Pay as you go gas & electricity

Hi

My Girlfriend's house has both gas & electric pay as you go metres with British Gas which are costing a fortune. (£80 on gas in 3 weeks!).

Anyone know how easy it is to get off this kind on metre?

Cheers

i use to be with british gas for my gas and n power for my eletric and i was putting a fortune in now i am with edf for both my gas and eletric and its much cheaper i also found insted of switching my heating off when it got warm i just turned the thermostate down to 0 then when i am cold just swithch it back up to 20 if you have your thermostate high like on 25 plus that uses alot of gas as well, the cheaper way is to go quaterly bills but i prefer to pay as you go as i know where i am with my gas and eletric and dont get hugh bills i would try and change your supplier if you browse the internet im sure it will tell you the best supplier out there but becareful because when i left n power they told me that i was in front with my eletric and sent me a cheque out for £54 then the week after they sent me a letter saying i owed them £78 i just egnored it ....

To be honest, it has been cold the past few weeks. Ive had to put more than normal on. Something I found good, top your meter up as much as possible (I got both to around £80) then each month I just put £30 on each, the more money it has on it, the less it seems to take. Im with BG for both too.

Thanks for the replies.

Are Pay as you go metres a lot more expenisive than regular ones?

as far as i understand it, british gas pre pay meters dont have standing charges (not sure about other companies), which means you only pay for what you use so they shouldn't be any more expensive than a regular meter, it's probably just the fact that it's been soooooo cold that she has spent more on gas and probably due to it being dark early that she has spent more on electricity.

i was paying £142 amonth for gas and lecky on direct debit, powergen said as a whole over the year it wasnt enough, so ive had prepay meters fitted, its a pain to have to go down and top them up,and you have to keep your eye on how much credit is in them (my gas has £5 emergency on it but it only lasts a day when its cold) no good running out at 11pm!! but on a whole ive cut my bill down to £100 a month even though its been cold, when you pay by direct debit you waste a lot of power and gas because you dont think what its costing at the time, but when you have a prepay meter and you can see that hard earned £20 electric credit ticking down very quickly you soon go round and turn lights off your not using, and your gas fire, certainly makes you think not waste your cash

Ive the same kind of system....think there is a rental standing charge for these meters which at a guess is around £1.50.a week.,maybe a month??...and also the tariffs are slightly higher.....it cost me a absolute fortune aswell....as much as £25 - £35 a week for gas and £20 for electric....Im with scottish power ,and I belive you can ask for these meters to be removed and recieve a 1/4 bill which they will ,subject to there not being any arrears owing...The meters were allready installed when i moved in and my landlords a rather strange chappy strange...and he wants them leaving in???...other wise id have them removed..

i was paying £142 amonth for gas and lecky on direct debit, powergen said as a whole over the year it wasnt enough, so ive had prepay meters fitted, its a pain to have to go down and top them up,and you have to keep your eye on how much credit is in them (my gas has £5 emergency on it but it only lasts a day when its cold) no good running out at 11pm!! but on a whole ive cut my bill down to £100 a month even though its been cold, when you pay by direct debit you waste a lot of power and gas because you dont think what its costing at the time, but when you have a prepay meter and you can see that hard earned £20 electric credit ticking down very quickly you soon go round and turn lights off your not using, and your gas fire, certainly makes you think not waste your cash

Good opinion there...On a 1/4 bill you dont bother turning things off then end up with a higher bill...when your on pre pay...you can set your self how much your gonna spend a week and make it last...if theres a tenner left for a couple of days...youll make sure you dont leave the boiler on full when your out at the shops...swings and round abouts realy.

I spend 30-40 pound a week on gas, id be interested to find out how I can get off the prepay metres

I spend 30-40 pound a week on gas, id be interested to find out how I can get off the prepay metres

A week? Are you running a crematorium?

I am on prepay in a large semi. Looked into changing back but I like the idea of knowing what I am using and the savings were only about 0.2 pence per unit. I moved from Npower to EDL and noticed no real difference. I use about £2 of electric a day and less for gas, although this does go up in winter.

It costs about £60 to go back onto a credit meter and thats per meter. Payg meters are usually a higher tariff than credit. You would think as you are paying up front it would be cheaper.

If you have a washing machine with a eco or low temp wash button try the 15c washing gel and do a cold wash. Works fine for us and saves on the heating element in the washing machine. Wear slippers and warmer clothes and keep the temp down.

Summat wrong somewhere I spend £5 a week electric and £10-15 on gas on pre-pay token meter. It's not been that cold these last 3 weeks to explain that much difference