View Full Version : Going to France on the ferry: do we need passports?

juliejason
07-12-2009, 08:35
can anyone tell me if im wanting to go across to france on the ferry , do me and my kids need a passport ?
thank you so much
julie

DaniBabi
07-12-2009, 08:37
Yep you do!

GrannyGranny
07-12-2009, 09:07
Must resist
Must resist
Must resist..........

Nicesheff
07-12-2009, 09:22
can anyone tell me if im wanting to go across to france on the ferry , do me and my kids need a passport ?
thank you so much
julie

Where have you been all this time?

Ann
07-12-2009, 09:29
Why would you think you wouldn't need a passport??

Nicesheff
07-12-2009, 09:38

Proberly because they havent been further then skegness....

bus man
07-12-2009, 09:42
This is the OFFICIAL* UK passport site it tells you how to get one but doesnt mention if you need one for france

http://www.ips.gov.uk/cps/rde/xchg/ips_live/hs.xsl/1056.htm

* be carefull with passport sites as some sites offer you a £1-50p per minite "advice line " when the information can be obtained free elsewhere

BasilRathbon
07-12-2009, 09:44
Amazingly there are still some people around who think you can get into Wales without a passport!

cgksheff
07-12-2009, 09:45
http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-living-abroad/travel-advice-by-country/europe/france1?ta=entryRequirements&pg=3

Nicesheff
07-12-2009, 09:46
Amazingly there are still some people around who think you can get into Wales without a passport!

I know shocking isnt it!

andyrad29
07-12-2009, 10:13
and Stocksbridge!.....

HeadingNorth
07-12-2009, 10:23

From any other EU country, to any other EU country, you wouldn't. The UK is pretty much unique in that regard by still demanding you have one.

perplexed
07-12-2009, 11:58
Assuming you're going from Dover, the French will actually check your passport at Dover rather than in Calais.

And visa-versa, British immigration will look at your passport in Calais before you get anywhere near the ferry...

martss
07-12-2009, 12:36
Slight correction to the above post, the French MIGHT check your passport at Dover, the British WILL check your passport in Calais. I've been across several times in the last 2 years and only had the French look at passports once, if there's a queue they wave you through, sometimes there's not even anyone at border control. However the ferry operater will want to see passports when you check in. Check out daytripper.net for a discount code, top right corner of the home page.

juliejason
07-12-2009, 13:01
what about portsmouth to isle of wight ?.....
we just want a day shopping....
cheers

Captain_Scarlet
07-12-2009, 13:12
Isle of Wight is the UK. You might need to show ID but that's the ferry operator's prerogative, not HM Customs (which you don't drive through when going on Wightlink or RedFunnel).

We can't help you as much as the ferry operator you buy tickets from. So ask Brittany Ferries, P&O, Sealink, Norfolk Line, Louis Drefus Lines what requirements are as they can tell you what they want you to bring and what the local HM Customs offices want. Same for domestic ferry companies.

martss
07-12-2009, 16:46
I've done Dover to Calais, drive down the coast to Boulogne (which is much nicer than Calais) have lunch, walk around the old town, back to Calias on the autoroute, shop at Cité Europe then back to Dover. You'd need an over night stay in Dover though, Travelinn near docks on sea front or on the A2 on top of the cliffs.

fred_notdead
07-12-2009, 17:15
thank you so much
julie

I went earlier this year - end of August, Dover to Calais.

Didn't have it checked going out, but did coming back.:confused:

slacko
07-12-2009, 17:23
You need a passport. Simple.

shanes teeth
07-12-2009, 17:29
what about portsmouth to isle of wight ?.....
we just want a day shopping....
cheers

I often nip over to the Isle of Wight for cheap booze and fags.And who can resist the excellent cheese and pate.

millhouses24
07-12-2009, 17:31

Or London! Don't forget your passport if you are going anywhere down South. You need a Northerner Visitor visa that will identify you as a flat capped Hendersons Relish drinking savage who needs special treatment.

(:help::help:)

martss
07-12-2009, 17:47
I spend alot of time in Kent, I'm slowly introducing them to Hendersons, it's a bit sharp for their delicate palate at first, but they seem to get to like it. I'm struggling with the bap/ breadcake dilema tho!

Darth Vader
07-12-2009, 18:35

Getting in to Wales is not a problem....

ukdobby
07-12-2009, 19:44
Getting in to Wales is not a problem....

Give over:D

SHYTOT
07-12-2009, 19:50

There are some people who think you might want to get into Wales.

slacko
07-12-2009, 19:52
There are some people who think you might want to get into Wales.

Some people like sheep!

:D

Darth Vader
07-12-2009, 20:03
ukdobby's right. I'm sorry. Enough already. There's enough mileage in the OP without a full onslaught on Wales and the Welsh again.

chimay
07-12-2009, 20:07
A couple of years ago a German friend came over using her German ID card instead of a passport. Thinking that the continentals are quite lax about their borders I wasn't surprised. I then spent most of the time of her visit worrying what would happen if our passport controllers wouldn't let her out of the country. I needn't have worried they just let her stroll straight through without batting an eye.

Tyranna
07-12-2009, 20:21
From any other EU country, to any other EU country, you wouldn't. The UK is pretty much unique in that regard by still demanding you have one.

The confusion whether or not the OP needed passports to go to France on the ferry may have arisen if they are travelling without alighting in France, in other words, on a 'mini-cruise'. However, I think it might still be necessary even for non-alighting passengers to carry passports, certainly some form of ID.

One overseas country that you CAN travel to without a passport is IRELAND (either the Republic of Ireland or northern Ireland), as the Republic of Ireland has an agreement with the British Government to allow free passage between the two jurisdictions, similar to the now Europe-wide 'Schengen' Agreement between most countries on the continent.

The whole nonsense over keeping the requirement for British visitors to the Continent to carry passports seems particularly lame nowadays though, with such levels of unrestricted and frequently illegal immigration from Eastern Europe and even further afield, not being in the slightest bit affected by the inconvenience for hard-up British holidaymakers having to fork out hundreds of pounds for full UK passports simply to visit France or Belgium for a shopping trip or a weekend break...:rant:

Nicesheff
07-12-2009, 21:45
Do you need a passport to go to scotland?

Agent Orange
07-12-2009, 21:56
The confusion whether or not the OP needed passports to go to France on the ferry may have arisen if they are travelling without alighting in France, in other words, on a 'mini-cruise'. However, I think it might still be necessary even for non-alighting passengers to carry passports, certainly some form of ID.

One overseas country that you CAN travel to without a passport is IRELAND (either the Republic of Ireland or northern Ireland), as the Republic of Ireland has an agreement with the British Government to allow free passage between the two jurisdictions, similar to the now Europe-wide 'Schengen' Agreement between most countries on the continent.

The whole nonsense over keeping the requirement for British visitors to the Continent to carry passports seems particularly lame nowadays though, with such levels of unrestricted and frequently illegal immigration from Eastern Europe and even further afield, not being in the slightest bit affected by the inconvenience for hard-up British holidaymakers having to fork out hundreds of pounds for full UK passports simply to visit France or Belgium for a shopping trip or a weekend break...:rant:

Good idea. Get rid of the passport checks cos it's inconveniencing those poor clandestines hiding in those lorries etc. Without any form of passport check, they will have such a tough time just buying a ticket and strolling on to the several hundred ferries that sail each day :)

bulldog D
07-12-2009, 22:25
thank you so much
julie

Although it never stopped Henry V..............yes you do, hope you enjoy the trip.

Bloomdido
07-12-2009, 22:40
When I went to France, I just had to fill in a card. No passport.

truman
07-12-2009, 22:52

How long ago was that?

Longcol
08-12-2009, 00:32
The French hardly ever bother with checking passports - I've been to France 30 plus times and French passport control is usually on a coffee break.

Try getting back into this country without one though - that's a different matter altogether.

Treatment
08-12-2009, 12:19
You need a passport to get into France, but coming back they aren't that fussed.

BasilRathbon
08-12-2009, 12:32
You need a passport to get into France, but coming back they aren't that fussed.

So in theory you could make a bit of cash by selling your passport in France, assuming of course the person who wants to buy it looks a bit like you?

hodgepodge
08-12-2009, 13:54

We drive to france most years and have always had to show our passports

hodgepodge
08-12-2009, 13:56
Do you need a passport to go to scotland?

No passport required, but just don't bring back their monopoly money and expect to spend it without the checkout staff calling security.......its the only time in your life you'll be able to use the phrase "But its legal tender"!:hihi:

Treatment
08-12-2009, 14:00
So in theory you could make a bit of cash by selling your passport in France, assuming of course the person who wants to buy it looks a bit like you?
Exactamundo, a lot of cocoa butter and a big black tash - job's a good 'un.

Thebanginman
08-12-2009, 14:03
How long ago was that?
See above..He was probably with Henry v in a past reincarnation

davyboy
08-12-2009, 14:20
Or London! Don't forget your passport if you are going anywhere down South. You need a Northerner Visitor visa that will identify you as a flat capped Hendersons Relish drinking savage who needs special treatment.

(:help::help:)

And don't forget to have your ferret chipped and vaccinated against rabied yorkies.