View Full Version : Anyone know the age limit of the opposite sex siblings to share a bedroom??

Rabbit23
04-02-2010, 10:03
Does anyone know the age limit of the opposite sex siblings sharing a bedroom??

x-GiGgLeS-x
04-02-2010, 10:05
I think its 10 but someone once told me it was getting reduced to 7 whether that has happened or not I do not know

Rabbit23
04-02-2010, 10:10
I'm not quite sure either but i heard the same that it was getting reduced, trying to find out for a friend because she'll be in this situation soon.

ksheff2
04-02-2010, 10:10
Definitely 10.
I asked at the housing the other week. Mind you, by the time my son reaches 10, they will have upped it to 12.
It did used to be 8 at one time.

The demand for 3 bed properties is so huge and there aren't enough of them. (Maybe something to do with demolishing thousands of homes and not enough rebuilds? :/ )

You might be really lucky like I was, and be told that you and your oh have to sleep on your living room floor.

horribleblob
04-02-2010, 10:14
I didn't realise there was an age limit laid down in law. Surely it's up to the parents to decide according to circumstances? I assume, though, that with social housing, parents can ask for a home with more bedrooms once their children reach a certain age.

den37
04-02-2010, 10:17
think its up to parents i have girl and boy and it was about 10 yrs when we got a 3 bed thats why we moved as i had a two bed before that

rubydazzler
04-02-2010, 10:17
It's not actually a limit as such, is it? Just that you can claim your home is overcrowded and apply for a larger house if you're a council tenant, I thought. Obviously if you're a homeowner, no-ones going to give you a larger house just because you have too many children for the space you have available.

Afaik, no-one's going to come along and prosecute you for having siblings sharing a room after a certain age, so don't worry too much.

x-GiGgLeS-x
04-02-2010, 10:19
Im sure that social services could make it a issue if your children are sharing a room and in their eyes too old to do so.

HeadingNorth
04-02-2010, 10:19
I didn't realise there was an age limit laid down in law. Surely it's up to the parents to decide according to circumstances? I assume, though, that with social housing, parents can ask for a home with more bedrooms once their children reach a certain age.

You assume correctly, and no, it's not a legal limit; in that you can't (so far as I know) be prosecuted because your 14-year-old daughter and 12-year-old son share a bedroom.

If you're in council housing, the council has an obligation to find you a larger property in that position.

x-GiGgLeS-x
04-02-2010, 10:22
You assume correctly, and no, it's not a legal limit; in that you can't (so far as I know) be prosecuted because your 14-year-old daughter and 12-year-old son share a bedroom.

If you're in council housing, the council has an obligation to find you a larger property in that position.

I think social services would not allow this because of private parts of children etc an things. I maybe wrong but Im sure they wouldnt be happy with it

ksheff2
04-02-2010, 10:23
Yes, sure you can carry on and allow your boys/girls to share a bedroom, but in the eyes of the law as you say, they should be separated.
Many people, (myself included) live in a 2 bedroomed property and have no choice but to have their kids share a bedroom.
Because there aren't enough 3 bed properties, the council, like I mentioned before, are telling parents to use living room/dining room floors as beds.

Rabbit23
04-02-2010, 11:00
Well i'm pregnant myself and now the midwife's are starting to home visit to see where the baby will be sleeping. I know opposite sex siblings can't share a room within a certain age limit because of the simple fact they begin to experiment and that's why they need to be seperated.

ksheff2
04-02-2010, 11:05
Well i'm pregnant myself and now the midwife's are starting to home visit to see where the baby will be sleeping. I know opposite sex siblings can't share a room within a certain age limit because of the simple fact they begin to experiment and that's why they need to be seperated.

How many other kids do you have?

I have 3 kids, all under 10 and Ive never known my midwives checking out the bedrooms and showing concern over mine having to share.

You really should see the housing, because they do tend to chop and change their rules and regulations to suit themselves.

lubylou
04-02-2010, 11:07
Good luck with this cos my son is 16 and daughter 13, sharing a room and ive only just been given an appt for overcrowding, i have applied for endless properties, which they have all my details on line so they know the situation, but the 1 before last i was told i was 2nd in line to get, but didnt get , and the last 1 i bid for i was told was given to someone with priority? Erm, helloooo, im Flipping priority :rant:

ksheff2
04-02-2010, 11:12
Good luck with this cos my son is 16 and daughter 13, sharing a room and ive only just been given an appt for overcrowding, i have applied for endless properties, which they have all my details on line so they know the situation, but the 1 before last i was told i was 2nd in line to get, but didnt get , and the last 1 i bid for i was told was given to someone with priority? Erm, helloooo, im Flipping priority :rant:

Totally agree!
I have friends who have kids of opposite sex sharing rooms well into their teens..........Then theres the flip side of that, as I also know people who have been given 3 beds with 2 kids same sex.

I know people who have had demolition priority and they haven't been fortunate enough to get the properties they have been bidding for.

Sheffield is overwhelmed with people who have priority, so actually having priority counts for diddly-squat now.

Rabbit23
04-02-2010, 15:39
I think it's wrong to be honest they need their own personal space at that age, specially when teenagers it's not fair on tham at all. Whatever room is the largest then put a dividing wall in the middle to at least give them privacy. I have no children i'm pregnant with my first but if i was to have another i'd do all i can to make them have their own privacy until i could get a bigger house. i just think that it's wrong and the stupid government should do something about it (not that they will)!!

Rabbit23
04-02-2010, 15:41
How many other kids do you have?

I have 3 kids, all under 10 and Ive never known my midwives checking out the bedrooms and showing concern over mine having to share.

You really should see the housing, because they do tend to chop and change their rules and regulations to suit themselves.

And it's new apparently the midwifes coming, they come when i'm 36 weeks as a home visit. I don't need to check it's happening with everyone i know who's pregnant and i trust my midwife.

lubylou12
04-02-2010, 16:25
And it's new apparently the midwifes coming, they come when i'm 36 weeks as a home visit. I don't need to check it's happening with everyone i know who's pregnant and i trust my midwife.

i find that a bit odd to be honest, i gave birth only 3 n half weeks ago and have two other children, my midwife did do home visits towards the end but never wanted to see where the baby would be sleeping, she did it purely to make it easier for me in the late stages of pregnancy:huh:

if its new it must have only come in in the last 3 weeks or your midwife is just nosy lol, not trying to offend you hun, just find it kinda odd she wants to

x_LoUiSe_x
04-02-2010, 17:05
when i had my daughter in 2003 my midwife did a home visit to check where the baby would be sleeping but it was just for safety reasons, ie not next to a radiator, window ect

im currently expecting a boy any day now and my midwife did the same home visit. i told her that as i only have a 2 bed semi and my daughter has the small box room that my son will be in my room for the forseable future, she didnt even mention anything about them sharing a room being wrong.

we own our house but because of the decline in the market we cant move for some time as we would lose money on the sale of this house so we are going to have to wait a few years so they may end up sharing a few years down the line for a bit. there will be a 6 year age gap but im not worried about it.

foxy lady
04-02-2010, 17:09
In Alabama it is 82.:)

Womerry2
04-02-2010, 17:39
I know opposite sex siblings can't share a room within a certain age limit because of the simple fact they begin to experiment and that's why they need to be seperated.

Are we still talking about humans here?

rubydazzler
04-02-2010, 18:02
I know opposite sex siblings can't share a room within a certain age limit because of the simple fact they begin to experiment and that's why they need to be seperated. Siblings need to be separated because they begin to experiment? If you mean what I think you mean ... very rarely, I'd hazard a guess. They'd usually hate one another far too much for incest :)

Ms Macbeth
04-02-2010, 18:05

Here's a link to Sheffield Lettings policy, its the latest one from 2008. http://www.sheffieldpropertyshop.org.uk/resources/Lettings%20Policy%20document.pdf?ID=

The overcrowding policy is basically the same as the previous lettings policy, so I'm not sure why you think the rules and regs have changed.

On page 33 (Chapter 9) it states 9.2.1
A household is overcrowded if:
• people of opposite sex who do not normally live together as
husband and wife or civil partners have to share a room and
at least one of them is over ten years old; .

But, as there is a huge shortage of 2 bedroomed and larger council properties in Sheffield, waiting for priority and getting a bigger house could take a long time. Perhaps people need to consider some other options?

slimsid2000
04-02-2010, 19:28
Does anyone know the age limit of the opposite sex siblings sharing a bedroom??

In Alabama about 21.

Eater Sundae
04-02-2010, 20:33
I know opposite sex siblings can't share a room within a certain age limit because of the simple fact they begin to experiment and that's why they need to be seperated.

...and what is done to prevent same sex siblings experimenting?

Tony
04-02-2010, 21:27
I think social services would not allow this because of private parts of children etc an things. I maybe wrong but Im sure they wouldnt be happy with it

You could just tell them to shove off.

theripsaw
05-02-2010, 14:19
i just think that it's wrong and the stupid government should do something about it (not that they will)!!

Yeah, the government should sort it :rolleyes:

Kids can all sleep in the same bed for all i care. I dont want my taxes spent on rehousing families that arent capable of sorting their lives out :rant:

leviathan13
05-02-2010, 23:58
I think it's wrong to be honest they need their own personal space at that age, specially when teenagers it's not fair on tham at all. Whatever room is the largest then put a dividing wall in the middle to at least give them privacy. I have no children i'm pregnant with my first but if i was to have another i'd do all i can to make them have their own privacy until i could get a bigger house. i just think that it's wrong and the stupid government should do something about it (not that they will)!!

The only thing the government should do is be allowed to stop people having kids if the parents can't provide a suitably sized property for their offspring.

If a couple are in a 2 bed council house, and decide to have another child, then they should just have to deal with it instead of moaning that the council/government won't help them get a bigger house.

You created the situation, you deal with it.

ksheff2
06-02-2010, 12:30
Yeah, the government should sort it :rolleyes:

Kids can all sleep in the same bed for all i care. I dont want my taxes spent on rehousing families that arent capable of sorting their lives out :rant:

The only thing the government should do is be allowed to stop people having kids if the parents can't provide a suitably sized property for their offspring.

If a couple are in a 2 bed council house, and decide to have another child, then they should just have to deal with it instead of moaning that the council/government won't help them get a bigger house.

You created the situation, you deal with it.

Excuse me, but my other half is out of the house for 12 hours a day, sometimes longer, usually for 6 days a week....and he pays his taxes, BELIEVE ME, he pays his taxes!
We pay full rent, full council tax....why the hell should we sleep on the living room floor????????!!!!!

I dont have to explain or apologise to anyone for having my children.
We pay our way.....
There are plenty of families out there who DO NOT.

dongle
06-02-2010, 18:22
might be better to look at a private rent, or even buying as i should think that the rent on a 3 bed council house would be 70 plus per week ? far better in my opinion to be paying this towards a mortgage

natjack
06-02-2010, 18:48
Excuse me, but my other half is out of the house for 12 hours a day, sometimes longer, usually for 6 days a week....and he pays his taxes, BELIEVE ME, he pays his taxes!
We pay full rent, full council tax....why the hell should we sleep on the living room floor????????!!!!! I dont have to explain or apologise to anyone for having my children. We pay our way.....
There are plenty of families out there who DO NOT.If he has a good well paying job, you must be mad to be renting a council house unless you're hoping to buy it at a reduced price?

Rent is dead money, get on the ladder with a house that fits your family now and keep upgrading as it grows. At least then you'll be the one deciding how many bedrooms you want, not the government.

leviathan13
07-02-2010, 01:16
We pay full rent, full council tax....why the hell should we sleep on the living room floor????????!!!!!

I dont have to explain or apologise to anyone for having my children.
We pay our way.....
There are plenty of families out there who DO NOT.

So YOU decide to have more children than you claim your property can handle, then blame the council for not sorting it out for you?

Am I missing something?

olders82
04-03-2011, 12:45
im fighting with at min the houseing that is.. its 10 , but my littel girl not 10 yet and shairs with her 7 yr old brother, she going throw pubity and needs her own room but they jst turned me down got to wate till she 10..

olders82
04-03-2011, 12:48
and i alredy had boy and girl when i moved in 2 bed from a 3 but was told cos my son was under a yr old i had to take 2 bed..

Plain Talker
04-03-2011, 20:43
Definitely 10.
I asked at the housing the other week. Mind you, by the time my son reaches 10, they will have upped it to 12.
It did used to be 8 at one time.

The demand for 3 bed properties is so huge and there aren't enough of them. (Maybe something to do with demolishing thousands of homes and not enough rebuilds? :/ )

You might be really lucky like I was, and be told that you and your oh have to sleep on your living room floor.

No, it's never been 8... It was 10 when I was a child, forty years ago.

Plain Talker
04-03-2011, 20:45

Yes, sure you can carry on and allow your boys/girls to share a bedroom, but in the eyes of the law as you say, they should be separated.
Many people, (myself included) live in a 2 bedroomed property and have no choice but to have their kids share a bedroom.
Because there aren't enough 3 bed properties, the council, like I mentioned before, are telling parents to use living room/dining room floors as beds.

My bezzie mate as a teenager was in a 2-bed, with her parents and her brother and sister. Sister was 18, she was fifteen, brother was 14 and the three of them shared a room back in 79.

Plain Talker
04-03-2011, 20:51
*mod hat off*

No, not really.

I think it's more to do with the fact that at 10 and above, puberty will be kicking in, and the embarrassment factor of becoming "grown-up" *coff* without a bit of privacy.

The perceived risk is not aligned with the actual risk faced. Not every brother wants to "Pounce" on his sister, and not every sister wants to "pounce" on her brother. Shared bedrooms are not a hotbed of lust, contrary to what folk might want you to believe.

Plain Talker
04-03-2011, 20:54

*mod hat off, again*

six-months and one week (seven days) on priority, actually trumps (for example) six weeks and four days.

The other person may have had a gnats longer time on the waiting list than yourself, hence the property being offered to them before your family.

madasfish
04-03-2011, 20:57
My father ws one of 8 - and they lived in a 2 up 2 down.... as did many more of his generation. Where did this thing of one child in one room come from?

As far adults having to sleep on the floor ; I am certain no one has told then they have to do this - what will have been discussed is sleeping in the living room perhaps on a sofa bed. The other answer clearly is for adults to share with the children ie the mum and the daughter / the son and the father if parents are so worried about the children sharing.

There bottom line is that their isn't enough social housing now - the buy your house schemes saw to that.

clairelaw123
04-03-2011, 20:59
I'm really shocked at what I've just read! As people before have said why should the council sort out a biggest house for you just because you've decided to have more children?
I don't understand this at all.

madasfish
04-03-2011, 21:01
Im sure that social services could make it a issue if your children are sharing a room and in their eyes too old to do so.

Out of interest how do you think they would know? I own my home and have never been involved with social servcies so how would they know if I had 6 kids in my 4 bed house?