

shorty558
08-02-2010, 09:25
When we got our first cat we lived in a flat, we rescued him so he was used to being outside and hated being cooped up!

We moved house and got a cat harness and extendable lead, he was attatched to the washing line and enjoyed basking in the sun when we were in the garden.

After we got Alvin our kitten, he and marmalade stayed in doors from then. However when we recently moved to our new house we started letting them out and they adored it, even lost some weight.

However sadly last Saturday out baby Alvin, got run over outside of our house, we miss him loads, so now Marmalde is back to being an indoor cat.

Cats love being outside but it's sooooo much safer for them inside as long as you spend time with them and play with them, weve even grown cat grass so he can have a chew.

P.S the vet advised us when asked when we could collect Alvin, that the crematorium do 2 trips per week as there are many cats killed by the road.

monkeyness
08-02-2010, 12:01
Mine are mainly house cats but occasional evening and at weekends they go out into the field at the back of our house.

They never wander far as they were trained to stay in the garden.

If i dare shut the door they stand there screaming lol.

Starlet83
08-02-2010, 12:06
Mums cats are a mixture, one has to be kept in at all costs, through the winter she spends most of her time in the conservatory she has a cat gym and loves it, through the summer she has an outdoor run which she also seems happy , if she gets out she goes back to her old address, she had to be rehomed from there as she was shot at twice and had two pellets removed from her neck and rump. The others do as they please, the younger two dont venture out of the garden much, and the other two dont go out of eatshot, they are always back within a minute or two of being called. I think if they have enough sitmulation then they will be more than happy indoors.

vwkittie
08-02-2010, 12:35
My tom cat was trying to get out from day one, he would never be happy as a house cat. Luckily we don't live near a busy road, but he does roll about in the road like an idiot :roll: You would think he'd know better as he had been clipped by a car when he was taken to the shelter, still has a little scar and a chipped fang!

It's handy too as we don't have to pack them off to a cattery if we go away for a short time, just get someone to pop in and replenish their food.

The bad bit is they bring in dead things, have to be wormed/deflea'd a lot, and we had to buy an expensive Pet porte to keep this nasty bully cat out!

I think for us the benefit to the cats of being able to go out, especially as we work all day, outweighs the risks to them.... but if we lived right by a busy main road it would be different.

k8ndaz
08-02-2010, 12:45
hi we have 7 cats. my friend has moved in with us bringing her 4 (we had 3) and all of her 4 were house cats, 3 female and one male. they lived on an extremely busy road and next to tram route too and didnt seem fair for them to be let out. to combat this problem my friend's dad built what is best described as an aivery with contained walk way which can be entered through a cat flap at the side of the back door. only two of the cats used this. now they live here with us the tom cat (they've all been neutered) is a frequent in n out cat now. we have a conservatory under their window in which he thuds down on goes for his wander n jumps back up. the others are real happy at stopping in the room :D all my 3 cats go out most days.

Plain Talker
08-02-2010, 16:22
My tom cat was trying to get out from day one, he would never be happy as a house cat. Luckily we don't live near a busy road, but he does roll about in the road like an idiot :roll: You would think he'd know better as he had been clipped by a car when he was taken to the shelter, still has a little scar and a chipped fang!<snip>

My ex husband had a cat called Georgie, some years ago.

Georgie was, shall we say, a little, erm, "Challenged", when it came to the brains department.

His favourite stunt was to sit/lay in the middle of the road, unconcernedly having a wash, as cars and vans were fast approaching.... :o

Sadly, as you can imagine, he didn't make "old-bones" :(

Impecunious
09-02-2010, 01:39
The cat I grew up with (My Mum and Dad's cat) is most definately an outdoor cat. She has a cat flap leading into the porch and comes and goes as she pleases. There is no way you could keep her inside the house indefinitely...she would go crackers!! That said, she does like a nice snooze on the beds from time to time!!

katkin
09-02-2010, 12:56
Until 2003, all my cats were allowed out and we had a cat flap but when our old moggies passed away and we finally decided to get a few pedigrees, things had to change.

Most breeders want their babies to go to indoor homes only so we had to think long and hard about the commitment and what it would mean for us and our cats. A whole lot of cat litter, for starters! Actually, we adapted to owning house cats pretty well and so have our cats and kittens. Even the strays we took in as fosters and adopted, have settled in nicely to being totally indoor cats.

The trick is to give them the full run of the house, plenty of places to play, sleep and explore and lots of stimulus to burn off all that energy. We installed climbing frames, high perches, litter trays around the house rather than all in one place to avoid any territorial disputes and we're always on the lookout for new fun toys to keep them happy. Considering they also live happily alongside a daft doberman and we own some of the liveliest breeds (Bengals, an Oriental, Norwegian Forest Cats, a Maine Coon and 3 moggies), life is never dull but our lot seem content in our 4-storey home.

They are safe, can look forward to long, healthy lives and they bond much more closely with us humans - I suppose we are the centre of their universe. I used to think it was cruel to keep a cat indoors but as Ive stated before, I've had cats go missing, get killed by traffic, dogs, people. theyve been strangled, poisoned, shot and catapulted... At least our gang are safe inside now.

djelibeybi
09-02-2010, 20:19
I have a 5 month old kitten and she has never been out and i have no intention of letting her out, she does make a dash for the door if she sees it open but i am hoping she grows out of that, in a way i am dreading the summer and not being able to have doors and windows open any idea would be fab

I have two house cats who were rescues. They've been house cats ever since they were born and know no different, but during the summer months I'm able to have the windows open safely as I have wooden frames with thick wire mesh tacked securely to them over my windows. My windows are single glazed wood framed, so I attached them using hinges so I can easily open and close them to access the windows.

My two are well happy being kept in, and I ensure they have enough toys and every now and then I move all the furniture round just to keep them inquisitive!

I believe that with the right stimulation, cats can make great pets confined to quarters!

paul689
05-03-2010, 22:22
my cat is not geting on with the new dog anyone help the best way that they can get on the cat is 3 and the dog is 7 month

gloriagrace
06-03-2010, 11:34
Im in the same predicament! I had, until Aug last year a Siamese who never went out as the breeder advised againsed it. She never knew any different and was fine with it. In the summer we used to put her harness on and take her out in the garden.

We have since lost our baby and just got an Oriental who is compleatley different! Far more lively and is desperate to go out! Im not sure she will be happy staying indoors. Im torn as I want her to be happy but also safe. I terrified someone will take her!